Coming Soon..NEW MDR MENUS AND ENHANCED DINING

About 3 month ago I got this from a RCCL employee also a good source, which confirms your source

Apparently they are spending a load of money upgrading their food, it was a major complaint by passengers.

I did not have a release date

Glad it was corroborated... my friends are first time cruisers and this has them excited as well!

I'm glad it was corroborated too. I just hope the dates are correct.
Just be SURE to post your findings! I will be sailing on the Freedom sailing of 09/23/2012 and I would love to know. You can always drop a note on our roll call thread at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1458342 (an actual picture of each of the nightly menus may be too much to ask but it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!)

Thanks!!!!

Freddie

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

Bon Appetite Everyone!

This is real exciting news ,not to get off the subject but I was curious to why you will never sail ncl again.I have heard bad reveiws but my cousin convinced me to try the breakaway in sept 2013.Hope I didnt make a bad decision.

How in the world does potentially great news such as this dissolve into an argument? Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first guess would be the anonymity of a posting on the internet. People can/do act/say in ways that face to face they might not or heck, they might, never know with some folks :D. However, I have found that while someone will be nice to you in person they are not necessarily that way on the internet. Had it happen to my DW. We met someone on a cruise and said person was very nice face to face but if my DW disagreed with her in a thread/posting it was "GLOVES OFF".

Hopefully we will know well before that. As per the OP Freedom is scheduled to roll out the new menus this Sunday :)

Hopefully the first Cruise Critic member onboard on Sunday will go straight to the MDR, take a picture of the menu, and upload it here.

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

Bon Appetite Everyone!

Does the above mean, the vegetarians will be paying more to accomodate carnivores?

Does the above mean, the vegetarians will be paying more to accomodate carnivores?

No more than the non-parents pay to accommodate those with children, or the non-smokers pay to accommodate smokers, etc etc. ;)

I for one will always welcome change for the better in the MDR, who wouldn't?

But I will wait to get truly excited when either cruisers confirm the changes from PERSONAL experience, or we get an OFFICIAL release.

I will post something Sunday evening from the Freedom and the conspirarcy theory will either be proven as fact or fiction. As I said in a prior post, I am on the Freedom this coming Sunday so I will have a pretty good idea by 8:15 PM. I will post whatever it turns out to be.

Smitty

I will post something Sunday evening from the Freedom and the conspirarcy theory will either be proven as fact or fiction. As I said in a prior post, I am on the Freedom this coming Sunday so I will have a pretty good idea by 8:15 PM. I will post whatever it turns out to be.

Smitty

Our mole! You will be showered with many kudos regardless of what you tell us. Thanks.

Smitty

Thanks for doing that!!! Enjoy your cruise

The information has not come directly from Royal as a Formal Announcement.

We are to believe that a directly involved official at the company has compromised their integrity to leak information to someone who claims to be "Loyal to Royal", then happily spills the beans on something they are working on.

But I will wait to get truly excited when either cruisers confirm the changes from PERSONAL experience, or we get an OFFICIAL release.

Compromised their integrity? I don't think its that serious. Besides, at least its a positive topic unlike the smoking/alcohol/chair-hogging threads.

Smitty

If the changes don't occur as predicted, I predict that there will be some who will claim that the premature release of the information caused RCI to revise their schedule and delay its implementation. Conspiracy theorists always have a theory to cover all contingencies.:D

Smitty

Thank you! The future of our MDR happiness is in your hands. :D

Otherwise Crime-stoppers will be hearing from me. ;)

a directly involved official at the company has compromised their integrity to leak information to someone who claims to be "Loyal to Royal"

This reminds me of the time that G.O.B. Bluth was kicked out of the Alliance of Magicians when that reported revealed the secret of the Aztec Temple illusion on the nightly news! He was blackballed for life!

Goodness gracious!

Smitty

Please keep us posted.

This should be interesting.

Thanks.

Have a great cruise!!

Sadly a lot of threads end up this way, but this thread was controversial from the start, by virtue of this:

QUOTE: "Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you
my source is directly involved in this project
and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks."

The information has not come directly from Royal as a Formal Announcement.

We are to believe that a directly involved official at the company has compromised their integrity to leak information to someone who claims to be "Loyal to Royal", then happily spills the beans on something they are working on.

This really is not unusual for Royal to "leak" changes this way. I remember several times in the past when changes have appeared here and later turned out to be correct. In the past I have even acted on the unofficial information and been glad that I did. The trick is to know who is posting the info because there are so many here that I don't trust.

Archived