Which option is better?

kenandteri

Another couple and my DH and I are sailing on the Fascination at the end of September. We are driving to Jacksonville from Louisville, about a 10 hour dirve. We have two options for driving... 1) leave right after work Friday afternoon, drive for about 5-6 hours and stop overnight, completing the trip in the morning - which would put us at the Port about noonish... or 2) leave around midnight and drive straight through to the port, which would get us there around 10 am.

I know there are pros and cons to both. What would you suggest?

Our family is full of "drivers" like that where we prefer to drive to the port. If it were US doing the trip I would be more inclined to leave after work on Friday and drive as far as possible so that you could have less of a trip the next morning.

Is there any way you could get off work at lunchtime on Friday and leave then and just drive through and stay at a park/cruise hotel so that you could spend the night and then take the hotel's shuttle to the port (leaving the car at the hotel while you're on cruise)? We did do a park/cruise hotel in Jax when we cruised out of there once.

If it were me I would leave around noon and get to the port the night before so I have some just in case time.

That would be my first choice too.... but it's not an option as DH and the other guy can't get off work early on Friday.

Definately go the day before you never know traffic, car problems, etc. Also if you get there the night before you be more relaxed the next day when you arrive at the ship also you be right close to the ship so you get on early too!

Definately night before.

Go the day before. You cruise will begin with everyone rested and ready to go, not tired and cranky.

I agree, with any drive you have to factor in mishaps such as vehicle problems or traffic. That 10 hour drive may take longer, so definately leave after work on Friday and drive until you can't drive any more, get a hotel room overnight, and finish us the drive the next morning, arriving at the port rested and refreshed.

We once did (almost) the same thing, had to drive from NJ to Myrtle Beach, a 10 or 12 hour drive (I forgot). We left after work and drove through the night. Around 3am we grew too tired so we pulled into a Sleep Inn for the night, woke up at 7am quick shower and free breakfast, and we were on the road by 8am, arriving in Myrtle Beach by 11am, just in time to check-in to our hotel.

Archived