40th Birthday Cruise - Med or Alaska?

sbt518

I wouldn't take Celebrity to Alaska. Go with Princess or Holland America. Make sure you are sailing the inside passage as well and not sailing open ocean west of Vancouver Island of going out of Seattle. If you can do out of Vancouver that is the best itinerary.

You all make such great points.

We've only been on the Eclipse once and we were sold on -X- from then on. I know that Princess has better Alaskan itineraries but I want to cruise Celebrity on my birthday.

The Solstice from Seattle is intriguing though. I'll have to look at the schedule.

I definitely want to do a cruise from Barcelona, I've never been there but I think August is not the time to do that. The husband does not deal well with the heat.

We've only been on the Eclipse once and we were sold on -X- from then on. I know that Princess has better Alaskan itineraries but I want to cruise Celebrity on my birthday.

The Solstice from Seattle is intriguing though. I'll have to look at the schedule.

I definitely want to do a cruise from Barcelona, I've never been there but I think August is not the time to do that. The husband does not deal well with the heat.

I really wouldn't let the "August" in the Med issue sway your decision. I'm doing the Barcelona roundtrip 12 nighter on the Solstice on Aug 27th this year - and having been lucky enough to live on the Riviera for a year, I know it is crazy hot from May right through September.....August is no different than the rest. While most Europeans are on holiday in August.....most North Americans are there in May June July and September....so it doesn't matter - trust me!

Besides, the weather is changing so fast lately, the only thing we can be certain of is uncertainty.

You cannot go wrong either way. We did an Alaska cruise (RT out of Vancouver) with Celebrity (when I was 40) before we did the longer Med cruise a few years later. If I had only 10-11 days, I think a 7 night Alaska cruise would be ideal with some pre/post cruise time in Vancouver which is a wonderful city, I might add. And like you, we wanted to sail with Celebrity bad enough that we did not go with the Alaska big boys--HAL and Princess.

Finally, here is one of my favorite photos from our Alaska cruise (a floatplane excursion to Glacier Bay National Park):

2038292310051801892S600x600Q85.jpg

How about a compromise--do Norway. Europe with the fabulous scenery of an Alaska cruise and the not so hot temperatures of the Med.

That certainly is an option and those leave from Southampton usually. Flights to London are cheaper than the mainland of Europe and we have a friend we could stay with in London.

I think basically I need to spend all of 2013 cruising in order to go on all these birthday cruises.

That certainly is an option and those leave from Southampton usually. Flights to London are cheaper than the mainland of Europe and we have a friend we could stay with in London.

I think basically I need to spend all of 2013 cruising in order to go on all these birthday cruises.

Sounds like a great birthday year is forthcoming for you.

Check out Celebrity sailings: 08/03 Iceland & Fjords--14 nites on the Eclipse

08/16 Norway Fjords--10 nites on the Infinity

08/31 Norway Fjords--8 nites on the Eclipse

We have not sailed to Iceland but have been there on a land tour. Beautiful.

The ports on both of the Norway fjords only cruises are great. One nice thing is that you don't have to do excursions to enjoy the scenery. Just get off and wander around. Very manageble. Flam railway is a must. Good luck and enjoy planning your birthday celebration.

Personally, I would choose the Med, but not in August. I love to traipse around those cities, but if a typical heat was present, I'd just be melting! Even going in September would be much nicer.

If you must go in August, Alaska would probably be the better choice. I've never been, but it's on my list :)

For my 40th, I did Australia & New Zealand, although it was technically on my 40 1/2th birthday, since that was a better time to go. And for my 50th next month, I'll be doing the Panama Canal. No, they don't sail there in August, so I'm prolonging the celebration and going in November.

But whatever you do, have fun!!! And happy early early birthday :)

I think your answer is in your last sentence.

I have sailed Alaska once in August and have sailed in Europe 4 times, three of those on S-class ships and once on the Millennium. While Europe in May or September would be my first choice, I would suggest Alaska if you are locked into the August date.

As well, it is so expensive to fly to Europe now (even if you are "paying" in points) that personally, I couldn't justify going for only 10-12 days. We always have at least 5 days before and 5 days after a cruise so we can explore a few places for longer than the one day you get in most cruise ports. It is also true that much of Europe is on holiday in August, with all that that entails.

We sailed the Eastern Med last July/early August because my daughter is a teacher and had never been on a cruise, so we just bit the bullet and went when the price was too good not to go. Although we had a wonderful family cruise, I know we did not make the best use of our time in port, because sometimes we were just melting in the heat and "caved", going back early to our wonderful air-conditioned ship earlier than we would have, in more hospitable weather. :).

We sailed the Adriatic and Croatian coast (fabulous itinerary) this year in June/July (again, because I got a price I just couldn't refuse) and it was somewhat better, temperature wise, but nowhere near as enjoyable as our 13-day cruise to the eastern Med that started on May 25th, or our 12-day cruise from Southampton to Barcelona via Morocco in early May.

Whatever you decide, I know you will have a spectacular time.

I spent a milestone birthday in Mykonos last year, and that was the best way I could think of to just celebrate the day and ignore the number :p.

Oh, and I was on the Millennium this May, two weeks after she was Solsticized. She is a great ship, with a wonderful crew, and I would not hesitate to sail her to Alaska.

I'm dreading errr, I mean excitedly planning for my 40th birthday next year (2013) and DH and I are going to go on a cruise to celebrate.

My birthday is in August so that is when we'll go.

We can't take more than a week or 10 days so it would be a shorter trip.

If we did Alaska we'd probably do a R/T Vancouver cruise and save the land portion for another year when we can take more time. Spending a few days in Vancouver before the cruise.

If we did the Med we'd take a 10 or 11 night cruise and fly in the day before.

I've been to Europe by land on the cheap when I was a student.

I've never been to Alaska.

My husband has never been to either.

We're 40sih (you knew that though from reading this) fairly active and like to see wildlife as well as tour cities.

So I can't decide which to pick. He said it is my choice, plan it and he'll be ready to go when the time comes.

I know we'd love both but they are so different. And I've decided that we're cruising on Celebrity even if they aren't the best for either of these itineraries because it is my birthday and I want to be spoiled and I know I can get that on Celebrity.

Any suggestions?

What would you do? Or what DID you do for your big birthday/anniversary etc?

Thanks In Advance!

We went to Alaska in August and it was much cooler than i expected. We also did a 10 night greek isles cruise out of Rome in August. HOT! i vote for Europe!

Now it is looking like the Med in June.

I asked the husband if he could take 2 weeks off in June next year because a friend of ours is also looking at this cruise and he said he thought he could.

Next thing I know he's telling me there are Sunset Veranda cabins available and we should get one before they are gone!:D

Now it is looking like the Med in June. I asked the husband if he could take 2 weeks off in June next year because a friend of ours is also looking at this cruise and he said he thought he could. Next thing I know he's telling me there are Sunset Veranda cabins available and we should get one before they are gone!:D

Great news!! We did mid-June last sumer and it worked out super well. You can see a full report outlined below. In mid June 2006, we did Greek Isles and Turkish Coast. Also worked out so well for weather, plus that's before many schools are out in Europe. Less crowds and many other pluses.

Keep planning and thinking ahead. Let us know any added questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 94,685 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

[quote name='sbt518']Now it is looking like the Med in June.

I asked the husband if he could take 2 weeks off in June next year because a friend of ours is also looking at this cruise and he said he thought he could.

Next thing I know he's telling me there are Sunset Veranda cabins available and we should get one before they are gone!:D[/QUOTE]

I have done both cruises, more than once. If you are able to take the cruise in June I would recommend the Mediterranean one. However, if you can only take it in August, I would go to Alaska, instead. Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive and the August heat in that part of the world will make you feel like quitting shore excursions in the middle of them. Edited by Bridge Maven

Just did the Med and loved, loved ,loved it. We also did an Alaska cruise with 10 days on our own land trip. Hated the ports in the Alaska cruise, I don't need all the same stores that are in the Caribbean. Luckily we booked excursions that took us outside of every port. Now the 10 day land trip in Alaska was beyond amazing, we rented a motor home and traveled at our leisure. We passed many cruise ship busses with masses of people and knew we could never do that. So if you get a chance I highly recommend a land tour of Alaksa on your own, not through the cruis line!

[quote name='sbt518']Now it is looking like the Med in June.

Next thing I know he's telling me there are Sunset Veranda cabins available and we should get one before they are gone!:D[/quote]

That will be fabulous. If you have some flexibility, earlier in June would be wonderful.

You might want to do a little research about Sunset Veranda cabins if you are sailing on a Solstice-class ship. I love the aft cabins on the M-class ships, but the S-class ships have almost no overhang, so you will be really exposed to the sun. I do know that this works for some people, but for me, not so much :p.

Congratulations on getting one step closer to that Mediterranean cruise!

Good choice and definitely pick one that includes Venice. Venice really is the premier port in Italy. It is fantastic- dreamy! I agree with others that favor the Eastern Med over the Western Med. But my choice would be either the Silhouette roundtrip Venice or the Equinox roundtrip Barcelona that overnights in Venice. Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I feel like Europe is very easy to navigate on land, unlike Alaska. That is why I've been to Europe and rented cars and taken trains several times, but will be taking an Alaskan cruise.

Take a look at the ports on the Med, and decide if you want to see them all? Keep things in mind like the Civitavecchia and Livorno ports are not convenient to Rome and Florence, respectively.

Either will be beautiful!

[quote name='Gig103']I feel like Europe is very easy to navigate on land, unlike Alaska. That is why I've been to Europe and rented cars and taken trains several times, but will be taking an Alaskan cruise.

Take a look at the ports on the Med, and decide if you want to see them all? Keep things in mind like the Civitavecchia and Livorno ports are not convenient to Rome and Florence, respectively.

Either will be beautiful![/quote]

I do agree with this and have traveled Europe and Italy by train. AND I agree with your comment about Rome so we've picked a Reflection sailing that starts and ends in Rome so we can spend more than 12 hours there.
We will miss Venice, Florence and Pisa but could someday go back to Italy and do those by land. We'll also be going to several Greek Islands and an overnight in Istanbul. So I think this will be a good mixture of history and relaxation with the islands and 3 sea days.

I'm not sure I'd ever go to Turkey on a land vacation so I'm excited to spend a day and a half in Istanbul and a day in Kusadasi (sp?)

When I was in Athens I wasn't a huge fan of the city so I'll rush the husband through all the important sites in one day!

And then someday we'll go on cruise that leaves from Barcelona or just maybe a trip to Spain because it is on my bucket list to see Gaudi's work as well. As is the Panama Canal AND Alaska, so we must save our pennies...

We can't do it all with this one trip so with thanks to all of you for your input we've settled on something that will work for us for this trip.

[quote name='sbt518']I do agree with this and have traveled Europe and Italy by train. AND I agree with your comment about Rome so we've picked a Reflection sailing that starts and ends in Rome so we can spend more than 12 hours there.
We will miss Venice, Florence and Pisa but could someday go back to Italy and do those by land. We'll also be going to several Greek Islands and an overnight in Istanbul. So I think this will be a good mixture of history and relaxation with the islands and 3 sea days.

I'm not sure I'd ever go to Turkey on a land vacation so I'm excited to spend a day and a half in Istanbul and a day in Kusadasi (sp?)

When I was in Athens I wasn't a huge fan of the city so I'll rush the husband through all the important sites in one day!

And then someday we'll go on cruise that leaves from Barcelona or just maybe a trip to Spain because it is on my bucket list to see Gaudi's work as well. As is the Panama Canal AND Alaska, so we must save our pennies...

We can't do it all with this one trip so with thanks to all of you for your input we've settled on something that will work for us for this trip.[/QUOTE]

You are going to love Dubrovnik, Santorini, Istanbul (do your own thing here- it's easy) and Ephesus!!! They are awesome and sailing through the Dardenelles is so beautiful and romantic. Mykonos do a beach day somewhere (the town is boring) and Naples- my son loved Capri if you don't want to do Pompeii. Ephesus was more interesting than Pompeii and the Terrrace Houses are a must. Have a wonderful trip. We stopped in Pireus (Athens) on two of our cruises and I made that a pool day. Never got off the ship there. Edited by rebeccalouiseagain