40th Birthday Cruise - Med or Alaska?

sbt518

I'm dreading errr, I mean excitedly planning for my 40th birthday next year (2013) and DH and I are going to go on a cruise to celebrate.

My birthday is in August so that is when we'll go.

We can't take more than a week or 10 days so it would be a shorter trip.

If we did Alaska we'd probably do a R/T Vancouver cruise and save the land portion for another year when we can take more time. Spending a few days in Vancouver before the cruise.

If we did the Med we'd take a 10 or 11 night cruise and fly in the day before.

I've been to Europe by land on the cheap when I was a student.

I've never been to Alaska.

My husband has never been to either.

We're 40sih (you knew that though from reading this) fairly active and like to see wildlife as well as tour cities.

So I can't decide which to pick. He said it is my choice, plan it and he'll be ready to go when the time comes.

I know we'd love both but they are so different. And I've decided that we're cruising on Celebrity even if they aren't the best for either of these itineraries because it is my birthday and I want to be spoiled and I know I can get that on Celebrity.

Any suggestions?

What would you do? Or what DID you do for your big birthday/anniversary etc?

Thanks In Advance!

At the end of the day, I can't decide for you. However, I can give you the questions I would be asking myself in the decision-making process:

-What is my budget, and what is the total cost of each scenario: you have to consider all costs, airfare, hotels, transfers, etc.

-What cruises are available during the timeframe I want to go: both of these cruises are about the itinerary as much as the ship/line.

-Where do I want to go, really: and note that I put this after looking at the available cruises, as you have a very specific time perimeter during which you want to cruise... So, look at your cruise options, and start researching the ports for each, and get a sense of what each port/cruise offers.

It seems a bit absurd and basic, but get the cruise brochures for each destination, and read. Which one attracts you the most? What looks like the most fun?

Of course, you could split the difference and do a Norwegian Fjords cruise... :D

I'm dreading errr, I mean excitedly planning for my 40th birthday next year (2013) and DH and I are going to go on a cruise to celebrate.

My birthday is in August so that is when we'll go.

We can't take more than a week or 10 days so it would be a shorter trip.

If we did Alaska we'd probably do a R/T Vancouver cruise and save the land portion for another year when we can take more time. Spending a few days in Vancouver before the cruise.

If we did the Med we'd take a 10 or 11 night cruise and fly in the day before.

I've been to Europe by land on the cheap when I was a student.

I've never been to Alaska.

My husband has never been to either.

We're 40sih (you knew that though from reading this) fairly active and like to see wildlife as well as tour cities.

So I can't decide which to pick. He said it is my choice, plan it and he'll be ready to go when the time comes.

I know we'd love both but they are so different. And I've decided that we're cruising on Celebrity even if they aren't the best for either of these itineraries because it is my birthday and I want to be spoiled and I know I can get that on Celebrity.

Any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance!

Done both, and loved both, but my vote goes to the MED!!!! Check the Equinox departing from Barcelona, with an overnight in Venice!!! Great ship, fabulous ports of call!!!

I'm dreading errr, I mean excitedly planning for my 40th birthday next year (2013) and DH and I are going to go on a cruise to celebrate. My birthday is in August so that is when we'll go. We can't take more than a week or 10 days so it would be a shorter trip.

I've been to Europe by land on the cheap when I was a student. I've never been to Alaska. My husband has never been to either. We're 40sih (you knew that though from reading this) fairly active and like to see wildlife as well as tour cities. So I can't decide which to pick. He said it is my choice, plan it and he'll be ready to go when the time comes. I know we'd love both but they are so different. And I've decided that we're cruising on Celebrity even if they aren't the best for either of these itineraries because it is my birthday and I want to be spoiled and I know I can get that on Celebrity. Any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance!

Both are excellent options. We have not, yet, been to Alaska, but in July 2010, we did the Norway Coast, fjords, etc., so we have experienced that type of "close cousin" adventure. Last summer on the wonderful Celebrity Solstice, we super enjoyed the Med sailing out of charming and historic Barcelona. Overall, I have done twenty two different countries in Europe during four different cruises plus many, many land trips there, etc.

Given your current location in NYC, it is a clear choice of cities/history/culture . . . VERSUS . . . nature/country/scenic. Which way do you lean? What do you like better among those two, very different options???

Then there is the challenge/question of weather. In August, the Med can get fairly hot and not be as comfortable compared to being there in the Spring through mid June and/or after early-mid September. July and August are the most likely to be either hot or hot-hot there for many ports stops in Italy, etc. Do you want something cooler in August or does the heat/weather not matter as much?

Tell us more on your other likes, loves, travel style, etc. How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Below are some of my visual samples for a little preview for what you could see and do in the Med with Celebrity. Many options depending whether you sail out of Barcelona, Rome and/or Venice. From the Norway trip, you can get a little taste for the "thrills" with dramatic landscapes, tall mountains, etc.

Reactions and added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 94,602 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 77,240 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peter’s and the Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting on June 10, 2011, during our visit and doing the Scavi tour under the Vatican in Rome. This dramatic Cathedral is the world's largest!:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

Don’t miss the sail-in and/or sail-out for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

We had visited Tuscany’s San Gimignano in 1999 with our son, but it is a town that is always impressive in history and architectural styles. We had lunch here. Below is a long-shot of the hill town with its tower from the wonderful countryside below and nearby.

SanGimiLongShot.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! Ephesus has the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this large, 25,000 seat outdoor theater in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul did a famed sermon condemning pagan worship. He spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Of course, you could split the difference and do a Norwegian Fjords cruise... :D

Excellent potential compromise option to consider. BUT, Norway and that area generally gets a little more costly. How flexible are you on budget?

Below are a few quick visual samples for that great potential with both interesting/historical cities such as Bergen, plus all of the nature stuff, AND, cooler!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 94,602 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 77,240 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

At the Videseter Hotel where we had lunch on the way to Geiranger, we saw a spectacular waterfall and then a cute sheep (up close and personal) at this scenic high mountain elevation location.:

FjordsHotelWaterfall.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

I am an architect. So I've studied most or all of the typical sites people see when the cruise the Med and I've visited them but on a student's budget (youth hostels, train pass, backpack)

I spent a summer working on an archaeological excavation in Crete and then 2 weeks taking Greek ferries around the islands basically sleeping all day on the beach, going back to our youth hostel to shower and partying all night.

So I love Europe and the islands and would love to spend more time there, eat some real food, travel in AC etc. I am concerned about the heat in August and also I recall most of Europe shuts down for the month of August for vacation? So maybe August is not the best time to go.

I'm also concerned that 1 day in Rome is not enough to show my husband everything he needs to see. Or 1 day in any European port city.

So that has me leaning towards Alaska. But can I really go all the way to Alaska and not go to Denali NP? What a shame.

We love photography and nature so I think Alaska would be amazing. I mean, we spend our whole life in a city, why should I vacation in one? I want to breathe clean air and see trees, and birds and fish and maybe bears and moose and mountains and water and..... you know.

I was actually only considering Alaska until I started seeing people's reviews and photos of their Med cruises this year and it made me say "I WANT TO GO BACK THERE!"

I have actually checked itineraries and targeted the Century 08/11/13 RT Vancouver or the Reflection 08/10/13 or 08/19/13. I've never been to Turkey so the overnight in Istanbul on the 08/19 itin. sounds interesting.

But then, if I can go for 13 days to Europe then maybe I could squeeze out a few more days to do a short land tour in Alaska before or after a one way cruise.

GAH! I'm going to drive myself insane with this.

I am facing the same situation. My big b-day is also in Aug of 2013 . However 10 yrs. older - ugh!

My mom and I were thinking of the same Alaska or Med. We chose the Med but going in Sept. We will be taking the 10 day Sept. 20th on the Reflection cruising to Rome, Messina,Athens, Ephesus,Rhodes, Santorini,Mykonos, and Naples.

Spending a day before in Rome. This will be our first time with Celebrity. Cant wait to see the Reflection. Love the thought of being on a new ship!

Good luck with your decision and remember either choice will be a great experience.

We have done both, Alaska once and the Med 3 times, so you know what my vote will be. However, no one has commented on the fact that you want to go in Aug. It will be steamy hot in Europe in places and that is when everyone holidays over there, so I would think the various places you visit will have long line-ups and a lot of people. We last cruised the Med on the Equinox so I second the vote already mentioned for the sailing from Barcelona. Venice is awesome so is Ephesus, actually Europe is awesome.

Alaska is pretty amazing too and even if I am biased, Vancouver is a lovely city, but that will only be a 7 day cruise!!

Happy 39th next month. Enjoy your 40th whatever you do and if you want to trade with me, I'll be happy. I've had a few birthdays since my 40th, quite a few!

I've done both. The Alaska trip was an Inside Passage R/T from Vancouver. The scenery was pretty, especially flying over glaciers in a helicopter. But the towns you stop in are nothing to write home about. Also, the pace is relatively slow on an Alaskan cruise. You'll get lots of rest while floating past beautiful scenery.

However, you love Europe, and if your husband has never been, it's something he needs to see. So in spite of the August heat, I'd do the Med cruise.

I have to vote MED!!! I turned 40 this year and we're doing . . . A MED CRUISE! That was my choice. Hubby turned 40 last year and we did a Panama Canal cruise.

I've been to Alaska and enjoyed it but it doesn't have the "specialness" of the Mediterranean for me. This will be my 3rd Med cruise. Each one is a little different, but the area keeps drawing me back.

I'd like to do Alaska again someday, but it's not a priority.

I know, I could have worse problems than this right?

I think will all of you reminding me just how hot it can get in the Med in August, I remember 34C days in Crete! It was NASTY.

My husband would probably enjoy Europe more in Spring or Fall when we wouldn't be dying of heat exhaustion. And yes, August is not a good time to go. Why couldn't my parents have planned for my 40th birthday cruise better?

So I'm leaning towards Alaska. Plus since it is a more relaxing cruise and cheaper I will have more opportunity for on board pampering for my b-day.

And yes, YVRCruiser, it IS only 7 days but we'll spend a few days in Vancouver before and maybe after.

I'm sure I'll get back to you on ideas for that later. :p If you don't mind.

Our wedding anniversary is in May so I'll tell the husband that for the next big one we're taking 2 weeks to go to Europe. All is not lost Med lovers! I will make it back there.

If you want history and great charm it's the Med all the way.

If, however, you want scenery only Alaska is the trip for you.

It is beautiful but Switzerland beats it by miles in our opinion.

We have been to Alaska once and it was enough, the Med 20 times

and it's never enough. Whatever you choose, happy birthday and enjoy.:)

Edited by orchestrapal

You are leaning in the right direction based on your own parameters; i.e. time of year and length of time available.

My "heart" also votes for the Med but my "head" votes for Alaska because;

Med is brutally hot in August and all touristy places will be mobbed, both impacting your experience and not providing you the "bang for the buck' that you will shelling out big time.

I suggest the Med in the spring or fall.

Also, 7-10 days is very tough for the Med based upon the long travel there and multitude of things to do. Do Alaska, enjoy it more, save your money for a bit until you can go at a better time for a longer stay in the Med.

We did a 14 day "Best of Italy" cruise back in 2008. Stayed precruise in Rome for 4 days then took the cruise. Was just enough time.

Make your own decision and don't second guess yourself. My wife and I are jealous, LOL!!

TLCOhio, great photos as always! Those are the types of images that make me want to go back. And I do want to cruise the Norwegian Fjords someday and also the Baltics. But I feel like my husband needs to see the architectural and archaeological wonders of Europe first. Like do the "basics" before the more exotic.

But I think Emcee207 and the others of you who have reminded me how hot and crowded Europe can be in August have convinced me to go Alaska in August and then do Europe later.

Now, to start the research!

Done both, and loved both, but my vote goes to the MED!!!! Check the Equinox departing from Barcelona, with an overnight in Venice!!! Great ship, fabulous ports of call!!!

My vote is Eastern Med. Greece, Italy and Turkey. Richard

Definitely do the Med.

I have done both (Alaska 5x and Mediterranean 2x).

If you do it- sail in or out of Venice (or both, Silouette does a roundtrip Venice).

If time is limited to 10 days- definitely fly to Barcelona or Venice because the airports are really close to the ship and you won't have to spend an overnight or worry about getting to and from you flights.

With limited time- I would just go directly to the ship- usually the first day is a sea day so you can sleep in an get over the jetlag.

So while I love Alaska- there is something so romantic about Europe. You'll love it.

The ship would decide it for me, I find the solstice class ships are so much better than the M class ships.

The Solstice is doing the Tracy Arm Fjord from Seattle next year. I really didn't think about the weather when I voted for the Med. We just came back from the Adriatic and the heat was brutal, but we still had a great time. After 5 Med cruises and 2 Alaskan, my vote still goes to the Med.:) But if you decide to go to Alaska, sheffield is right, the Solstice ships are much better!!

I have to jump and say that I absolutely love the Millenium Class ships. I like them much better than the Solstice Class ships. I guess I am in the minority but I love the layout and size of the Millenium Class. I love the glass elevators that jut out over the sea. I wanted to Love Equinox when I sailed her on her maiden voyage but I just didn't. I would sail the S class if the M wasn't available but am a huge fan of the M class ships.