Snorkel Tours with Children

cruisingtaylors

Has anyone ever taken a toddler on the snorkel tour? Most do not have a minimum age limit, so we are considering doing one on our cruise in November.

Obviously, mine would not be swimming or snorkeling, and one of us adults would be on the boat with him at all times.

Just looking for some feedback for anyone who might have done this.

Thanks!

I think it would depend on the length of time they'd have to be on the boat.....if it's more than an hour, I would think they'd be hot and bored. Now, if it was snorkeling off the beach, they could splash about while you and spouse took turns snorkeling.

I have a DD who is a waterbaby so the following is not necessarily true of every child. We brought a raft with a window and her own lifevest that she was used to. We towed her between us as we snorkled and everyone was happy. Just an idea.

We did a snorkel trip on Maui (not with a cruise) with our then 5 month old. We picked a catamaran trip specifically for the comfort of the boat. Two years before, before the little one, we had done a trip on a much smaller boat which was much more of a dive boat. No cover to speak of and just enough room for everyone to sit. We knew that it wouldn't be good to take the baby on a small boat like that, but the catamaran trip was nice.

I will preface my response that I have not taken my kids on a snorkeling tour yet with my kids, but I have taken more than 20 catamaran tours on various islands. I would wait until they are older. While I love them I don't find them good for young kids. While the boats vary most or many have little to no inside or covered seating. Many wanted you to be seated unless you were headed to the restroom. So it would be hard if they got restless. Some were quite rocky. They ones that did include a beach stop leave you in 3-4 feet of water with waves coming in which some adults struggled to get themselves off which could be problematic if you want to.take your DC off. Additionally the yougest child I saw on any of the trips was about 7 or 8 and an excellent swimmer. Most are not set up well for younger families. Also not sure if you need this but I don't think I saw a changing table/pull down etc.

Have you considered an alternative? While I love to snorkel I will do so off the beach this time and DH can watch the kids. Our kids are 3 and 5. This trip we are going to try a glassbottom boat. This way the kids can participate and we can all still see fish. Since the girls love the aquarium I think they will enjoybthe glass bottom boat.

Took DD4 and DS7 on Pirate Snorkel excursion in Cabo San Lucas and DD4 stayed on the boat with my daughter and had a great time but got a little seasick on the way back... she didn't get seasick on the cruiseship, though.

DS7 loved his first snorkeling trip but we had been practicing at home with our own snorkel gear... and he snorkeled with a full life vest that I brought for him from home. The waves were too choppy for him just to use a snorkeling vest.

We have a tour scheduled in November when our DD will be just over 2 at the time (28 mo). We plan on packing the life vest that we hope to get her used to here at home. We made it a private tour on a large sailboat, and are going to spend time at the beach as well, to let her run around on solid ground. I'm a bit nervous about it, but hoping we can get her in the water to just swim a bit.

I will preface my response that I have not taken my kids on a snorkeling tour yet with my kids, but I have taken more than 20 catamaran tours on various islands. I would wait until they are older. While I love them I don't find them good for young kids. While the boats vary most or many have little to no inside or covered seating. Many wanted you to be seated unless you were headed to the restroom. So it would be hard if they got restless. Some were quite rocky. They ones that did include a beach stop leave you in 3-4 feet of water with waves coming in which some adults struggled to get themselves off which could be problematic if you want to.take your DC off. Additionally the yougest child I saw on any of the trips was about 7 or 8 and an excellent swimmer. Most are not set up well for younger families. Also not sure if you need this but I don't think I saw a changing table/pull down etc.

Have you considered an alternative? While I love to snorkel I will do so off the beach this time and DH can watch the kids. Our kids are 3 and 5. This trip we are going to try a glassbottom boat. This way the kids can participate and we can all still see fish. Since the girls love the aquarium I think they will enjoybthe glass bottom boat.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I had thought about the glass bottom boat, so maybe we will go that route. We also plan on doing the beach... So maybe we will just stick to that for this cruise. :) Save the snorkel tours for a couple of years.

We took our kids in their first snorkel tour when they were 2 and 5 years old and had a blast. The 2 year old didnt snorkel but happily floated with us in an inner tube and could still see fish. Now years later both kids love the water and snorkeling...I say take your toddler with you! There's no need to just stay on the boat. Definitely take your own life vest from home for safety.

Archived