Need advice about itinerary

sparklingstar

We are going on our 2nd cruise to Alaska this July. Last year it was a last minute cruise, so all we had time for was one night in anchorage and 1 night in vancouver. This time around we have the time to do more.

Here is my itinerary so far. Will you please take a look and let me know what you think? Are we trying to do too much?

Day1: arrive Vancouver

Day2: Vancouver

Day3: cruise leaves Vancouver

Day4: crusing inside passage

Day5: Ketchikan

Day6: Sitka

Day7: Juneau

Day8: Haines

Day9: scenic crusing Hubbard glacier

Day10: Seward

Day11: Seward

Day12: Seward....drive to Homer

Day13: Homer

Day14: Homer....drive to Seward....train to Anchorage

Day15: Anchorage to Denali by train

Day16: Denali

Day17: Denali to Fairbanks by train

Day18: Faribanks

Day19: Fairbanks to Anchorage by train

Day 20: fly home

My opinion only, you have no time in Anchorage for touring. The train is also long and repeative in my opinion on the Anchorage/Denali Park portion. You could see and do much more with a rental car, including more options at Denali Park.

One day in Fairbanks also is not worth the 4 hour train ride back and forth from Denali Park, again, some decent scenery but some a lot of trees etc. Since it looks like the train is a priority, I would make a stop and overnight in Talkeetna.

Are you renting a car in Seward? I know they are very spendy here and maybe taking the train up to Anchorage and then renting from there and going to Homer ect would be much cheaper???That would also save from having to back track to Seward.

My opinion only, you have no time in Anchorage for touring. The train is also long and repeative in my opinion on the Anchorage/Denali Park portion. You could see and do much more with a rental car, including more options at Denali Park.

One day in Fairbanks also is not worth the 4 hour train ride back and forth from Denali Park, again, some decent scenery but some a lot of trees etc. Since it looks like the train is a priority, I would make a stop and overnight in Talkeetna.

Sorry, I should have mentioned we have been to Anchorage twice before and really weren't that impressed. I am sure there are great things to do but we really didn't do anything that exciting. Last time we didn't have a rental car and were taking the city bus which was no fun! Do you have any recommendations for Anchorage?

Renting a car and driving to Denali Park is an option. I have heard alot about the train so I thought that was the way to go, but it sounds like you would recommend driving? Do you know how long the drive is?

I think we have decided to skip Fairbanks on this trip, maybe next time.

A stop in Talkeetna for a night sounds nice. What is there to do there and can you recommend somewhere to stay?

Thanks so much for your advice, it is very much appreciated! :)

Are you renting a car in Seward? I know they are very spendy here and maybe taking the train up to Anchorage and then renting from there and going to Homer ect would be much cheaper???That would also save from having to back track to Seward.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind. I have free rental car coupons for Hertz and am planning to use those. I need to call tomorrow for sure.

Archived