Poor clothing choice?

I am not much into theme clothes and I do not own either Christmas or Thanksgiving sweaters but I do have a special outfit that I sometimes wear when I am cruising. It is a navy blue and white dress that I bought from Coldwater Creek about three years ago. I call it my sailing dress and I absolutely love it! It has an elegent lady dressed up to the nines (no ugly denims or sneakers here) wearing a fabulous sun hat and waving to a cruise ship. If I can't let down my hair and wear a cute outfit on a cruise then it is time for me to stay home.

Have a great cruise!

I think Baxter may have been traumatized by a 'themed dresser' friend. :D I have one of those and after seeing her in a themed outfit every time we socialize, I have OD'd and now dislike themed attire. Seriously, I can't remember seeing her in a non-themed outfit as she has one for every occasion. Don't they have support groups for people like that? Hi, my name is xxxx and I'm a theme dresser. :D :D Happy Sailing!

I think Baxter may have been traumatized by a 'themed dresser' friend. :D I have one of those and after seeing her in a themed outfit every time we socialize, I have OD'd and now dislike themed attire. Seriously, I can't remember seeing her in a non-themed outfit as she has one for every occasion. Don't they have support groups for people like that? Hi, my name is xxxx and I'm a theme dresser. :D :D Happy Sailing!

Believe it or not I work at a school and have no themed clothing. No school clothes, no holiday clothes, nothing. I think it will make for a good picture. I get to let my hair down over vacation. I am an assistant principal and wear a suite to work most days, so this will be my FUN!

A few years ago, I bought this book called, Cruise Control, by Pamela Kane. It's one of the best books I've bought on cruising - great tips on the whole cruise experience.

She devotes one chapter just to clothing - formal nights, semi-formal, casual and days at sea. One question that was asked of her was, "Are there and truly awful fashion mistakes?" Her reply was "to lose the gold and silver lame, let the ship's officers wear the uniforms, and avoid garments featuring anchors, life rings, and jeweled sea creatures."

The book was published in 1999, and fashions change continuously, but I still remembered what she said when I pack.

Hi:) I keep seeing things that just make me reply;)

"Her reply was "to lose the gold and silver lame, let the ship's officers wear the uniforms, and avoid garments featuring anchors, life rings, and jeweled sea creatures."

Sorry, I disagree with the author.

If someone has a beautiful gold dress~ lame, chiffon, silk, whatever the material~if they look and feel good in it, I say Go For It:)

And if a nautical outfit for a casual day is a fashion faux pax, well so be it.

I have the cutest top in tropical colors with a small beaded fish in the center (it is a light knit sleeveless sweater). I love it:) and have worn it on sailaway day.

I'm with you Lois, people should wear what they feel comfortable in and adhere to the suggested dress code for the cruileline. It was fun to share tips on this board before my recent cruise but ultimately I confidently "over"-packed what I knew I'd be comfortable with. On our recent cruise it seemed like 97% of the pax dressed appropriately from my perspective. It was fun looking for our photos in the gallery & seeing alll the fashions aboard otherwise you just get so caught up in your own enjoyment of the experience-it just doesn't matter.

Hi:) wasn't sure if you were agreeing with me or the author!

I always adhere to the dress code. I love getting dressed up on a cruise. I rarely have the opportunity to do so here at home.

Even on those casual evenings, I prefer to "dress for dinner". And truthfully, the more cruises I have gone on, the less clothing I have packed. I bring one suitcase and one carry-on. And still feel pretty every night too.:)

I am AMAZED that you have no themed clothing and work at a school! You go girl!

Anyhow, I'm not a fan of the themed clothing on myself but it looks cute on some people :) I'm sure you'll be beautiful and that outfit looks SUPER comforatable so do what you feel good in. Who gives two craps about what other people think, it's YOU who has to feel good in it ;) Also I can guarantee there will be a ton of people in similar-type clothing, so don't give it another thought and just go for it!

Wouldn't it be a sad world if everyone liked the same clothes. We'd never find anything to buy! There is nothing nicer than a person who feels confident in what she's wearing. And I don't see any "clothing police" wandering around. If you like the outfit and feel good in it, then GO FOR IT. And have a wonderful cruise.

Esther

You ladies are the best. I am wondering what the author of that book thought about too much gold. I have a purse that I love that is gold with beading everywhere, but never used and so I had to find a dress to go with it. What do you think?

7685_red_gold.jpg

WWWOOOOWWWW!!!! I could never get away wearing that, but if you can, do it! It reminds me of something Ivana Trump would wear. For the right person, fantastic. I am more all black. Did you buy it?

Esther

WWWOOOOWWWW!!!! I could never get away wearing that, but if you can, do it! It reminds me of something Ivana Trump would wear. For the right person, fantastic. I am more all black. Did you buy it?

Esther

I am actually getting it in black and gold, not the red, but they did not have the black to show. I do like red, don't get me wrong, but I would look better in black for this style because of the beading. I plan on ordering it at the end of the month. I am so excited!

:) Oh My!!! What a BEAUTIFUL dress!!! I wonder how heavy it is though?

Hope it is not too difficult to pack! But it is fabulous!

The black and gold would be gorgeous and elegant. Much more than red and gold. Packing should be o.k., just tissue paper and layering. But Lois is right; it might be heavy. Oh well, for one night you can stand it!!!

Just don't get those shoes as well. In my opinion those shoes with that dress is terrible! The heel is way too thick (but then, I like thinner heels with dresses like that and in general). You shouldn't have any trouble finding shoes to go with black or if you want Gold since it's so hot this season :)

I'm sure you'll be beautiful :)

I am not too worried about the sleeves. They are actually sheer with beading on them. I am not sure if you can see the detail in the photo that well, but they are sheer. I am sure that I will be cool. Oh and those shoes won't do...LOL. I would go with black that way I will only have to pack one pair of shoes for both my formal night dresses. The other is not so formal, but it has black in it as well. I don't want to pack all the junk I took on the last cruise :eek: .

Creole Girl,

You mentioned that one of the reasons you're buying this dress is because you have a gold purse that you don't have a dress to wear with.

You don't need a dress like this to go with a gold purse!

Metallics have been a very hot accessory item for a few seasons. So if you have a metallic bag you love, wear it with LOTS of things!

On our South American cruise this Feb. I bought a bronzy/gold small evening bag and wound up using it almost every night. I wore it with black, creme, hot pink and navy outfits.

Don't limit metallic accessories to clothes with metallic or only very dressy details.

Enjoy them with lots of things!

Have a winderful cruise.

Jane

Jane is right too :)

But yay for not going with the shoes, LOL. Also, smart to only pack one pair of shoes. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to get away with that for both formal nights and another and I -think- I can but I'm not entrirely sure. It makes life easier! I really want to pack now but alas, I still have a month :( HOWEVER, this time on June 18th I'll be on a plane about to land at the Airport in Florida!

Archived