Feeding the kids in between arrival...

familytrip4us

What do you do about feeding the kids between arriving/ checking in and when your ship actually departs? Family is panicking that they will starve between arrival at port (between 11-12) and dinner time. I am trying to calm the nerves!

We are leaving from Cape Liberty on Explorer of the Seas (RC).

They always serve lunch on the ship the day of departure. The buffet will definitely be open for lunch. Fear not!

Thank you so much. They will be so relieved!!! My mother was more worried than the kids tonight about this. Funny! Nerves I am sure. :)

As you are boarding, you will be directed to the Windjammer (the buffet). There is more food on a cruise ship than you can imagine. It's available 24 hours a day in some form.

We are currently on a cruise. DS16, who has the appetite of a typical teenage boy (huge), is so full that he has asked me not to feed him for a month when we get home.

In addition to the Windjammer, Explorer also has the Cafe Promenade which serves small sandwiches, pizza, pastries and awsome cookies in addition to coffee, tea and ice water. This is all included and they are open 23 hours a day. You would need to pay extra for the Ben &. Jerry's ice cream and specialty coffees. Trust me, they will not starve.

Just make sure that you eat as soon as you get on. They put all the food away right before the safety drill. On our last cruise we were in line for a couple hours, worst wait ever. By the time we got on and met up with the rest of our party and went to get something to eat they already put everything away. I was 5 months pregnant and starving, i hadn't ate the whole day. I felt faint. I asked the lady if i could just have a banana, a yogurt, anything and she said no. That bothered me. ANyways, short story, eat when you get on and dont wait for anybody :D

And bring a few snacks. You never know when boarding might be delayed and that 11am becomes 1:30 with a madhouse at the buffet.

Any sealed snacks should be able to come back off with you, which could be a lifesaver if disembarkation is delayed (in which case you typically won't have any food beyond a certain point.)

Just make sure that you eat as soon as you get on. They put all the food away right before the safety drill. On our last cruise we were in line for a couple hours, worst wait ever. By the time we got on and met up with the rest of our party and went to get something to eat they already put everything away. I was 5 months pregnant and starving, i hadn't ate the whole day. I felt faint. I asked the lady if i could just have a banana, a yogurt, anything and she said no. That bothered me. ANyways, short story, eat when you get on and dont wait for anybody :D

That could not have been on Explorer which is the ship OP is sailing. As noted, the Cafe Promenade is open 23 hours a day (I think they close for an hour around 4 a.m. for cleaning), so food is ALWAYS available.

Prinycesa was on Carnival and she was right - they have the worst lines ever! The traffic flow just isn't good on those ships.

Luckily the OP is on Explorer and won't have an issue zipping through the Windjammer. They have multiple stations and multiple lines so there really isn't ever a wait - even when everyone is trying to get their first meal.

The hardest thing will be finding a seat because no one will be allowed in their cabin until 1pm so everyone will stay planted at the tables.

So get to the port early - be one of the first onboard - head straight to the WJ and find a table and have someone in your party take a seat while you get your children their food :D

Archived