need advice, best place to hide an engagement ring while boarding?

smith177

Hi there!

Im new here and had one very important question....where should I stash my GF's engagement ring while going thru security while boarding? Ive thought about leaving it in my checked bag but Im worried about leaving it within eye sight of me (can I lock my bag and be ok?), maybe my carry-on bag, but im worried security will ask questions when it is x-rayed. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks! I cant wait for this cruise btw! :)

I would keep it in my carry on are you taking a laptopbag or back pack i would berry it in the bottom of it or in a side pocket i dont think they would ask what it is as it should xray and show exactly what it is have a great trip

your carry on or laptop bag....or your pocket in a jacket

the only time they will go through your carry on is if they think you have something of concern in it...like too much liquor, or drugs, weapons etc....just make sure they dont have a reason to go through it and you will be fine

Edited by woodey

Hi there!

leaving it in my checked bag

:eek: I would *not* put something like this in a checked bag; that's a great way to lose it. What if your luggage gets lost? It does happen sometimes. I like the idea of keeping it in a camera bag - that way it's either on you or in the safe, until it's on her hand. :)

Wow we agree for a second time.icon7.gif

Now to get you to loossen up on smuggling

Sorry but you've got a better chance of getting lucky with the Tooth fairy than having me change my opinion on smuggling. Give you an A for effort though! ;)

I too, agree with most of the above advice. DO NOT put it in your checked luggage. (You could probably just kiss it goodbye if you do that.):eek: I wouldn't suggest keeping it in your pocket, if you're trying to get it aboard without her seeing it. (Security might ask you to empty your pockets, and she's going to say, "what's that"?) I think the best place is in your laptop bag, camera bag, or just buried in your carry-on. Should be no problem in any of those, and you'll have it with you at all times.

Congratulations, and have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"

DO NOT, I repeat do not put the ring in your checked bag. Real story: someone I work with went to Dominican Republic with her boyfriend unbeknownst to her he was planning to propose he bought the ring packed it in the suitcase and when they got to their hotel gues what NO RING. He was devastated, he had the ring box, but it was empty. Luckily he had the ring insured so he was able to replace it however he had to purchase an inexpensive ring to propose with until he could get the replacement ring. I do not think you want to go through that so do yourself a favor and keep the ring with you. Unfortunately people do steal.

Wow we agree for a second time.icon7.gif

Now to get you to loossen up on smuggling

With my luck, that WOULD be the first time I trip the scanner... I worry about that when i go through wearing my kilts with all the snaps on it...

My DH proposed to me on our cruise 2.5 years ago. He hid the ring on his jacket pocket which he then put in his back pack. I knew he had the ring. When we went through US screening and security at the airport they saw it on the X-ray and made him fish his jacket out. I had a feeling what it was so I walked away and tied up my shoes 5 times!!!! I felt so bad for him!! He was sure sweating!! Apperently he told security what it was and said please don't take it out!!! She is right there. He did not want to propose in the airport security line!!!

He made it through and they didn't take it out but I think his heart stopped beating for a minute!!

Careful if you put it in with your laptop. I have been made to pull the laptop out of the bag. Don't want it to slip out when you pull the laptop out . Place it with a camera or other carry on bag. Just a suggestion

May I make a suggestion.

Bring your invoice with you because when you come back, you don't want customs thinking that you bought the ring out of the country (and you'll have to pay tax).

that's not true, I bet $100.00 that if you are wearing it they wont even ask about it

My DH proposed to me on our cruise 2.5 years ago. He hid the ring on his jacket pocket which he then put in his back pack. I knew he had the ring. When we went through US screening and security at the airport they saw it on the X-ray and made him fish his jacket out. I had a feeling what it was so I walked away and tied up my shoes 5 times!!!! I felt so bad for him!! He was sure sweating!! Apperently he told security what it was and said please don't take it out!!! She is right there. He did not want to propose in the airport security line!!!

He made it through and they didn't take it out but I think his heart stopped beating for a minute!!

What a great story that would have been!:)

I see lots of advice for you here, but here is my story... My wife is like Batman when it comes to surprises.. We got engaged on the legend Seven years ago. I used a condom wrapper and placed it with other condoms in the side pocket of my bathroom bag in my CARRY on luggage. I was actually more concerned with my wife finding it then security. I pulled it off handsomely. No one was the wiser until I pulled the trigger. Seven years later we just took our two children on the legend over the 4th of July. Hope you have a great time, good luck to you!