What do you think of our itinerary? (Aug 11th-18th Golden Princess)

Finch85

Aug 8th-11th: Staying in Seattle. Plan to see Pikes Place Market, Space Needle, King Tut exhibit, etc.

Aug 13th – Juneau, Alaska (10 hours)

Arrive: 12:00 PM

Depart: 10:00 PM

• Noon: Red Dog saloon to kill a little time until Harv & Marv. Walkaround port.
  • 1:20 PM: Harv & Marv whale watching tour. Should last until 6:00 PM. This includes a 15 min stop at Mendenhall glacier.
  • 6:00-7:00: Tracy's Crab shack for dinner. They close at 8:00PM.

Juneau concerns: Time---need more of it! I wonder if a 15 minute stop at Mendenhall Glacier will suffice. Harv and Marv stated they could drop us off at the Glacier with us finding our own way back. I think the shuttle won't be running at this time. Taxi back to ship.

Wouldn't mind doing the Mt Roberts tramway either depending on visibility but I hear it's overpriced and not worth it if weather is not cooperating.

Aug 14th – Skagway, Alaska (14.25 hours)

Arrive: 6:00 AM

Depart: 8:15 PM

***Just so happens to be my wife's B-day. :)

• 7:00-12:00 - salmon fishing w/ McCormick charters.
  • 12-1:00- Check in/receive our Jeep rental from Alaska Green Jeep Tours.
  • 1:00-5/6:00- Drive to Carcross.
  • Remaining time: Walk around port.

Aug 16th - Ketchikan, Alaska (6.5 hours)

Depart: 12:30 PM

• 8:45AM: Alaska Seaplane Tour w/ bear viewing. Should last approx 2 hours.
  • Remaining time spent walking around port.

Aug 17th – Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (5 hours)

Arrive: 7:00 PM

Depart: 11:59PM

Nothing planned. Walk around the city I suppose.

Questions:

• If the ship is slated to leave a certain port at, lets say, 10 PM...what time should we be back on the ship?
  • Does our itinerary look achievable?

and Marv stated they could drop us off at the Glacier with us finding our

Aug 16th - Ketchikan, Alaska (6.5 hours)

Depart: 12:30 PM

• 8:45AM: Alaska Seaplane Tour w/ bear viewing. Should last approx 2 hours.
  • Remaining time spent walking around port.

Questions:
    • If the ship is slated to leave a certain port at, lets say, 10 PM...what time should we be back
    • Does our itinerary look achievable?on the ship?

15 minutes is a very short time for Mendenhall, I would suggest you have cab numbers with you anyway, in case you decide to stay longer. Especially, if you have a nice day, you may want to take advantage and walk the Nugget Falls trail, which needs an hour.

Be CERTAIN, your bear tour has a specific destination. Never book one that doesn't.

You need to be back on board, 30 minutes BEFORE the scheduled port departure.

You need to be back on board, 30 minutes BEFORE the scheduled port departure.

Yes, and there will also be a sign at the departure gangway that tells you what time to be aboard

ok, not sure if your wife will read this or not, but the Champagne Balcony Breakfast is totally worth the $32 charge..it might be a special birthday treat :) They give you a set menu but when you order it you can customize the menu to your wants. Did you tell princess that you are celebrating a birthday? They will send balloons if you did.

You will love Harv and Marv. Definitly have cab numbers handy if you choose to stay.

I just printed off a list of Juneau Taxi services...thanks to you both for the tip.

I did check the box on my cruise personalizer about it being my wife's birthday. Not sure about buying the breakfast though. The jeep adventure is my surprise for DW. We'll grab a bottle of wine and explore the Yukon. :)

I just printed off a list of Juneau Taxi services...thanks to you both for the tip.

I did check the box on my cruise personalizer about it being my wife's birthday. Not sure about buying the breakfast though. The jeep adventure is my surprise for DW. We'll grab a bottle of wine and explore the Yukon. :)

Be sure to take your passports if you're going into Canada...........and, if you have a Golden Passport, that gets you into the Visitors' Center at Mendenhall.

Fifteen minutes would get you a peek and that's IT :eek:..........well, maybe you can return next year.

I also suggest spending more time at Mendenhall. We really enjoyed our time there, hiking several trails. The visitor center is very well done and if you have the time, I suggest you try to fit it in.

Two hours for a bear tour does not seem long enough. I would do a bit more research on this excursion.

What a wonderful birthday present for your wife. Enjoy your time in Alaska!!

• 7:00-12:00 - salmon fishing w/ McCormick charters.
  • 12-1:00- Check in/receive our Jeep rental from Alaska Green Jeep Tours.
  • 1:00-5/6:00- Drive to Carcross.
  • Remaining time: Walk around port.

We just rented a car and drove to the Yukon last Tuesday. If I recall correctly, when we picked up the car, the guy said that the trip takes about 4.5 - 5 hours at a leisurely pace. For us, between picking up the car, grabbing snacks at the market, driving up and back, filling up gas, etc. it probably took us more like 7 hours. We did spend quite a bit of time walking around Carcross, ate lunch there, spent time watching bears and mountain goats... but we didn't go to Caribou Crossing. I see you are allowing only 4-5 hours for the drive. Not saying that it can't be done, just suggesting that you take a close look at how much you want to see and whether you will be rushing yourself with your time schedule.

Have a great trip!

Two hours for a bear tour does not seem long enough. I would do a bit more research on this excursion.

quote]

I guess its not your typical bear viewing. Its a 2 hour flight and the pilot lands in areas (sometimes multiple times) trying to find bear feeding along the water. The cost is $289 pp. I would have loved to book the Island Wings bear viewing for 5 hours at the observatory but couldn't justify the almost $500 price tag. It will be a good time. Just hope the weather cooperates so we can atleast get in the air.

I've been getting my bear fix here in Virginia anyhow. :) Two times in a row while mountain biking, we have came across bears. I was about 20 yards from this guy. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

I'll definitely try to squeeze in more time at Mendenhall. Sherry, thanks for your input about the drive to Yukon. I do feel like we will be rushed but we have so much to see.

2012-06-24_18-55-01_703.jpg.01f36603768866cd4091c67435ad9393.jpg

quote]

I guess its not your typical bear viewing. Its a 2 hour flight and the pilot lands in areas (sometimes multiple times) trying to find bear feeding along the water. The cost is $289 pp. I would have loved to book the Island Wings bear viewing for 5 hours at the observatory but couldn't justify the almost $500 price tag. It will be a good time. Just hope the weather cooperates so we can atleast get in the air.

I've been getting my bear fix here in Virginia anyhow. :) Two times in a row while mountain biking, we have came across bears. I was about 20 yards from this guy. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

I'll definitely try to squeeze in more time at Mendenhall. Sherry, thanks for your input about the drive to Yukon. I do feel like we will be rushed but we have so much to see.

If possible, I suggest you get more than one driver approved for the car rental so you can take turns. The Klondike Highway is curvy and you do have to play close attention to the driving. The driver tends not to be able to take in the views like the passengers. Just a thought!

If possible, I suggest you get more than one driver approved for the car rental so you can take turns. The Klondike Highway is curvy and you do have to play close attention to the driving. The driver tends not to be able to take in the views like the passengers. Just a thought!

Klondike Highway, isn't curvy in my opinion. Curvy is Road to Hana in Maui. :) There are a few curves, but it is mostly stright EASY driving. I have no problem getting views. Everything just lays out in front of you. It's only a 2 lane road, with many pull offs. Have you driven this?

Klondike Highway, isn't curvy in my opinion. Curvy is Road to Hana in Maui. :) There are a few curves, but it is mostly stright EASY driving. I have no problem getting views. Everything just lays out in front of you. It's only a 2 lane road, with many pull offs. Have you driven this?

We were on Chilkoots 13 passenger bus on the Klondike Highway.

We have driven in MANY scenic areas all over the USA and Canada. My husband and I agree wholeheartedly that being the passenger is always far more rewarding than being the driver when we are in a scenic area. We always try to switch driving in scenic areas. Maybe there are no death defying sharp hair pin turns on the Klondike Highway, but we found it to be curvy by our standards.

Obviously we have a difference of opinion on this matter and that is perfectly fine. It doesn't make my opinion any less worthy than yours.

In Juneau - I'd have Pete drop you off at the glacier and then I'd catch the $7 per person bus back to the ship. There is no need for a taxi. The bus service is very available. I personally would skip dinner and do it on the ship to allow more time at the glacier and then some walk around time in Juneau. As for the tramway, it is costly for what you get.

Skagway - very good - The drive can be done in four to five hours depending on how many stops you make. Make sure to get Murray's trip guide.

Ketchikan - The sea plane tour is expensive but can be beautiful or completely uneventful depending on the weather. It is a crap shoot.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada - I'd just want to town just to say I did it.

As for when to be back, each day they will have a post when you leave the ship. Make sure to be on time though - I've seen way too many people standing on the dock watching the ship go by.

I would add two items:

In Seattle, since you'll be in the Seattle Center anyway for the Space Needle, check out the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. It just opened 2 months ago and is right next door to the needle. It is an amazing exhibit of glass art.

In Victoria, we skipped the excursions and grabbed a cab at port and took it to Butchart Gardens. The gardens are amazing. If you get off the boat fairly quick, your cab driver will beat all the buses to the gardens and you will beat the crowds there. Especially if there are multiple ships docking around the same time as yours, which is not uncommon.

We were leaving the Gardens as the buses were pulling up. Your cab driver will wait at the Gardens for you. We were in the Gardens for about an hour. There were four of us and our total cost for the cab was about $180. He took us from the port to the Gardens, waited for us, then drove us into downtown and dropped us at a great restaurant. We got to the restaurant at 9, were out by 10:15. Walked around downtown for about 30 minutes and caught a cab back to the ship. From downtown to the port by cab is $9.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with taking a ship sponsored excursion to the Gardens, but this is one of those times when it is truly easier, faster and less expensive to do it on your own.

I would add two items:

In Seattle, since you'll be in the Seattle Center anyway for the Space Needle, check out the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. It just opened 2 months ago and is right next door to the needle. It is an amazing exhibit of glass art.

Thanks for the recommendation. Checked out their website and my wife is sold (me too). Thanks!

Archived