advice on underwater cameras

Does anyone have advice for a decent underwater camera for snorkeling? I take photos with my phone, if that gives you any idea about how un-tech I am. I need a point and shoot, nothing fancy. I have used disposables in the past for snorkeling and they are ok, but I want better quality pictures.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I picked up Panasonic DMC-TS3 on an open box special at http://www.adorama.com for our trip to Mexico this year. Here's some shots I got from it...

P1040632.jpg

P1040648.jpg

P1040764.jpg

P1040419.jpg

P1040239.jpg

P1040263.jpg

I did have some issues with the lens fogging up later in the week, but I think that was more because I brought the camera from our air conditioned room straight to the pool and didn't let it acclimate to the outside temperature.

We have really enjoyed our Olympus underwater cameras (we have two of them). They take great underwater pictures without having to buy the underwater case. Check out our signature below to see the video option in Bora Bora (swimming with the sharks) above the water and underneath the water as well.

We think the type of memory card you use also helps.

Good luck with your decision and have a great vacation.

Pentax makes a line of quality point and shoot digitals that are waterproof. I have the Optio W60 which I coincidentally bought a few years back while onboard an RCCL cruise. It is submersible to something like 13 feet (4 meters). Newer versions (WG-1 & WG-2) can go deeper. It is easy to use and takes good quality photos above and below the surface and inside and out with many good features. My kids use it at the beach and in the pool with no problems.

Does anyone have advice for a decent underwater camera for snorkeling? I take photos with my phone, if that gives you any idea about how un-tech I am. I need a point and shoot, nothing fancy. I have used disposables in the past for snorkeling and they are ok, but I want better quality pictures.

There are a ton out there that are just fine. A few hints, take a ton of photos, that way you get some that turn out. Get one that has video, I was just looking at one at Target last night, it took me a few minutes to realize it didn't take video. Don't use flash, just use the underwater setting. Flash will 'catch' on every single speck in the water and the photos will be no good. I have a fuji fine pix, it is a good camera, cost me $119 two years ago, new models are coming out all the time, so even if I knew which model mine was (its green if that helps :D) I am sure there is a new better one out there. My Husband is a Professional Photogropaher, the Fuji he bought me was just a cheaper model for me to use underwater. It is good for me. Check out the batteries, does it plug in to charge, use AAA's or can you get an extra battery, whichever you want. If you want it mostly for snorkeling/underwater you don't need to worry about it having a huge zoom. You won't' be zooming much underwater. Some cameras have both optical zoom and digital zoom. Optical zoom is the lense zooming. Digial zoom is what it says digital zoom. I find that when my P&S cameras zoom out to the digital zoom range, the quality goes way down.

My last best tip for buying a camera, go to the store and hold it. How it fits in your hand makes a huge difference for your enjoyment. What I can hold comfortably, might not fit your hand. Think about how easy it is to work with one hand, snorkeling, you won't have two hands free. But then buying it at the store might not be the best option. Make sure the store will let you return it if it doesn't work as it should. Some stores charge a restocking fee for any returns.

Have fun and take lots of photos! They are the best free souvineers!

Don't buy a camera for just underwater, it's not really worth the money.

But if you need a new all purpose camera, get one that will work underwater.

Sure it's great to take pictures of fish but after a couple they all look the same..

I have a Panasonic Lumix TS3, which I use for the watermarks here and I took it with me this year to Discovery Cove in Orlando and used it for the Sea Venture. It will go down 40 feet as well and takes great pictures outside of water as well.

I tried lots of different ones prior to getting this one. Now I got my niece a Kodak Sport and she loved it for the same trip and that one is about 1/3 the cost too :)

I think it just depends on your budget and what you want to use it for. I really would go with something that you can use more than just this trip and also use it for other activities on your trip.

Archived