freedom or set meal times

c gazzzer

Hi, I have booked our cruise on Ventura and when booking they asked if I wish to sit "early or late sitting". we picked late as we thought it would give more time to get back on board and be able to take our time to get dressed, well then I heared about freedom so could do with some advice to what it means and is it in another area of the ship, does it cost and does it cost to have set meal times as well.

Also is there a thread which tells you what trips cost when we get to the carribean, we are trying to work out what we should put a side to cover the cost of all the "Extras" tips and trips and do they sell pics and video of the cruise and what they cost etc. Many thanks Gary...

Freedom dining is just what it says, you go to the restaurant (which will be a different one to the set meals but just as good) and you ask for you choice of table if there is room you go straight in, if not you get a buzzer to tell you when a table is available.

The best thing about freedom dining is you can go whatever time you like and are not set to a certain time, we found it great, the service and food is exactly the same as the set meals. The price of freedom and set meals is included in your holiday.

Freedom dining means you get to eat the same choice of food as those on the early and late sittings in a seperate, yet identical restaurant with the same service, but at a time to suit you. Starts at 6pm through to 9.30 and you turn up when you want between those times. If they cannot accomodate you immediately they will give you a buzzer and buzz you when a table comes free. If you are prepared to share a table you are usually always seated immediately though you will be with different people each evening. Tables for two are the most popular but we have never waited more than20 mins. It doesnt cost extra and the rest of the meals on board (lunch, breakfast, speciality restaurants) are the same as they would be for all other passengers.

It depends what you prefer. In the Med we prefer freedom so we can tailor our meal times around trips etc but in the Caribbean we preferred late sitting so we could have a relaxing pre dinner drink and eat at 8.30. Whilst this means you obviously have later evenings its more relaxed in the Caribbean so less early starts.

Hi, I have booked our cruise on Ventura and when booking they asked if I wish to sit "early or late sitting". we picked late as we thought it would give more time to get back on board and be able to take our time to get dressed, well then I heared about freedom so could do with some advice to what it means and is it in another area of the ship, does it cost and does it cost to have set meal times as well.

Also is there a thread which tells you what trips cost when we get to the carribean, we are trying to work out what we should put a side to cover the cost of all the "Extras" tips and trips and do they sell pics and video of the cruise and what they cost etc. Many thanks Gary...

Ventura has 3 main dining rooms and two of them have 2 fixed sittings per evening. If you have fixed dining you sit at the same table each night. The other has freedom dining and you can eat at any time between opening and closing, just turn up and ask for a table but you may have to wait for a table. You should have been asked when you booked if you wanted freedom dining but it is very popular and may well have been oversubcsribed. The main dining rooms are free.

Waterside is the buffet restaurant serving hot and cold food. Open more or less 24 hours with evening themed bufets, cooked breakfasts etc. Just turn up when you want. It is also free.

For breakfasts and lunch the Beach House buffet has the same menu as Waterside. In the evenings it converts into an american style diner with waiter service. It is free during the day and mostly free in the evening apart from a few fancy dishes like steak on hot lava rock etc!

Then you have the two cover charge restaurants. The White Room and East, which you have to book in advance. Great for a special occasion. Here you will pay a supplement to cover the meal.

Ramblas is the Spanish themed bar with genuine Spanish guitarist in the evening. It has a small restaurant section serving Spanish dishes and tapas. Tapas can also be eaten at the bar with your drink. The food is charged to your cruise card just like drinks, £2.50 for a choice of 3 tapas dishes for example, Yum Yum my favourite :D

Frankies grill is open during the day for free burgers, pizza etc etc.

You will have no problem eating yourself to bursting if you want, all for no charge :eek::D

Basic tips will be charged to your cruise card on a daily basis. I think it is currently £3.10 per day per person. This covers tips for your cabin steward and dining waiters. I believe the staff in the bars get a built in tip based on that bars turnover for the week so the busy bars are popular with the waiters. You can get the auto tips removed if you wish but that is opening another can of worms and there have been lots of threads on that subject.

check out the destinations section of the forum for advice on the islands and what trips to take etc. Or just ask about each island on your itinery and you will get lots of advice.

So if I've stated that I wanted late sitting, can I still go to freedom eating if I wish and if I do, can I go back to late sitting at a late time on my holiday. Thanks for your replys, Gary.

To change to freedom now you need to change your booking and once you select a system you can't chop and change once you board. Maitre d' will try and accommodate changes, but it isn't guaranteed.

If you want a late sitting simply go to the freedom dining room later on. Last entry is about 9pm.

To change to freedom now you need to change your booking and once you select a system you can't chop and change once you board. Maitre d' will try and accommodate changes, but it isn't guaranteed.

If you want a late sitting simply go to the freedom dining room later on. Last entry is about 9pm.

Do they check when you enter the dining room if you are on freedom dining? If they don't you could just turn up anyway even if you were on fixed sittings :confused:

I'm booked on the late sitting but if I don't want to go can I go to freedom instead. If there is a show I want to see could I go to freedom sitting at an earlier time so I could go to it. Many thanks

If you have opted for fixed dining, you cannot change once onboard and will stick with fixed throughout the cruise. When passengers enter Freedom dining they are asked for their cabin number so they would spot you were not on freedom dining. You need to decide now what you would prefer now and stick with it.

On Ventura last year we had the late sitting on club dining, we really liked it but felt we missed some of the entertainment going on. We then met friends who were on freedom and ate earlier so it was hard to meet up for a full evening.

We still enjoyed club dining, but I felt a little rude if we wanted to eat at a different venue as I am a vegetarian and ordered my meal the day before.

I also pigged out more with it being later on!! oops

What I liked about it is same table, waiter, we had the wine package so had our wine ready, talked to the same people each evening etc. I also felt the club dining was a better option on the formal nights.

We are booked on freedom dining this time as the children will be 5 and 3 and my mum is coming with us. So I can't really compare but wanted to try this option out.

Archived