2012 July 6-20 Alaska Land and Cruise Adventure Review with LOTS of photos!

WalleyeLJ

What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?

• Brown/Grizzly Bears
    • Wolves
    • Lynx
    • Puffins
    • Bald Eagles
    • Humpback Whales
    • Mountain Goats
    • Dall Sheep
    • Orca/Killer Whales
    • Harbor Seals
    • Sea Otters
    • Moose
    • Sea Lions
    • Other

The first time we visited Disenchantment Bay & Hubbard Glacier, we sailed into the left side of the bay, and approached the midpoint of the face of the glacier. This time, most of the icebergs/flow had stacked up in the left side of the bay, so the Captain took us in on the far right side of the bay, between Haenke Island and the mainland, and faced up on the far right edge of Hubbard.

Loose Ice Pack, left side of Disenchantment Bay

untitled-9258.jpg

Sea Gulls catching a free ride - they even scavenge transportation!

untitled-9282.jpg

Snow and debris slide on the left/north side of the bay - a lot more snow than the south side slopes

untitled-9291.jpg

Sliding right to Haenke Island (in the distance)

untitled-1494.jpg

Haenke Island left, Iceberg (6 miles wide, 400-600 feet tall, 450 years old) dead ahead!

untitled-9313.jpg

The Radiance of the Seas History Recovery Team heading out to gather some centuries old ice for display on board that evening...

untitled-9329.jpg

We keep getting closer!!!

L.J.

The really nice thing about the weather today was not just that it ended up being mostly sunny the whole tile we were at Hubbard, but that it was so warm that I was down to my shirt sleeves! It was probably the second warmest day of the trip, surpassed only by the perfect day at Wolverine Creek. Now on the important part - the scenery!

I know, the crew boat looked pretty big in the last photo didn't it...

untitled-1510.jpg

Mirror Mirror Icy Wall...

untitled-9336.jpg

Breaking through the ice pack (not really - it was much thinner than the other side of the island)

untitled-1514-Edit-2.jpg

First "white Thunder" calving of the day!

untitled-9357.jpg

Closer shot of the Blue Fan

untitled-9368.jpg

Winding its way down the mountain - hanging glacier and avalanche field

untitled-9387.jpg

Next up - a BIG calve!

L.J.

Here's a sequence from a 15-20 story calving...

untitled-9405.jpg

untitled-9409.jpg

untitled-9416.jpg

untitled-9420.jpg

Right edge of Disenchantment Bay, Hubbard's right flank, and the Fairweather Mountains in the distance...

untitled-9484.jpg

Hubbard Pano Stitch #1

HubbardPano1.jpg

L.J.

Last one! If you look closely at the first three, you can see a huge column start to break off on the right side of the calve, which results in the HUGE splash at the end...

untitled-9703.jpg

untitled-9707.jpg

untitled-9714.jpg

and DOWN GOES FRAZIER!!! (and the crowd goes wild!!!)

untitled-9729.jpg

The photos don't do it justice - we're talking about a 10+ story splash!!!

L.J.

I know people are curious where the best spot(s) are on the ship to see Hubbard. Here are my observations. My earlier photos started on Deck 12. This is the running track level, one up from the main pool deck. Naturally the ship heads in bow first, so most everyone who doesn't have and stay on a balcony will push forward. This results in folks stacking 3-5 deep along the front viewing areas sometimes. On Radiance, the front of Deck 12 is right in front of the cardio equipment in the ShipShape Center. A great spot, but it can get tight.

At this point there at the front of Deck 12 there are two sets of saloon style swinging doors that mark the beginning of two sets of stairs leading down to a semi-private, closed off forward balcony on Deck 11. The sign on the doors say it's restricted to passengers with a Gold card or something to that effect. I'm not sure about the rule, but no one was enforcing it during the glacier viewing time. I'm assuming that the restriction has to do with the fact that this small(ish) forward balcony is directly in front of some of the spa treatment rooms. That said, there's probably room for 25+ people easy down there, all with front row spots on the railing. It ended up being a lot better place to both take photos AND to just enjoy the views than up on Deck 12.

The other great option, which is most coveted, is the forward bow area, which is accessed on Deck 5. It showed the view from above earlier. Here's a shot from the elevated bow area from the port/left front approach on Deck 5.

untitled-1598.jpg

A lot of folks say they don't know how to find the area. It's not obvious, but it's actually easy to get to once you know how. Deck 5 is often the main boarding deck at initial embarkation. It's the one open deck between the waterline and Decks 11, 12 and 13. Most folks step out onto the deck and walk forward or backwards to the next main entrance, sticking to the sides of the ship. The reality is that you can walk ALL the way around Deck 5. When you first try to do that, it looks like you might be going into a crew only/restricted area, but it's usually open to passengers, and if you find it closed, it'll likely only be temporarily. So, if you want to get to the bow at any time during the cruise, just walk out on the Deck and keep walking forward - it's totally worth it, especially along the Inside Passage part on calm wind days as you'll likely find the place to yourself. A least one morning each trip on any Radiance class ship I try and enjoy a coffee out there.

Here are a few more shots as we slowly made our way out of Disenchantment Bay and towards Juneau...

untitled-9821.jpg

untitled-9822.jpg

untitled-9827.jpg

untitled-9835.jpg

untitled-9848.jpg

L.J.

Last Hubbard related post - a few of the many different icebergs, remnants of calved ice from face of Hubbard, that we passed on the way out.

untitled-9883.jpg

untitled-9899.jpg

untitled-9902.jpg

untitled-9911.jpg

FYI - most of these were bus sized or so, since there isn't a good reference to judge size...

Next up - some interior shots of Radiance and our dinner at Giovanni's Table!

L.J.

Another couple that hasn't been there yet. :)

You had me wondering if that bear was going to come out of the brush when you & your dad were fishing LJ, glad you didn't get up close & personal with it!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Sue!

L.J.

Hey L.J., had a great time in Vegas - took 33rd in our 9-ball tourney, but out of the money in 8-ball. We did, however, get lucky on our last day of gambling, so we came home on a high note! Believe it or not, I know a few people who also have never been to Vegas, so you're not alone!

Loving the pics - they're all so crisp and make you feel like you're there in person!

We were contemplating doing My Time Dining, too, considering how late we'd be coming back from excursions, but it doesn't sound like your experience was that spectacular. I'm hoping since this is our first cruise (well, my 2nd, but the 1st was over 20 years ago so doesn't count anymore...lol), it won't matter too much since we won't have traditional dining to compare it to....

Hey Kathy - congrats! 33rd at a tourney in Vegas is a great accomplishment! You'll HAVE to play on the self leveling pool tables (coming up towards the end of the review;))!

I like olemiss' suggestion about requesting the same waitstaff team. I think it would have made for a better experience. I think the other thing is that with MTD, you have to pay gratuities ahead of time. I think the traditional dining teams probably feel that they have a chance to earned bigger than standard tips when they get to serve you all week and develop that rapport. If we do MTD again, we'll definitely try the idea of requesting the same servers!

L.J.

I'm so loving these pictures and can't wait to get there next year!

On a side note - we did My Time Dining on our Adventure cruise 2 years go and we requested the same waiters every night and the Maitre D' complied every night but one - and even then "our" waiters waited on our table! We'll be on Celebrity next year with Anytime Dining so I hope we'll be able to request the same waiters like we did on AOS. MTD really is great especially if you have kids that just can't sit through a 2 hour dinner - although mine are getting better at it! And since we were able to request the same waiters, they got to know us and our habits just like early or late seating dinner.

Oh yeah - I've never been to Vegas either. DH has been for business, but didn't take me with him! :)

Great idea olemissreb!!!

I think the next time we go to Alaska, we're going to start our pre-cruise/land tour with a a few days in Las Vegas to kick it all off. Who's with me?!?!?!:D

L.J.

Best review ever!!! We're only 12 days from our Alaskan Cruise, and reading your experience so far is keeping me going until then! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for us!!

I'm hoping you finish before I leave! Keep up the good work! ;)

Thanks Krista! I totally used other folk's reviews to cover my jones until we left:D. You're going at a great time of year - we totally want to go late Auguast/beginning of May to see the fall colors - have a great time! Let us know how it goes!

L.J.

Wow! I am thoroughly enjoying your review with all the pictures. I log on every evening looking for any updates. Is the dark spot on the bottom left of the last picture some type of animal?

Mcpe29,

Unfortunatley it wasn't. Some folks said they saw a seal or two, but for the most part they were likely on the much more dense flows on the left side of the bay. I had a monster zoom lens and didn't find anything but birds this trip in. The dark spots in the ice in the photos was glacier fill scraped up and embedded in the glacier ice over time.

Hopefully I'll find some next time!

L.J.

Sea Gulls catching a free ride - they even scavenge transportation!

untitled-9282.jpg

Silly lazy Alaskan birds. They were doing the same thing in Tracy Arm.

DSCN0465.jpg

I look forward to seeing your updates as much as I do watching my beloved Rangers each night. And, believe me, that is a huge compliment coming from me! :D

:rolleyes:

Silly lazy Alaskan birds. They were doing the same thing in Tracy Arm.

DSCN0465.jpg

I look forward to seeing your updates as much as I do watching my beloved Rangers each night. And, believe me, that is a huge compliment coming from me! :D

DDD - you are awesome! I'm pulling for your Rangers (again) since my beloved Red Sox are on fire in a death spiral:rolleyes:. Everywhere we wnet I saw those danged birds freeloading - icebergs, boats, trees and logs...:D

L.J.

Only just found this after thinking about a possible cruise to Alaska next year. Amazing photos and review. I felt like I was there with you. I can't wait for the next instalment now :-)

Welcome aboard Rutheth - next chapter coming right up!

L.J.

Well rested and having had glorious weather for our viewing time, we prepped for dinner as my parents were all about eating as early as possible. We love Italian food, and have enjoyed Portofino's in the past on other RCI ships, so we were looking forward to seeing how the experience at Giovanni's Table would be.

I have a tradition of getting Bev a 3 rose vase at the beginning of each cruise and having them at the table or delivered during diner. So I headed out to find the flower cart, which was located on Deck 6 tonight to get some roses for Bev and Mom. In 8 cruises, every arrangement I've bought has been in great shape right to the end of the trip...

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Here's a shot of the Day 2 Main Dining Room dinner menu

IMG_0683.jpg

The entry hallway from the main atrium to the gift shop and further on the photo area

IMG_0673.jpg

Next up - a few shots of the main atrium and lounge area!

L.J.

Edited by WalleyeLJ

After ordering the flowers I took a few steps to one of the access points into the main atrium. It was all bathed in purple and they were flashing the RCI anchor logo with big spots on the side wall of the towering atrium. This area had a live singer and band playing a variety of standards every night. When the singer wasn't there, there were other attractions and events like the cake building challenge! It was also the spot for 70s Disco Night!!! - but not tonight...

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

Next stop - Schooner Bar & Giovanni's Table!

L.J.

The Schooner Bar, where Chops & Giovanni's Table are located, is on Deck 6 forward on the port/left side of the ship, accessed via the main atrium area. It's a warm place with lots of dark woods, brass and a heavy earlier colonial nautical theme. This spot is one of the more popular on the ship, and commonly where trivia events are held, along with a nightly piano bar, complete (sometimes) with sing-along's...

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Now - on to the good part - dinner!

L.J.

Giovanni's is listed as service family style, which is true, but they can scale the servings down to just single or paired servings, as well as larger portions. I'm going to post the menu first, so the foodie's in the group can figure out what each of the dishes are, as I'll forget or misname them probably!

Page 1

IMG_0724.jpg

Page 2

IMG_0725.jpg

A look around the left half of the room

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

L.J.

Now, it's dinner time! Like most all dining options, you can order what you like, and we hit the appetizer list pretty hard.

Our table - Bev & my parents

IMG_0688.jpg

Taking a stab as the Insalata Caprese

IMG_0692.jpg

A closer look...

IMG_0693.jpg

Antipasti - HUGE platter - more than the 4 of us could eat...

IMG_0694.jpg

Almond crusted scallops - I don't eat seafood, but I think this was the favorite dish of both Bev & my parents in terms of the pre entree food - maybe even the whole dinner...

IMG_0696.jpg

Focaccia Della Casa (it was fine, but probably my least favorite item I had)

IMG_0697.jpg

Almost time for the pasta and entree courses!

L.J.

I didn't personally like any of the main Italian entrees, so I had the Grilled Beef Tenderloin, and enjoyed the Italian infusion via the appetizers and sides. My parents had the stuffed chicken, and Bev had the baked Jumbo shrimp.

Baked stuffed chickens...

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Maryland Crab Ravioli

IMG_0702.jpg

Baked ricotta and spinach crepes

IMG_0704.jpg

L.J.

The two vases of roses were delivered at the beginning of dinner, and as always they looked great. Since we had SO much food on our table for 4, and Giovanni's wasn't overly crowded, our server put them on the neighboring table until we left.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

Now, onto the sweet stuff!!!

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

Pre trip I added my Dad's 73rd and my 40th (December, but the cruise was partly for the celebration of it - and I don't ski or dogsled!) birthday's to our trip plan, and set it up for this dinner. The wait staff brought our two slices of decadent chocolate cake and sang (much better than are regular rendition back home).

IMG_0714.jpg

My absolute favorite - Tiramisu!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0713.jpg

Completely stuffed, we waddled our way to the evening show in the Aurora Theater (I can't remember what it was), and then piled into bed to rest up for our return to Harv & Marv and the whales of Juneau!

L.J.