2012 July 6-20 Alaska Land and Cruise Adventure Review with LOTS of photos!

WalleyeLJ

What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?

• Brown/Grizzly Bears
    • Wolves
    • Lynx
    • Puffins
    • Bald Eagles
    • Humpback Whales
    • Mountain Goats
    • Dall Sheep
    • Orca/Killer Whales
    • Harbor Seals
    • Sea Otters
    • Moose
    • Sea Lions
    • Other

Thanks framer! I'm sorry it's taking so long to get everything posted. Between returning to the day job, catching up on sleep, the Olympics and my tendancy to talk/write too much (one of the downfalls of my failed "live" report attempt), and actually sorting out and tweaking 12,000 photos...it's just taking a while! I'm glad that at least some folks have found it entertaining and/or informative.

As for changing future plans, I'm with you. While we've loved cruising Alaska twice, we definitely plan on returning to do a land ony, bear focused trip in 2-3 years:D!

L.J.

Don't change how you're doing your report. It's NOT too wordy. It makes the reader feel like they're right there with you. And your photos are FABULOUS! I'M LOVIN' IT!

EDIT with over 11,000 views, I'd say there are quite a few people enjoying your review and waiting for more lol

Edited by NoobCruise

With twins trailing behind, not showing a care in the world, Mom followed the trail up the hillside, apparently determined not just to run the male bear off, but communicate in a more up close and personal manner...

untitled-9031.jpg

It took 10-15 minutes or so before we saw any more bear activity. The trail the bears took to the right up the hillside twisted and turned until it disappeared in the thick brush. The bluff overlooking the cove was probably 200 feet high or so. We finally spotted movement along the top, which led to the fantastically funny scene just a couple minutes later pictured below:

Please don't hit me again - I promise I'll stay away from your fish!!!

untitled-9042.jpg

Walk the plank?! What do you mean - this tree???

untitled-9043.jpg

I am NEVER going to get out of this alive...never mind a date next spring...

untitled-9045.jpg

After a few minutes cowering in/on/along the tree, the young male finally got up the courage to climb up to the top of the hillside, disappearing from view...

L.J.

Don't change how you're doing your report. It's NOT too wordy. It makes the reader feel like they're right there with you. And your photos are FABULOUS! I'M LOVIN' IT!

EDIT with over 11,000 views, I'd say there are quite a few people enjoying your review and waiting for more lol

LOL- I will keep on keepin' on!

L.J.

The bear chase was very cool, but it also kept us from seeing another fishing attempt to two, and it led to a long period during which there were ...no bears! So, we turned our attention back to the fishing.

These couple of shots show a very pretty Sockeye that was really beginning to turn pink on its way to the blood red color that they are so famous for as they reach peak readiness to spawn.

untitled-0887.jpg

untitled-0889.jpg

As a result of the fishing techniques used to try and catch the Sockeyes, a lot of hook/float/weight rigs get caught in the rocks that cover the bottom of the cove. As we looked in the water at the swarming schools of fish, we could see the little colorful floats strewn along the bottom in different spots. Rusty decided to get out of the boat and try and clean up as many as he could. He said that he had seen both bears and eagles with the rigs caught on them as they often had several feet of line still attached. He said to watch for bears so he could clamber back into the boat ASAP! Believe it or not, that was actually a MUCH more pulse racing moment than any time during the Katmai adventure. As he sorted through the rigs, he showed us the different styles of setups that people used, explaining the advantages of each.

untitled-0900.jpg

untitled-0914.jpg

L.J.

Watching the fish school up and move through the cove was a very cool experience. It was even better seeing them, while folks in the other boats were fishing for them!

untitled-0925.jpg

untitled-0966.jpg

untitled-0939.jpg

untitled-0962.jpg

Some of the fish had bucktail jigs (lower left of the first photo above -red & white) and float rigs stuck on them. One fish even had a vicious wound on its back, likely the result of a nibble by a seal before the fish made it into the relative safety of freshwater.

L.J.

We went a long time with no bears, and it was getting late - about 4:40pm. Rusty told us about a pretty waterfall earlier, and he brought it up again. He said if we wanted to head to the falls we would have to leave in a few minutes. If not, we could stay until 5:10pm or so waiting to see if more bears came out. Well, my boat mates refused - refused! - to vote, leaving it all up to me!!!

Now, waterfalls are one of my favorite things to photograph. There was no guarantee that we would see any more bears with the time we had left. However, bears are a rare event in our lives, and since NO ONE would help make the decision, I cast my lone vote to stay and wait for the possibility of one last chance to see the bears up close.

4:45pm

4:50pm

4:55pm

5:00pm - Rusty says we have to get ready to go...

5:03pm - our young male reappears!!!!!!!

With a quick look to the right and a sniff of the air, the youngster turned left and headed towards the fishing hole. In a matter of a few seconds he closed the gap to the water and entered with a massive splash, water going everywhere...would this finally be the moment of success?!?!?!?!?!!?

untitled-9142.jpg

Victory!!! Success!!! Winner winner, salmon dinner!!!

untitled-9160.jpg

untitled-9161.jpg

Having finally caught a tasty snack, our young man had no time to stop and enjoy it there. So, he headed ashore, climbed up on the embankment, and hightailed it up the trail and up the hill, but not before I grabbed a few more shots...

untitled-9180.jpg

untitled-9183.jpg

untitled-9184.jpg

Boat ready to go with only minutes until our plane was due to arrive, Rusty decided we had just enough time for a quick run to the falls before hightailing it to the rally point, so off we went!

L.J.

Love, love, love your review and pictures. Please keep up your way of writing even if you take longer than you would like to finish this review. We will all just keep tuning back in for your updates.

Looking forward to the next chapter............

Rusty explained that the bears spend a huge amount of time fighting over territory and establishing a very distinct hierarchy - even more than fishing on many days.

This reminded me of the bears at Anan Creek. Under the viewing platform, a couple of bears were not getting along and started fighting, growling, rumbling and tumbling. My goodness I thought they were going to take the supports out and we'd all be thrown into the midst of this nasty fight. :eek:

These two must have had "issues" with each other because there were lots of bears there and they all just ignored each other...except them. :)

Think this is like a book we are all reading together and especially enjoying the pictures and captions. Thanks again for all the time you have put into this post.

I agree, mommybearx2. Forget "Fifty Shades of Grey", I'll take L.J.'s "Fifty Shades of Brown" ... Bears, that is!;)

Still loving it, L.J. You may have found a new career! I hope you enjoyed your movie, because your fans sure missed you! Now that the Olympic are over, waiting for your post is the highlight of my evening!:D

With trusty Rusty at the helm, we made quick time across the water to the falls. A bit of a breeze had come up, so I pretty much had to shoot backwards to keep the camera dry. That was probably best as our beautiful weather was about to come to an end as a new front moved in, bringing with it heavy cloud cover. Little did we know that this was Tuesday, and that we wouldn't see the sun again until Saturday...

Capt Rusty!

untitled-0972.jpg

The last sunlit mountain...for a few days!

untitled-0977.jpg

The pretty falls...in 30 seconds or less!

untitled-0990.jpg

untitled-9210.jpg

untitled-0996.jpg

In a flash, we were back at the plane...where everyone was already buckled in and waiting on us! Oh well...at least they didn't leave without us!

L.J.

All buckled in, we headed back to Soldotna. Before takeoff we all took a few photos of each other...

Our fellow passengers, Kay & the fishing crew!

untitled-1009.jpg

Bev & I

untitled-0426-2.jpg

As I think I mentioned, I'm not always a big fan of flying. After we took off, the plane didn't head straight back the way we came. Instead, the pilots flew us a few miles south, over a beautiful, massive glacier. Unfortunately, as they weaved in, out and over the mountain passes, it was...a little bumpy. For some reason, that triggered the same stress sensation from the Katmai trip. My seat was between windows so that I had to really strain to look out and down, and it just wasn't happening at that point in time. I've never really felt sick on a flight, but I came close for those 10 minutes (and it wasn't that bad in terms of turbulence - it was me). I hated it because the views were breathtaking - which I think was part of the problem! Fortunately I did at least get a couple of shots...

untitled-1018.jpg

untitled-1024.jpg

The rest of the flight was uneventful, and 30 minutes or so later we landed back in Soldotna. Safely back on the ground, with no flying in our future until Seattle, we headed towards Seward. We stopped into the Soldotna Harley Davidson store so Bev could pick up a gift for a friend back at work. We were going to eat in Soldotna, but decided to load up on milk and soda and eat the rest of our baked goods from the morning! It turned out to be a good plan as we ran into a bit of road construction on the Seward Highway about 25 miles outside of Seward itself.

untitled-1033.jpg

Just as we rolled into Seward (around 8:30pm or so), my phone rang - it was Michael from A Sunshine House, our B&B for our three nights in Seward. They were checking to see when we would be arriving as they were getting up at 4am to cook breakfast for the other couple that was staying their before they went fishing in the morning. 5 minutes later we arrived. Michael and Marsha were great hosts. We (ok - mostly me) were a rolling travel packing disaster, but Michael insisted in helping up lug our 2 tons of gear into the house and up into our room. After everything was in and settled, they said goodnight and we headed out for a late dinner. We had asked for a recommendation, and Michael suggested a Greek/Italian/American restaurant called The Apollo. We were SO tired (but hungry) at that point, that I didn't take any photos. We ended up having Mozzarella sticks, chicken parmesan, fettuccine alfredo, salad and bread. Plus, a serving of tiramisu to go. It was DELICIOUS! The one down side was the price - $84 or so for the two of us. I know things cost more to get in Alaska, but even that seems a little much! Bellies full, we headed back to get a good night's sleep. The next day we were going to pick up our Seward rental car, return our Anchorage car, and pick up my parents who were flying in the next afternoon!

Two more runs up and down Turnagin Arm...more Dall Sheep perhaps?!?!

L.J.

This reminded me of the bears at Anan Creek. Under the viewing platform, a couple of bears were not getting along and started fighting, growling, rumbling and tumbling. My goodness I thought they were going to take the supports out and we'd all be thrown into the midst of this nasty fight. :eek:

These two must have had "issues" with each other because there were lots of bears there and they all just ignored each other...except them. :)

We were originally scheduled to do the Anan Creek trip with Island Wings in Ketchikan on this trip, but once the Katmai option worked out, I had to cut something somewhere:). Hopefully if we ever get there, it'll be a little less stressful! I'm guessing the babies were part of it, plus the fact that the salmon were pooling but not running, which made fishing a bit harder than when they tried to make their run up that dribble cup of a stream.

L.J.

Yipee, success for the young bear! Sure hope he enjoyed his salmon and mama bear didn't see it. :D

No Brooks Falls, but it was pretty darn cool! She may have gotten to him later, but as we were leaving, it looked like he got away clean;).

L.J.

That's it...you are going to have to run a group trip which will include photos! I bet a few of us viewers would love to do that one. I will stick to the bears and leave the fish alone. Let's just say bad older brother experience post fishing trip...Ohhh brothers;) Not in 2013 since we are already booked and I don't think the DH will be talked into a longer trip.:D

That's it...you are going to have to run a group trip which will include photos! I bet a few of us viewers would love to do that one. I will stick to the bears and leave the fish alone. Let's just say bad older brother experience post fishing trip...Ohhh brothers;) Not in 2013 since we are already booked and I don't think the DH will be talked into a longer trip.:D

LOL - that would be FUN! Maybe 2014 or 2015;)!

L.J.

Loving your review! :) In many of your photos, there are people in short sleeved t-shirts all the way to winter coats! What was the temperature like? We are from Wisconsin, so we are used to it being cold, but I am not sure how to pack for our trip next summer.

Wow! This has been an amazing review. My daughter, Mom and I are heading up there next week for a 4 day land and 7 day cruise. You're pictures are amazing. I'm going to use a 7D as well. It looks like you used your zoom for most of the trip. Did you use auto much? The camera is pretty new to me so I don't want to miss anything. Any tips? Aperture Priority? Again, this has been an amazing review. Thanks for the time and effort.