A special request of Jim and/or Stan

Don P

A few of us on the September 24, 2012 Riviera are unsure about what to do or see in Kotor, Montenegro. I know you both are good at "all things Oceania" and we have come to appreciate your advice.

Could you offer some suggestions regarding this port stop?

Thanks,

Don P.

A few of us on the September 24, 2012 Riviera are unsure about what to do or see in Kotor, Montenegro. I know you both are good at "all things Oceania" and we have come to appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Don P.

Don P,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but we have been to Kotor a few times.

Great place to visit, lovely narrow streets lots to see. You can also climb to the top of the mountain which is great. You just pay to go round the walls and then keep going the views from the top are unbelieable.

Also get up early to see the sail in or if you sail in the afternoon be sure to be on deck. The views again are as if you are sailing along a Ffjord.

If you get up early the mist and the views are remarkable.

You will see lots of little islands with churches on and you can hear the bells tolling as you pass.

Enjoy.

Unfortunately I will not be climbing any significant steps; our interests lie in scenic views from hilltop restaurants.

QUOTE=LEESRE;34721627]Don P,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but we have been to Kotor a few times.

Great place to visit, lovely narrow streets lots to see. You can also climb to the top of the mountain which is great. You just pay to go round the walls and then keep going the views from the top are unbelieable.

Also get up early to see the sail in or if you sail in the afternoon be sure to be on deck. The views again are as if you are sailing along a Ffjord.

If you get up early the mist and the views are remarkable.

You will see lots of little islands with churches on and you can hear the bells tolling as you pass.

Enjoy.

I was unable to climb to the church or fortress last year because of RA. In fact, I was was using a wheelchair and poor DH pushed me around. I would hobble up or down a few steps if needed. Hope my new knees work better on my upcoming cruise.

I am unaware of any hillside restaurants with views. You might search the ports board looking for info on Kotor.

Having said that, we had a marvelous day in Kotor. There are several beautiful churches of various denominations that are worth seeing, especially St. Tryphan's. The small walled city is very charming, with narrow passageways, small piazzas and Venetian-style architecture, framed by views of incredibly dramatic mountains.

We had a leisurely lunch at a great little pizza place (yes, pizza) called La Pasteria, located in the square dominated by St. Tryphan's church. We had very good Montenegrin wine and beer with lunch.

As noted in so many posts about this port, do not miss the sailing in and out through the Bay of Kotor. The scenery is spectacular, with the small villages and churches, plus the famous churches on the islands not far from Kotor. Keep your eyes peeled as you are just entering from the open sea (on the starboard side, or port side when exiting) for a couple of U-boat shelters.

Thanks,

Don P.

We were just in Kotor, during the Riviera Maiden Voyage, and booked a tour via:

http://www.privateshoretrips.com/

It was the KOTOR, PERAST AND OUR LADY OF THE ROCKS Tour which ran for approximately 4 Hours, and it was AMAZING.

041955.jpg After we finished with the Guide, we shopped a little in Kotor, and then returned to the ship.

Using the boat to travel between the villages, gave up a superb view of the Fjord, and lovely, relaxing morning.

SO much nicer than a bus!

Jimandstan, what size was the boat used on your kotor tour and were you the only ones on the boat ? Also, how long did you spend in kotor bay during the tour ? Have you ever used this company for any other tours ? Thanks.

Jimandstan, what size was the boat used on your kotor tour and were you the only ones on the boat ? Also, how long did you spend in kotor bay during the tour ? Have you ever used this company for any other tours ? Thanks.

Betsy and I were with Jim and Stan, along with CAG and her husband (Cenia and Glen). We were the only ones on the boat. At a guess, I'd say the boat was about 30'. Here, the camera is looking forward. Our guide is in the center, and the boat pilot and a friend are ahead. That's Stan to the left and Jim's back on the right.

023747.jpg

We boarded the boat just a few steps from the ship. I think it took about a half hour or so to reach the Our Lady of the Rock Church, then it was just a couple of minutes on the boat to Perast, then about a half hour or so back to Kotor. We had all the time we would have wanted in the church, which was a highlight of the cruise. Back in Kotor, our guide took us on an extensive tour of the town, then we stopped in the market on our own before returning to the ship.

None of us had the least desire to climb the more than 1400 steps to the top of the city walls :rolleyes:.

Jim made all the arrangements for the tour; all I know is the arrangements were smooth, the guide was great, she was perfectly willing to let us set the pace, and she never tried to set up any shopping (although I'm sure she would have, if we wanted it).

Edited by hondorner

With apologies to Don, whose recollections are usually amazing, the boat was a 45 foot motor launch, with canopy, which could have held about 25 people. We were a group of six, plus our guide and the pilot of the boat and we were alone.

886200804_bb76ee57b8.jpg

We used Privateshoretrips in Kotor, and Crete, and were very very happy with the quality of their services.

Thanks for this thread. Kotor is on my list of cities to see. It just looks so beautiful. I've been looking and drooling at one of the cruises that overnights in Venice and Istanbul, with Kotor along the way, for a couple years now!

JimandStan,

(an apology to all for veering off topic but inquiring minds want to know...)

was this cruise the 1st time you've used privateshoretrips? Some of their tours for other cities look wonderful and I was curious if you or others on CC had used them successfully in the past. Thanks.......c

I have used them several times in the past for different ports and have them booked again for my upcoming Riviera cruise. I agree that they are very responsive and professional. We have always been pleased with the guides they have provided.

------------------------

Helen

Ha ha, mundane question. Not an early riser, but I can do it with a jolt of coffee.

So...for our early morning sail into Kotor, where I can get some coffee onboard - say at 5:00 a.m?

Room Service will always bring you a pot, and there is also "early risers" coffee and pastries up in Horizons.

004357.jpgCoffee or no coffee, don't miss the sail into (or out of) Kotor, it is BREATHTAKING.

Truly one of the highlights of the Adriatic.

With apologies to Jim ;), whose images are usually perfect, this is much closer to the actual tour boat he arranged in Kotor.

index_r6_c2.jpg

It may, in fact, be the same boat -- notice the angle of the aluminum support behind Glen and compare to the above photo...

024138.jpg

It's hard to determine scale from a photo, but it also appears to be closer to 30' than 45'...

Edited by hondorner

Don H.

The reason I ask is that the cover appears to be more than a canopy. We like the shade this size vessel seems to offer.

Don P.

Betsy and I were with Jim and Stan, along with CAG and her husband (Cenia and Glen). We were the only ones on the boat. At a guess, I'd say the boat was about 30'. Here, the camera is looking forward. Our guide is in the center, and the boat pilot and a friend are ahead. That's Stan to the left and Jim's back on the right.

023747.jpg

We boarded the boat just a few steps from the ship. I think it took about a half hour or so to reach the Our Lady of the Rock Church, then it was just a couple of minutes on the boat to Perast, then about a half hour or so back to Kotor. We had all the time we would have wanted in the church, which was a highlight of the cruise. Back in Kotor, our guide took us on an extensive tour of the town, then we stopped in the market on our own before returning to the ship.

None of us had the least desire to climb the more than 1400 steps to the top of the city walls :rolleyes:.

Jim made all the arrangements for the tour; all I know is the arrangements were smooth, the guide was great, she was perfectly willing to let us set the pace, and she never tried to set up any shopping (although I'm sure she would have, if we wanted it).

That is the boat that we were on for the tour in Kotor. It did have a hard top. It was also large enough that we could move about from one side to the other for better views or to get into the shade or the sun. Not sure if every tour through that group would be on the same boat.

That's correct Glen, they don't guarantee a particular guide OR boat.

Private Tour Trips does not employ any guides, or own any transportation.

We used the same company, at your suggestion, had a different boat, tour guide, and enjoyable trip.

Contact us- Jim & Stan.

Arline

Don H.

icon5.gifIs this a photo from the Kotor tour?

The reason I ask is that the cover appears to be more than a canopy. We like the shade this size vessel seems to offer.

Don P.

Hi, Don, Glen (grg3) answered you well and he should know, he's the guy pictured in post #20 :D.