Customs - Vancouver

JamesW6175

:) Going on an Alaska Cruise/Tour HAL Tour 17 departing Vancouver on June 26,2005. Will arrive in Vancouver on the 24 June for some sightseeing before the cruise. What is required by the Customs people as far as bringing in a digital camera and then boarding the ship on the 26 June. Will I have to have some paperwork for the Canadian Customs on entry to Canada and then something for the US Customs when we board the ship ??? I have already got passports for myself & better half. Got the Cruise documentation from HAL already.

Thanks for any INFO...

I'm not sure what you mean about the camera - you're going into Canada, not a Turkish military base. You need a passport and photo ID such as driver's license - that's all unless you're bringing in a gun or a trailer full of stuff.

Murray

I tucked my receipt for my brand-new camcorder into the camera bag just in case....Since I carry my cameras with me as carry-on....I didn't want to run into a Customs person in a bad mood willing to make someone else's day miserable as well. I felt that was the best guarantee of proof of purchase. As a bonus....if anything goes wrong with the camera..you will know where the receipt is!

You can go to your local customs office and register the items...when you have time. It's good for life and sets your mind at ease.

If you're coming from a country where cameras were particularly cheap you might get questioned about whether you purchased it there, but you're an American going to Canada for a cruise and you'll be returning from Alaska, a place not known for cheap cameras. So neither U.S. or Canada Customs is going to say anything to you about your camera.

Just don't lose your receipt; you could need it later for warranty work.

BobK/Orlando

SEA PRINCESS MAY 2005 yeah baby!

I usually carry 1-2 digital cameras onboard along with batteries and I have NEVER had any customs anywhere in the world ask for documentation? I don't think that exists anywhere now unless you piss some customs official off and they start nitpicking with you.

You know, folks have suggested to carry receipts for items for years and I did at one time, but gave it up. I have carried a laptop on intl leisure trips for over 10 years, digital cameras for less, but for quite some time. NEVER, EVER had a single question. Flew in and out of Montreal recently, no questions.

I would bet at least a third of the folks on that cruise will have either a digital camera or a nice one, lots with fancy jewels, handful with computers, etc.

And, Canada is one of the most relaxed of our foreign friends.

No issues, really.

Archived