Lobster still out there?

Teragram Snave

We had Caribbean lobster one evening on the Solstice. It was pretty good! The waiter will come over and break the shell for you so wait for him before you dive in for the first bite. ;)

Not being a cruiser until this October, I have always associated cruises with lobster but my sense is that maybe a thing of the past. Does Celebrity do a lobster night other than the lobster served in Murano?

Had lobster in MDR on Constellation around Norway a few weeks back - I think it was the last formal night. HTH.

On most itineraries there is generally a dish one night (in the main dining room and Blu) that contains a tail of a warm water lobster, but there is no full lobster dinner. I see from your profile that you live on the coast; if you are used to cold water lobster properly cooked then cruise ship lobster might very well be unappealing to you. Having grown up in Boston, I am not a big fan of cruise ship lobster as warm water lobster is just not as good and often times (since they are mass cooking thousands of tails) they are overdone. The nice thing about a cruise though is you can try an order and if it is not to your liking, order something else. The lobster tail I had at Blu last cruise though was significantly better than the lobster tails I have had in the main dining room on previous cruises.

On most itineraries there is generally a dish one night (in the main dining room and Blu) that contains a tail of a warm water lobster, but there is no full lobster dinner. I see from your profile that you live on the coast; if you are used to cold water lobster properly cooked then cruise ship lobster might very well be unappealing to you. Having grown up in Boston, I am not a big fan of cruise ship lobster as warm water lobster is just not as good and often times (since they are mass cooking thousands of tails) they are overdone. The nice thing about a cruise though is you can try an order and if it is not to your liking, order something else. The lobster tail I had at Blu last cruise though was significantly better than the lobster tails I have had in the main dining room on previous cruises.

Another BIG problem with Celebrity Main Dining Room Caribbean Lobster (Prawns actually - Panulirus Argus and Panulirus Laevicauda) Tails is that they all board the ship frozen solid.

1211260432343.jpg

I can't figure out why they don't load up on Maine lobster, it is really cheap right now.

That would be nice, even if they offered it for a small upcharge.

One of my neighborhood restaurants is having a $10 Maine lobster night this week. :)

Greetings

The MDR menu does have lobster tails on it now. The previous menu had a split/stuffed lobster which was replaced when they reworked the menus eariler this year.

The lobster served is a spiny lobster tail which they obtain frozen. All fish on board the ship (with the exception of some fish on the Alaska cruises) has been frozen.

Many posters report a fondness for American lobster over Spiny lobster, but they are comparing fresh lobster to frozen. If they could eat truly fresh Spiny lobster, they might have a different view.

On Equinox, they cooked the lobster very well and it was quite tasty. Maybe other ships do not prepare them with as much care. If they overcook the lobster, it will be tough.

Good Sailing

Tom

It took us a while to figure out what to do about the lobster in MDR.

I finally realized that if I asked for the lobster with no sauce or risotto and quickly smeared it with butter on arrival, it was quite tasty. Our other option was to eat at the specialty restaurant and order "Lobster - your way". Then, surprise, 'your way' became a prepared at your table dish with lobster chunks. So, I am very glad to hear that MDR is back to the tails. :)

Greetings

The MDR menu does have lobster tails on it now. The previous menu had a split/stuffed lobster which was replaced when they reworked the menus eariler this year.

The lobster served is a spiny lobster tail which they obtain frozen. All fish on board the ship (with the exception of some fish on the Alaska cruises) has been frozen.

Many posters report a fondness for American lobster over Spiny lobster, but they are comparing fresh lobster to frozen. If they could eat truly fresh Spiny lobster, they might have a different view.

On Equinox, they cooked the lobster very well and it was quite tasty. Maybe other ships do not prepare them with as much care. If they overcook the lobster, it will be tough.

Good Sailing

Tom

I agree we had ours on the Millennium in May and it was probably the best ive had in the MDR on any cruise ive been on.

Not being a cruiser until this October, I have always associated cruises with lobster but my sense is that maybe a thing of the past. Does Celebrity do a lobster night other than the lobster served in Murano?

Yes. And escargot is back on the menu! My husband, who does not usually eat lobster, enjoyed his....

Returned from the Silhouette yesterday and confirm:

Lobster is in the main dining room on at least one of the formal nights. Very simply done, without heavy sauce.

Lobster in specialty restaurant, Murano, is cooked tableside and quite tasty, but ask them to hold the mustard in the sauce, as this is all you will taste in the end.

The ships head chef confirmed that ALL seafood is delivered frozen and then thawed under controlled conditions ( i.e. slowly). This is duevto food safety concerns. All bakteria and parasites that might be present would be killed off during the freezing process.

For the meat lovers, the beef served on board was, without exception, delicious and cooked perfectly to order.

We were very impressed by the fact that the chefs in all restaurants managedcto deliver oerfectly cooked poached eggs with beautifully runny yolks, every time.

Most land based hotels would struggle to do this... :-)

Top marks to the pastry kitchen and bakery.

Always a wide variety of delicious, fresh bread (apart from bagels, which probably will only ever be trully great in NYC). Excellent cakes, pastries, desserts etc. These did not only LOOK good, but tasted great as well. All too often, in large volume catering, sweet items look very pretty, but then all taste the same. Bland, artificial and loike sweet fluff without

substance.

Once, in Murano, a chocolate soufflee was a bit too heavy and cake like.

It was replaced immediately, this time cooked (obviously especially from scratch) baked to absolute perfection.

:-)

Cold water lobsters in New England are at the lowest prices in years. The lobstermen are complaining that they are only getting $2.99 a pound for them at the dock and that they are not making any money. Of course, they are always complaining about that:rolleyes:. Our local supermarket is having a sale all this week for $3.99 a pound. I bought two lobsters yesterday for less than $12 and my wife enjoyed them for dinner, although we ate oudoors at the picnic table in the backyard since they can be quite messy.:D There is no way that the frozen or small Caribbean lobsters stack up to what we enjoy up here. Thus lobster night on a cruise is no big deal to us.

Now a stupid question. Whats the difference between warm water and cold water lobsters. Thank you.

Greetings

They are both decapods, but the cold water lobster is from the family Nephropidae whereas the warm water lobster is from the family Palinuridae. Two different animals. Cold water lobsters have claws, the spiny lobsters (warm water lobsters) do not and the lobster tails are what are normally found commercially. Cold water lobsters are found from New Jersey all the way up into Canada. It has a closely related cousin found in northern European waters. The spiny lobster is found in temperate waters throughout the world.

Good Sailing

Tom

Archived