West to East Canal Transit

charlielinda

Can anyone confirm what I think will happen on our trip from LA to Ft. Lauderdale.

I am under the impression that the ship will enter the canal (on the Pacific) and go through two sets of locks at which point it will allow passengers off the ship for excursions (Grand Tour of Panama). After the tour the passengers that went on excursions will met the ship in Colon and have missed one set of locks.

Can anyone tell me if this is so? Thanks so much!

Hi Basket lady, what ship will you be on and what date? It seems you will be tranistting the Panama Canal on what we call a full North Bound transit. If I m right, and it all depends on what ship you will be cruising in, you will start off on the Pacific side of The Panama Canal, transitting the Miraflores Locks and then the Pedro Miguel Locks, next the ship will arrive the atlantic side where pax who have signed up for a tour, will be tendered off at the Gatun Yacht Club. After this operation is finished, the rest of the ship will then transit the Gatun Locks, which has three chambers. This will be the end of the Canal, then the ship will head towards Pier 6, where I actually work. The passengers who got off in the lake, will then rejoin the ship after their tour has finished.

Once the ship arrives at Pier 6, passengers onboard will be able to disembark and enjoy the Pier's facilities.

Hope this info can help....

Marie14. Thanks for your help. We'll be on the Summit from LA to Ft. Lauderdale in October. Since we'll have gone through two sets of locks and seen the Lake do you think we would miss anything by not going through the last set of locks.

We are planning on the Grand Tour of Panama Excursion which inclues a visit to a Embera Indian village and also a visit to the Guatun Locks were we will be given a 30 minute presentation. I thought that seeing the locks from off the ship would also give us a different perspective.

We were in Panama last year and did the Ocean to Ocean Railroad and loved it. Each of our tablemates had done a different excursion and everyone had a wonderful time in Panama so we are excited to be able to visit Panama again.

HI Basket Lady:

As you mention, I think that if you get off for your tour (which by the way is an excellent choice, since you will see our Embera Indians and the Gatun Locks from up close) you will get to enjoy the Canal from every angle. So I would say not to worry about missing the Gatun Locks, you will make up for it, trust me!

If youd like, once you arrive at Pier 6, where you will be rejoing the ship after your tour is finished, maybe you can go by the Information Center and give us your feedback on you experience. Ask for Mrs. Ballesteros.. take care!

• 3 months later...
Technically, wouldn't a West to East transit of the Panama Canal be from the Caribbean to the Pacific? wink.gif

Yes, technically, a west to east transit is from the Atlantic to Pacific, but more accurately is a north to south transit.........

I'm just curious why someone would say that a west to east transit is technically a transit from the Atlantic to the Pacific when I see it as a transit from the Pacific to the Atlantic (Caribbean). I'm not doubting it's a north to south transit, but no way west to east is Atlantic to Pacific.

Also, I've been very interested in the posts on this board by Marie14. Cristobal Pier sounds wonderful for shopping and I'm looking forward to it. We'll be on the same cruise as BasketLady on the Summit 10/23/05 (out of LA) and look forward to seeing you! Do you have any links you can provide with maps of the stores and such? That would be fantastic.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Woodofpine is correct.....the Pacific entrance is slightly east of the Atlantic entrance....which is why Panama is the only place on Earth, if you're in the right part of the country, where you can see the sun rise in the Pacific and set in the Atlantic Ocean.......weird, but if you look at the way Panama makes an S-shape, you'll see why that is the case. For reference, most of the time a PC transit is not called a "east to west" or "west to east" transit...simply because the geography of Panama makes this very confusing. If you spend some time with the PanCanal workers, you'll find that they (at least used to) refer to transits as Atlantic to Pacific or Pacific to Atlantic.....

I'm just curious why someone would say that a west to east transit is technically a transit from the Atlantic to the Pacific when I see it as a transit from the Pacific to the Atlantic (Caribbean). I'm not doubting it's a north to south transit, but no way west to east is Atlantic to Pacific.

Also, I've been very interested in the posts on this board by Marie14. Cristobal Pier sounds wonderful for shopping and I'm looking forward to it. We'll be on the same cruise as BasketLady on the Summit 10/23/05 (out of LA) and look forward to seeing you! Do you have any links you can provide with maps of the stores and such? That would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Hello Heather,

There is quite a bit of shopping at Cristobal, what exactly are you looking for?

• 1 month later...
Hello Heather,

There is quite a bit of shopping at Cristobal, what exactly are you looking for?

Marie, I missed this post ... lot of trouble getting on the boards. I'm not looking for anything in particular. I just like to shop for different things than we can get here in the states.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Heather:

At pier 6 you will be able to find all types of Panamanian arts & Crafts, specially items such as the Molas, made by our native Kuna Indians, everything from a mola on a shirt to different articles for your home. The "taguas" are also very popular, made by our native Embera indians, these are made from the ivory nut. Embera and Kuna indians are present at Pier 6 so you will be able to buy arts & crafts directly from them. There are so many arts and crafts , I really hope you find what you need. Please give us your feedback once you return home...

Archived