Local Currency

bee-ess

Alexandria:

Currency & Best Way to Get Money

The local currency is the Egyptian pound. The current exchange rate is one pound to 17.5 cents U.S. (though we recommend you visit http://www.xe.com for up-to-the-minute exchange rates.) However, there's absolutely no need to convert your dollars or euros to Egyptian currency because the locals prefer our hard cash. It's a good idea to carry some small denominations, dollar bills or euro coins. Credit cards are widely accepted in finer shops and restaurants.

Cairo:

The national currency is the Egyptian pound, or L.E., which is divided into 100 piasters, or P.T. Visit http://www.oanda.com or http://www.xe.com for up-to-the-minute exchange rates. (Oanda also has a nice "cheat sheet" conversion chart that fits neatly into a wallet.)

Egypt is still largely a cash economy, though credit cards are widely accepted in finer stores, restaurants and hotels. Vendors will take American dollars, euros and Egyptian pounds interchangeably (although your change will come back in Egyptian currency). ATM's tend to be the least expensive way to obtain local currency. Note: Try not to have any Egyptian money left at the end of your stay, as you cannot exchange it outside of Egypt.

Aqaba:

The Jordanian dinar is worth about $1.41 U.S. (check XE.com for the most accurate exchange rate before your trip.) Money can be exchanged at banks, hotels and currency exchange offices, and you will find ATM's at banks around town. Most shops and restaurants accept credit cards, but fewer take traveler's checks -- better to change your traveler's checks into dinar. U.S. dollars are also accepted at markets and some shops.

Safaga:

The Egyptian Pound is the currency, and $1 U.S. equals about 5.69 Egyptian Pounds. (Check XE.com for the latest currency rates.) Most souvenir shops are happy to take U.S. dollars. Bank branches (Banque Misr and Banque du Caire) in Safaga have ATM's, which dispense Egyptian Pounds. Exchange traveler's checks on your ship or at hotels and banks. Credit cards are widely accepted at shops and restaurants.

I always pay in the currency of the country I am in. Sure, it may be convenient as the tourist to give a vendor $US dollars. But the vendor has to then tally up all the different currencies he received and take them to an exchange house to convert to their own currency.

I look at it this way: would I want to be paid in another currency at my job and have to take time to go find a place to change it into $$?

Archived