Stockholm --> Walking to Londonviadukten

To Al Frescoe, or Ultima Thule or anyone who is from Stockholm or has been there and is familiar with the public transportation system....

If my ship docks at Stadsgarden 167 quay... how far is the walk to the Londonviadukten bus stop? When I get off the ship and walk out of the gated area, is it obvious where to go to find the Londonviadukten stop?

Thanks!

Terrific! Thank you.

I see what you mean in the picture about how the corner of the parking lot looks like there might be a path that connects with the road level.

I really appreciate this. My plan is to walk to Londonviadukten, hop on a bus, get off at Slussen and then get on bus 76 to Vasa.

As said, it is just a short walk and very easy to find. But forget about the path in the right hand corner and walk out through the parking area and past the Viking terminal.

thank you.. I will do just that. just out of the port area, past the Viking Terminal and out through the parking area up to the main street and turn left to find the bus stop!

i appreciate the information!

As said, it is just a short walk and very easy to find. But forget about the path in the right hand corner and walk out through the parking area and past the Viking terminal.

Hi Northbound,

I would use the path. In the last couple of years they have built a nice staircase up to the road. Before you had to kind of climb the dirt path to reach the bus stop.

Either way it is not far from 167.

Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for telling me about the footpath, didn't know they had improved it. What I remember is the rather uncomfortable climbing. So I thought it would be better and safer to take the other way. Also, for someone who felt the least uncertain about where to go there would always be people around to help you if you went out past the Viking terminal.

Oh wow, so the path through the parking lot up the hill has a staircase? So, I could just walk up the stairs and then turn right to find the bus stop? Or, I could walk all the way around the parking lot to the road and turn left to find the stop?

Ok, it sounds like either way, it's not far and it's not hard to find!

And from my research, it seems like pretty much every bus that stops at Londonviadukten goes on to Slussen. Once I get to Slussen, is it pretty easy to figure out where the bus stop is for Bus 76 on to Vasa?

Hi Al,

Thanks for telling me about the footpath, didn't know they had improved it. What I remember is the rather uncomfortable climbing. So I thought it would be better and safer to take the other way. Also, for someone who felt the least uncertain about where to go there would always be people around to help you if you went out past the Viking terminal.

Yes, the way it was before I would not recommend for the uninitiated. It was just a path, rather steep and there was a big hole in the chain link fence. I used it all the time but it might be intimidating for a tourist.

Hope you are enjoying the summer :)

Al

Oh wow, so the path through the parking lot up the hill has a staircase? So, I could just walk up the stairs and then turn right to find the bus stop? Or, I could walk all the way around the parking lot to the road and turn left to find the stop?

And from my research, it seems like pretty much every bus that stops at Londonviadukten goes on to Slussen. Once I get to Slussen, is it pretty easy to figure out where the bus stop is for Bus 76 on to Vasa?

Bus #76 (#B76 to Ropsten). stops at stop K

https://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fsommar/S%F6dermalmstorg%5Fterm.pdf

Yup, up the stairs and turn right to the bus stop.

Almost all buses go to Slussen from there, and almost all of them are the LONG red busses. I think there is only one line that does not go to Slussen from there and that one will be one of the shorter red buses.

The long buses stop in the lower part of the station, you need to make your way up to the main road. There is a stop for 76 right near the ferry terminal.

Al

Al_Frescoe, north-bound, Desdichado62 - thank you soooo much for all of this wonderful information! This is terrific. I have taken notes on everything you've told me and I will follow your instructions.

At first, I was going to just walk from the ship to Slussen to catch bus 76, but someone had told me that I should go to Londonviadukten and just change to Slussen since most busses go there anyway. Saves about 10 minutes of walking.

Another question, if you don't mind. At the end of my day, I will hopefully be at the Globe Arena. If I take the t-bana line 19 from Globen station back to Slussen, I can just hop on any bus headed south to get back to Londonviadukten and just walk back to the ship from there, correct?

Thank you!

Al_Frescoe, north-bound, Desdichado62 - thank you soooo much for all of this wonderful information! This is terrific. I have taken notes on everything you've told me and I will follow your instructions.

At first, I was going to just walk from the ship to Slussen to catch bus 76, but someone had told me that I should go to Londonviadukten and just change to Slussen since most busses go there anyway. Saves about 10 minutes of walking.

Another question, if you don't mind. At the end of my day, I will hopefully be at the Globe Arena. If I take the t-bana line 19 from Globen station back to Slussen, I can just hop on any bus headed south to get back to Londonviadukten and just walk back to the ship from there, correct?

Thank you!

Some buses passes by Londonviadukten but not all.

see this map: http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

Thank you!

Make sure you have bus tickets ahead of time, but I think you already know that. :)

Taking a bus from Londonviadukten will save a lot more than 10 minutes, and buses pass by there really regularly. That said, for the thrifty minded (you know who you are), it will cost you for a 2 minute ride to Slussen. If you plan to catch 76 from there and take the scenic route to Vasa that is fine because your bus ticket is valid for an hour. However, if you are in a hurry and want to go straight to the ferry from Slussen to the Vasa, it will cost you another fare to get on the ferry.... just sayin.

Once you get back to Slussen, you need to make your way to the lower level for the buses. the first stop for all the buses is Londonviadukten. But please, put your mind at ease, ask the driver as you enter the bus.

Hope this helps and hope you have a wonderful time.

Al

Some buses passes by Londonviadukten but not all.

see this map: http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

Thank you, I have seen this map, but I guess I didn't study it.

I would assume looking at the map that where fafagan is located and it shows bus 53, 71, 96 is where Londonviadukten is?

Are Swedish bus drivers helpful? Before I board the bus, can I ask the driver he they stop at Londonviadukten?

Or, once I get back from the Globe Arena to Slussen via T-bana, should I just walk back to the ship rather than get stuck trying to find a bus to Londonviadukten?

Make sure you have bus tickets ahead of time, but I think you already know that. :)

Taking a bus from Londonviadukten will save a lot more than 10 minutes, and buses pass by there really regularly. That said, for the thrifty minded (you know who you are), it will cost you for a 2 minute ride to Slussen. If you plan to catch 76 from there and take the scenic route to Vasa that is fine because your bus ticket is valid for an hour. However, if you are in a hurry and want to go straight to the ferry from Slussen to the Vasa, it will cost you another fare to get on the ferry.... just sayin.

Once you get back to Slussen, you need to make your way to the lower level for the buses. the first stop for all the buses is Londonviadukten. But please, put your mind at ease, ask the driver as you enter the bus.

Hope this helps and hope you have a wonderful time.

Al

Al -

Thank you! All of you have been wonderful with the information.

I actually have a Stockholm card. So that covers the bus, T-bana, tram, etc.

I know there's a ferry from Slussen to Djurgarden, but I am having trouble figuring out if that ferry from Slussen to Djurgarden is the ferry that's included with the Stockholm Card?

I know the ferry from Djurgarden to Nybroplan is (I used it last time I was in Stockholm with the Stockholm card).

If the ferry is included with the card, should I take the ferry to Djurgarden rather than bus 76? Does the ferry run regularly? Does it drop off at Djurgarden on the other end away from Vasa, closer to where Skansen is?

Ok, I did further research. Looks like Slussen-Djurgarden ferry is not valid with the Stockholm Card, as per the website

Waxholmsbolaget’s Djurgården ferries serve the Stockholm inner harbour route Slussen-Skeppsholmen-Allmänna gränd (Djurgården). With frequent service from early morning to late at night we transport approximately 2.5 million passengers a year.

"Since the Djurgården ferry is part of the city’s collective traffic network you can use both Waxholmsbolaget’s season tickets as well as SL’s season tickets on board. SL’s single tickets, rebate coupons and Stockholm card/Stockholm à la carte are not valid"

So, I will have to take the bus from Londonviadukten, change at Slussen and take bus 76in the direction of Ropsten to Djurgardsbron, cross the bridge and arrive at Vasa.

Vasa opens at 8:30, my ship docks at 8:30. If I can get off right away, and get on the bus and change, and get on bus 76, I am hoping to be at Vasa just after 9:00 am. Hopefully there won't be too long, if any, of a queue yet!

Ok, I did further research. Looks like Slussen-Djurgarden ferry is not valid with the Stockholm Card, as per the website

Waxholmsbolaget’s Djurgården ferries serve the Stockholm inner harbour route Slussen-Skeppsholmen-Allmänna gränd (Djurgården). With frequent service from early morning to late at night we transport approximately 2.5 million passengers a year.

"Since the Djurgården ferry is part of the city’s collective traffic network you can use both Waxholmsbolaget’s season tickets as well as SL’s season tickets on board. SL’s single tickets, rebate coupons and Stockholm card/Stockholm à la carte are not valid"

So, I will have to take the bus from Londonviadukten, change at Slussen and take bus 76in the direction of Ropsten to Djurgardsbron, cross the bridge and arrive at Vasa.

Vasa opens at 8:30, my ship docks at 8:30. If I can get off right away, and get on the bus and change, and get on bus 76, I am hoping to be at Vasa just after 9:00 am. Hopefully there won't be too long, if any, of a queue yet!

Looks like you have all your "duckys" in a row... :)

Have a great time.

Al

• 4 weeks later...

Al, north-bound and Desdichado ---

Thank you sooooo much for your help in pointing me towards how to get to Londonviadukten!

I was in Stockholm last week, followed your advice and found it without any problems! I even used the short cut up the nice stairs through the wooded area behind the parking lot.

Taking the bus from Londonviadukten to Slussen, I saw how much time I saved from having to walk all the way to Slussen. Not sure why anyone would want to walk to Slussen to catch the bus when Londonviadukten is right there!

Besides, my feet thank you too. After all the walking I did in Stockholm, the distance I saved from having walk out to Slussen was invaluable!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Al, north-bound and Desdichado ---

Thank you sooooo much for your help in pointing me towards how to get to Londonviadukten!

I was in Stockholm last week, followed your advice and found it without any problems! I even used the short cut up the nice stairs through the wooded area behind the parking lot.

Taking the bus from Londonviadukten to Slussen, I saw how much time I saved from having to walk all the way to Slussen. Not sure why anyone would want to walk to Slussen to catch the bus when Londonviadukten is right there!

Besides, my feet thank you too. After all the walking I did in Stockholm, the distance I saved from having walk out to Slussen was invaluable!

Thanks again for all of your help!

That's great! And thanks for checking back in and letting us know. I'm sure a lot of others will be using that shortcut. So where did you buy your bus ticket?

Glad you (and your feet) enjoyed Stockholm.

Al

That's great! And thanks for checking back in and letting us know. I'm sure a lot of others will be using that shortcut. So where did you buy your bus ticket?

Glad you (and your feet) enjoyed Stockholm.

Al

I had actually purchased the Stockholm card in advance, so I was able to use that for the bus without having to worry about where to buy a bus ticket!

But that really is a terrific shortcut and makes traveling into the city so much easier.

From the time we got off the ship, until we got to Vasa, it was less than 30 minutes!

Archived