ripe tomatoes and fresh local food

m steve

I wish that the ships would contract to buy fresh products at the various ports. While crusing last fall in Mexico we had almost white tomatoes at every meal while at home we were able to buy ripe tomatoes from Mexico. Same for fruit-pineapple, mangos, papaya.

When cruising Alaska no fresh Halibut or Salmon though available. I'm sure that is the story everywhere but it doesn't make sense. If they make advance arrangements they should be able to guarantee adequate supplies. Why buy the same stuff in Miami frozen or unripe from the same sources and hope that they will be ready to serve 5-10 days later?:mad:

I wish that the ships would contract to buy fresh products at the various ports. While crusing last fall in Mexico we had almost white tomatoes at every meal while at home we were able to buy ripe tomatoes from Mexico. Same for fruit-pineapple, mangos, papaya.

When cruising Alaska no fresh Halibut or Salmon though available. I'm sure that is the story everywhere but it doesn't make sense. If they make advance arrangements they should be able to guarantee adequate supplies. Why buy the same stuff in Miami frozen or unripe from the same sources and hope that they will be ready to serve 5-10 days later?:mad:

The news is encouraging here on Maui. The Pride

of Aloha will be contracting with local produce

suppliers for island-grown tomatoes and other

items. Maui grows some really great tomatoes,

lettuce, etc. (wish we could afford them).

The plans, as I understand them, are that

POA will be based here in Maui, starting

October. For now, they are home porting in Oahu.

I agree about Alaska. We took the Matanuska

(not a cruise ship, but very enjoyable) through

the inside passage, and had great local fish

and produce onboard.

If you start from Honolulu and end there cruising the islands it is logical that the food will come from there. I'm more concerned about mainland starting points going to Caribbean or Alaska not utilizing the famous local produce or fish.

I think part of the problem is being able to supply quantity and insuring quality.

If you ever watch the food challen and see how much food a ship like the Vouager goes through in a week - RCCL contracts for Tons and Tons of produce - a local grower in say Porto Limon could never supply that quantity consistently, I would agree that local grown may be superior but not sure I'd want to chance buying produce say in Mexico that may give Montezuma a chance for revenge

Archived