baggage storage in Rome Termini

champmason

Has anyone used the baggage storage in the Rome Termini? We are a group of 4 budget minded adults that will be taking the train back from the port in mid November. We have arrangements made at an airport hotel for the evening before our early morning flight the next day. We would like to store our luggage and then tour the Vatican museum and St Peter's in the late morning before taking the express train to airport. I understand that this will take extra time getting off and on the train to get to the Vatican area. If I would have planned differently I would of booked a room in Rome and then gotten a transfer to airport in morning. Our rooms are not able to be canceled without losing our full charge. I was just too anxious to get everything booked. My mistake. Any other suggestions to make our day run smoothly?

Our ship docks early early am so we hope to get a train before 9:00 am. What time would it be expected to be at the Vatican for purchasing the tickets ahead of time.

Thanks for all suggestions.

I've used the left luggage office at Termini several times, it's easy to do. The biggest problem is that there can sometimes be a 15 - 30 minute wait to pick up your bags, but if you don't have a specific train to catch that won't be an issue for you.

The fees for left luggage at Termini are:

5,00 € the first 5 hours

0,70 € /hour from 6th to 12th hour

0,30 € /hour from 13th hour on

You can see the hours and where the office is here: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5dc9fb73699fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

After dropping your bags, if you are headed to the Vatican Museums it's closer and faster to take the Metro, Line A, direction Battistini, for six stops to Ottaviano/San Pietro.

Also, don't wait to purchase your tickets when you get there; the lines are often very long. Purchase them in advance directly through the Vatican website.

You do have to select a time, so try to work through how long it will take you to exit the ship and claim your luggage, get to the train station (using port shuttle and walking, maybe 30 minutes to be on the safe side), take the train to Rome (80 minutes, plus or minus, on a regional train), check your luggage (??), travel by metro to ottaviano (20-30 minutes depending on timing), and then walk to the Vatican ticket office (probably another 15 minutes).

Archived