Are the NCL buffets really as dirty and crowded as people claim?

Joe7cri

Dirty? Never!! Crowded? If you get there once everyone is up and looking for food, definitely. On those days we learned to take our food out by the pool. Makes a big difference. But honestly, we liked breakfast at the buffet MUCH better than breakfast at the main dining room.

On the Jewel's buffet, you could also carry your food a few extra feet into Mama's Italian Kitchen during breakfast and lunch. It's an attractive space with far more comfortable chairs than found in either the buffet or the Great Outdoors seating. Unfortunately, Mama's has no sea views, but I often had the place pretty much to myself.

Thanks for the replies! Kind of what I thought at first, but then I started to picture a large room with flies and food all over the place, lol.

OMG never! The buffets are clean and finding a seat really isn't usually a problem. On most ships they have seating for buffet diners in adjacent venues like the sports bar on the Sun or the Italian restaurant on the Epic. Plus there are plenty of tables outsider. The staff in the buffet is very motivated to clean up dirty tables.

Crowded occasionally although we have never had difficulty finding a seat. I've never seen anything dirty. In fact on our Star sailing we preferred to eat in the Buffet rather than Cagney's for breakfast because the waffles were way hotter.

We have never found them dirty at all, the plates are whisked away as soon as you are finished or leave the table.

Some passengers on the other hand,--- walking by the hand sanitizers, or just saying "no thank you" to the washy washy person. How dirty is that?

I agree with everyone else, the buffet is not dirty at all. If you find it crowded you can always go to the buffet in the Great Outdoors, which is a mini version of the main buffet. Likewise if there is no seating, besides the Italian restaurant, you can also go out and sit in the Great Outdoors.

This is one our favorite outdoor public spaces on the ships that have them. It offers wonderful views, is seldom crowded, it is partially undercover in case of rain.

The GO is the BEST. You can sail right by the crowds and get food really quickly. Don't know why people clog up right in the doorways when you could easily walk through and be eating in no time. Also if there are no inside seats there's usually an open restaurant right next to the buffet for overflow seating. On the Sun we ate in the Sports Bar next to the buffet often.

I have never found the buffet to be dirty, although I have found it crowded. In fact, the employees are so eager to clean they will whisk away your plate or fork, etc, before you have finished swallowing...

On Epic last summer, I was having a late breakfast alone. Got up to get a cup of coffee and another pastry...it took an extra minute because I went to a different station. When I came back, my empty plate was cleared, another party was seated, and my shoulder bag was already on its way down to Guest Services!

When the buffet was exceptionally busy on POA we took our plates into the lounge/bar next door (Gold Rush Saloon, I think) and ate in there where it was nice and quiet. No one gave us any grief over this and it was much more pleasant of a buffet experience (DH doesn't care for them in the first place).

We have always fround the NCL buffets well stocked with nice selections, kept clean and staffed with excellent staff...

Crowded...yes..at times...but the new "station" concept makes it so much easier to grab a bite...without lines...

While we usually eat in the dinning rooms....we love the idea of using the buffet to sample items we never had, grab dessert or snack in between meals...

When I was on the Dawn a few months ago I don't recall ever standing in line for very long for any meal anywhere. The buffet had many stations, if one had a line, I went to another one. I also did not eat at the normal meal times.

All in all it was a good experience. I did have to look for a seat a few times but, like many others have said, I just went out by the pool or found another place, no big deal.

On Epic last summer, I was having a late breakfast alone. Got up to get a cup of coffee and another pastry...it took an extra minute because I went to a different station. When I came back, my empty plate was cleared, another party was seated, and my shoulder bag was already on its way down to Guest Services!

I eat in the buffet by myself for breakfast and lunch because hubby prefers MDR so eats there with others. I carry a cardboard with me that says in large print I AM STILL EATING. I put it on top of my book on top of the table at my place when I go to get more food.

So far that has solved the problem.

I wouldnt say the buffets are dirty,but some of the habits of the guests leave a lot to be desired,like the lady I saw licking a spoodle in a vat of porridge and put it back in the pot, like those who walk straight past the washy washy and sanitising pods.

And.... so well stated. The real problem is the few fellow passengers that have no regard for other people. Step back sometime and just watch what some passengers do while in a buffet line, especially when they do not think anyone is watching. Too bad "GERMS" are invisable. Well, maybe it is a good thing we can't see what we really should be concerned about.

Short answer is no and no.

It can get busy during breakfast and lunch on sea days I suppose, but "dirty" isn't a word that comes to mind when I think of the buffet, at any times, at all.

These questions are somewhat naive and tends to show that someone is listening to disgruntled critics who are nasty no matter. The NCL buffets are extremely clean and sanitation is taken to irritating levels with washy washy's.

The stations are on both sides and repeated in the middle areas as well.

On a recent cruise with over 45400 passengers on the Epic and one on the Spirit with 2500 passengeas, I never waited once. Never!:eek: I went in after getting washy, washied several times(I really hate this but its for the safety of all of us)I walked around both sides and the middle, figured out what was up and what looked good. Decided and chose a spot and hopped in and got my food. Ther is no line per se, you don't walk in and get in a line and move like cattle. It is called a station cafe as opposed to a buffet, because you move to where you want.

DO NOT LISTEN TO NAYSAYERS, Their miserable! We do not appreciate their negativity.

Kev:cool:

These questions are somewhat naive and tends to show that someone is listening to disgruntled critics who are nasty no matter. The NCL buffets are extremely clean and sanitation is taken to irritating levels with washy washy's.

The stations are on both sides and repeated in the middle areas as well.

On a recent cruise with over 45400 passengers on the Epic and one on the Spirit with 2500 passengeas, I never waited once. Never!:eek: I went in after getting washy, washied several times(I really hate this but its for the safety of all of us)I walked around both sides and the middle, figured out what was up and what looked good. Decided and chose a spot and hopped in and got my food. Ther is no line per se, you don't walk in and get in a line and move like cattle. It is called a station cafe as opposed to a buffet, because you move to where you want.

DO NOT LISTEN TO NAYSAYERS, Their miserable! We do not appreciate their negativity.

How Many? I know what you meant.

Recently took a galley tour on the Star and I can tell you that galley was spotless!

Nice to hear. I agree that the Galleys are amazingly clean. Do you have any thoughts regarding the Buffets? ( the topic being discussed).

How Many? I know what you meant.

Sorry, It was 50,000, OMG that ship is huge:DLOL:rolleyes:

And my apologies to the OP, This question is not naive, nor un worthy, It is just irritating to hear quotes of such negativity from people who are generally just negative who give advice to the OP.

Just got off the Jewel with 2800 people on board. The buffet seating was crowded at most times (had to go towards the back of the ship near Great Outdoors to find a seat most of the time), but there were no lines for food, the selections were great, and the area was FAR from dirty. As stated by others, the attendants whisk away plates and clear the tables VERY quickly. Nothing will sit more than a minute.

Just got off the Star this morning I did not feel the buffet or the surrounding area was dirty at anytime! The buffet could get crowd at random times. There was never a wait at the grill. Anytime you isolate 2000 in one area you are sure to get short lines from time to time.

Just off jade in the med, and whilst the buffet was busy, it is peak Uk school holiday time so we expected this! it was never dirty, plenty of choices and all staff work incredibly hard to help and assist, and I love the washy washy ladies on board this ship they are very very funny I asked her how she stays so cheerful and she pretended to sniff the bottle and said Wasy washy! in a high pitched tone hilarious! especially as she did it every time she saw me from then on, gave us all a laugh:)

Just off jade in the med, and whilst the buffet was busy, it is peak Uk school holiday time so we expected this! it was never dirty, plenty of choices and all staff work incredibly hard to help and assist, and I love the washy washy ladies on board this ship they are very very funny I asked her how she stays so cheerful and she pretended to sniff the bottle and said Wasy washy! in a high pitched tone hilarious! especially as she did it every time she saw me from then on, gave us all a laugh:)

Aren't they cute, and if they don't make you smile every time you see them....then you have a problem. And.....for those folks that complain about that washy washy stuff being too silly, insulting to the complainers' sense of dignity....well...they need to get a life. Or else...maybe...I just need to grow up...........Nope....that's not it...........

Archived