Secrets to booking a 7-adult 3-child group on an Alaska cruise?

In Retirement

Have extensive experience just the two of us cruising Baltics, Mediterranean, Alaska and Caribbean, but want to take children and their families on a roundtrip Seattle week in 2013. Thought to bite the very big bullet to obtain the large balcony with a suite. What are my options and are there any little-known options to save even a little money, yet put all cabins close together?

Much thanks for any advice,

DJ:)

Hehehe my parents (retired) happen to be taking our family (6 adults and 3 children) on an Alaska cruise out of Seattle soon. We're doing regular ocean view cabins but everything else looks the same between your trip and ours. I don't think I have much to offer by the way of secrets. But I'll post after our trip if there are any tips to pass along.

One thing to know about a full suite is that if fares go down, suite prices rarely do. Instead of a suite, most people book a balcony and an inside cabin opposite for the kids, but that depends on the age of the kids. You can book mini-suites (make sure they can be booked with a 3rd and/or 4th person) if the children are younger. The fare for a 3rd or 4th person in a cabin isn't usually much of a savings over the fare for an inside. How you book it or suggestions on how to book really depends on the ages of the kids.

We have teenagers and book a balcony for us and an inside room across the hall for them but with younger kids and multiple families, I would save money on the suite and instead purchase 3 balcony rooms attached to each other. That way you can open the doors between your cabins from the balconies. It will cost more to pick the cabins together vs. booking guaranteed pricing but its worth it to have the balconies attached.

Following our great pricing experience in 2009 on Ruby Princess Barcelona/Venice when we were able to take advantage of two price reductions on our balcony to a 50% savings, haven't had much luck on any price reductions.

To provide further information each of two married children, one with a 4 year-old, one with a 6 year-old and a 12 year-old, the two of us and my sister-in law. We expect to be "close" (unlike my planning for a spring break week in Orlando where I see I can rent a large house!), but expect to bite the bullet for some space. Anyone have experience selecting cabins for such a large group? I see that inside cabins seem to have the additional pull-down beds, but don't see such cabins near balcony or suites. I do see some indication that pricing is significantly less for 3rd and 4th in the same cabin. Guess I should be calling Princess and our regular TA (USAA). Any other suggestions?

Much thanks,

DJ:)

Archived