Flam railway

Hi just back from Fire and Ice on Thompson Spirit. What a fantastic time we had. If anyone is thinking of doing the Flam railway don't pay to do an excursion we paid 900 kronar for 2 adults and 2 children which is about £90 saving so much money. :):):)

Yes thats fine, but you only get to see the Myrdal to Flam line.

The full day excursions takes in waterfalls - two very spectacular ones and a coach journey into the valley to Voss for lunch, then a 50min train journey on the main Oslo to Bergen line to Myrdal, again a very scenic journey, to join the Flam Railway. I accept the day is not cheap, but we are unlikely to go again and wanted to see everything possible with a knowledgable guide to keep us informed of what we could expect to see.

I suppose its everyone to their own choice, but I can recommend the organised trip.

We did the organised excursion a few years back and although it seemed expensive beforehand, the whole experience turned ouit to be pretty good value for money. We would never have seen aso much of the interior otherwise and certainly could never have afforded the provided meal!

Yes thats fine, but you only get to see the Myrdal to Flam line.

The full day excursions takes in waterfalls - two very spectacular ones and a coach journey into the valley to Voss for lunch, then a 50min train journey on the main Oslo to Bergen line to Myrdal, again a very scenic journey, to join the Flam Railway. I accept the day is not cheap, but we are unlikely to go again and wanted to see everything possible with a knowledgable guide to keep us informed of what we could expect to see.

I suppose its everyone to their own choice, but I can recommend the organised trip.

I'll second that. Never had such a fabulous lunch.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've just pre-booked this excursion as I'm travelling solo and don't want to go off in strange countries on my own. I fear of getting lost and missing the ship!! Would much rather pay the extra and get the full deal!

I'll second that. Never had such a fabulous lunch.

I enjoyed that lunch too. Luckily it was before the coach journey where the guide delighted in telling us about the local customs. I especially liked the picked sheeps head eating contest. :eek::D

Just completed the Fire & Ice cruise and did the full day excursion. It is expensive but like the others I thought it was worthwhile. The lunch was excellent.

If you have time prebook the excursion online to ensure you have a place. Tickets will be in your cabin on the first day. "A" tickets are railway up to Myrdal and coach back whilst "B" tickets are the coach out and train back. Depends which way you want to view the scenery.

• 3 months later...
Hi just back from Fire and Ice on Thompson Spirit. What a fantastic time we had. If anyone is thinking of doing the Flam railway don't pay to do an excursion we paid 900 kronar for 2 adults and 2 children which is about £90 saving so much money. :):):)

I agree, very easy to do on your own.

Lunch is part of the excursion deal, buffet meal- I feel sure there was vegetarian items on offer - excellent lunch and drinks included.

On my previous thread I pointed out what you get when doing the organized trip really worth the extra cost, what you see is really spectacular.

Archived