Afternoon snack at Le Grill

markser

I read on a thread from about two years ago that at 2:30 pm Le Grill opened to serve a limited menu of "snacks" like burgers and salads. Can recent cruisers tell me if this is still an option? It would be handy after an excursion.

It's nice to know about the snack menu. My girlfriend will love the portobello and brie sandwich.

The snack time at Le Gill is not mentioned at all on PG's web site. This is just one more bit of evidence that it really pays to go through these threads.

When we first went on the PG my DD made up her own menu and they would very kindly prepare fresh crepes for her in the afternoon as well as send her coconut icecream.

Even now I have a standing order of almond croissants each morning, fried breadfruit a couple of days and when she is on board fresh crepes for breakfast. The crepes are made french style so quite delish!

I had the best soup during The afternoon snack time when I was on the ship 7/21-7/28. It was a brothy lemongrass soup with nice sized shrimp in it and it was very well seasoned. That was one of the best dishes I had on ship.

Yes, afternoon snacks at Le Grill and room service are both available if you should happen to miss lunch. However, the morning excursions will generally have you back by 12:30 or 1 pm, so you should be able to make lunch at La Veranda or Le Grill when you return.

While all of the meals on board (from the breakfast/lunch buffets to the sit-down dinners) were outstanding, I wasn't as impressed with the light menu available at Le Grill. (We tried it one day.) I'm a vegetarian, and I really didn't care for the portobello and brie sandwich - the cheese was kind of crumbly (didn't seem like brie), and the roll was a bit hard on the outside/soggy on the inside. They had a yummy-sounding wrap sandwich that had chicken and beans served with guacamole and salsa; I asked if I could get that sandwich without the chicken, but they said it was already pre-made with the chicken in it. Maybe that's why the snacks weren't as good as the other meals - they're probably just pre-made items the staff can quickly heat up. (That said, my husband was perfectly happy with his burger and fries.) We caught the afternoon tea after the light snack service that day; since I didn't eat my sandwich, I tried a vegetarian finger sandwich - but the bottom layer of bread was completely damp and fell apart when I picked it up. However, the desserts were really good, and I think that's really what most people attend the tea for, anyway.

Anyway, that was just my experience. When possible, I'd try to make the regular lunch service - lots of great salad items, and a changing menu of main dishes (Greek one day, Indian/Asian another, Italian the next), plus fresh-tossed pasta most days. The meals and service are outstanding; definitely among the best I've ever had on a cruise!

we found that after about 3pm (or whenever the grill closed for snacks that day) you were stuck and had to get room service as there was nothing else open if you didn't want afternoon tea 4-5pm (which was all sweet things like scones, cookies, cakes, ice-cream, no fruit at all at afternoon tea).

This was a bit annoying as I was with a large group so we had to all go sit in our rooms alone to get a burger or whatever instead of all being out together on deck by the pool. This only really was an issue when we were in port as all our excursions seemed to go to about 2:30pm and we missed lunch and just wanted a salad or sandwich before a late dinner... My suggestion to PG was to have le grill or somewhere else just have a really basic snack menu throughout the afternoon (or even during tea time) as even if we asked for burger the response was to go to the room for room service. All other cruise lines we have been on (a fair few lines) have a pool grill open all day with a limited menu. If they didn't want to do that, at least have "room service" deliver to the pool deck! Just felt anti-social to have to sit in the room for us. :)

Archived