Belize February 2013 - excursions

philv

I'm checking out Princess excursions for our next cruise. New port for us so I want to stick with a Princess excursion. I'm looking at the Lamanai Mayan ruins, mangrove river cruise and lunch versus the Altun Ha Mayan ruins, scenic river cruise and lunch. Has anyone done one of these tours reccently? Can anyone recommend one over the other? :confused:

This will likely get moved to the "Ports" section of the board, but in the meantime....

We did the Lamanai excursion in April and it was the absolute highlight of our Western itinereary. Great narrated bus ride that provides cultural and historical information and perspective. Really fun boat ride. (This ain't the African Queen. The boats go very fast. Hang on to your hats, literally). And the Mayan site was fascinating. Climbing to the top of a Mayan pyramid is now crossed off of my bucket list. It is a full day, and one that you will never forget.

I did the Lamanai tour with Princess last February. We loved it. The day is long, but I was prepared for that. The bus was comfortable, the guide we had was wonderful and the river ride was very neat. I am more of a snorkel and beach type of person, but we decided to do the "ruins" and historical thing for a change. The lunch was a little rushed, but it was a great day. I felt we really got to see how some in Belize live since we drove so far. While I normally book excursions privately, I totally stress the importance of going with Princess with this one due to the distances traveled.

• 2 months later...
I did the Lamanai tour with Princess last February. We loved it. The day is long, but I was prepared for that. The bus was comfortable, the guide we had was wonderful and the river ride was very neat. I am more of a snorkel and beach type of person, but we decided to do the "ruins" and historical thing for a change. The lunch was a little rushed, but it was a great day. I felt we really got to see how some in Belize live since we drove so far. While I normally book excursions privately, I totally stress the importance of going with Princess with this one due to the distances traveled.

Thinking of doing this tour with Princess, but have had bad experience with Princess run tours in the past. How crowded was your group? Were you able to climb the temples if you wanted to? Were the boats packed with people?

• 2 years later...

can you tell me if this excursion is possible for a person with limited walking ability? My sister in law has MS and tires easily. She can walk but has to rest often. Are there opportunities for rest or to opt out of part of the tour?

can you tell me if this excursion is possible for a person with limited walking ability? My sister in law has MS and tires easily. She can walk but has to rest often. Are there opportunities for rest or to opt out of part of the tour?

It is a very fatiguing excursion. It would be extremely difficult for someone within limitations such as you describe. The walk through the jungle is over rough uneven unpaved ground. It was very warm and humid when we were there which can make the experience very uncomfortable.

When we went, there was a 80 something year old woman with a walker. She didn't go very fast, and she didn't climb the pyramids, but she did make it..

There are times to rest when people are scurrying about taking pictures, and climbing. It would be a long day for her.. but dont count her out