Plus Size Dresses

rlkubi

I am a plus size woman size 18W and not happy with myself at this point :(. Menopause has not been good for me! We have three cruises booked and one in 6 weeks. I'm having a hard time finding dresses for formal night. Where do you guys shop? Also for swimsuits? It's very depressing.

AlwaysforMe.com has a line called "Chic Prints" which is the absolutely most flattering swimsuit for my size, (16W), that I've found. And I've looked, a lot. I'm in the same boat, pre-menopause size 10, post-menopause now 16W. :( You might visit UllaPopken.com for 'fancier' tops and dresses. I also shop quite a lot at Chicos. I find the black travelers pants paired with a glittery top and jacket is perfect for dress up evenings.

I also discovered that no matter what you have, it looks better tanned! I always tan before my cruises.

Have fun.

For bathing suits, I have the best of luck at swimsuitsforall.com. They are very reasonable and will take them back if not satisfied. I'm long waisted and have the worst time with suits, so they have been a Godsend! :)

I find most of my formals at Lord and Taylor, Nordstrom (Rack), JCP, and Dressbarn. I also get clothing from Avenue, Talbots and Lane Bryant. We have two cruises booked for next year so I hit up the clearance racks (especially at Lord and Taylor where I have gotten some SPECTACULAR buys!:D) at the end of season. At the moment, I'm a 20W (trying to diet, down from a 24W) and find 18W seems to be plentiful the places I go.

I know for myself, I'm just going to go with basic black palazzos with a sparkly/satiny shirt or my black cocktail dress topped with a strand of simple pearls. The dresses seem to go out of fashion too quick. This lightens my luggage and best of all, I won't have to worry about wrinkles after it's packed, or have anymore meltdowns looking for that perfect dress! I know everyone's different and may not feel this way, but I'm done having meltdowns in stores because I can't find what I would like, yet I see it on a rack for a smaller woman...and usually the dress would be easily reproduced (and would look GREAT on those of us who are fluffy!) for us fluffy chicks! I'm in love with one of the tops I just purchased for the last cruise at JCP, so much so that if I lose anymore weight, I plan to have it altered.

For all of you women of size, don't forget to look at Jjill. If you are a "athletic" larger woman (you have definition and are on the smaller size of overweight), look also at Athleta. Jjill offers many of their styles in 1x-4x and Athleta has some of their offerings in 1x-2x.

I am also your size and buy mine at Dressbarn (we have an outlet nearby) and JCP. I think Dressbarn is my fav because they have cute styles and are reasonably priced. I found my latest dress there for only $35 and it is a tank style with rhinestones with a matching jacket. I loved it on our last cruise.

Hey, I was just there this past weekend! Love Dressbarn! Got the greatest formal black top there several years ago that I can wear with a black skirt or nice black pants. I've worn that top on several cruises, I'll never get tired of it. Just be careful not to get anything with sparkles on it! Shed shed shed, oy.

I'm not a fan of shopping online - I need to try things on to make sure there's enough room in the behind. Some clothes are made for big tummies/small butts, which doesn't work for me.

I would have to agree with another poster...swimsuitsforall is the best!! They have a facebook page as well. There you could win gift cards that can be used towards your purchase. They also have a ton of monthly sales going.

I'm sorry that you find it depressing to look for formals and swimwear. My late spouse was an 18W. Know that you are cherished for who you are. I would give anything to see her in a formal or bathing suit again. That you are who you are is most important. When I see plus size ladies dressing nicely I recall the wonderful life that we shared and the spectacular woman that she was. Because of this, I, for one. would be happy to see you in any of those outfits that you are looking for. You may find it depressing, but for some of us, you are a gift providing beautiful memories. Thank you, Jerry

Jerry, you are so sweet! My husband says the same thing! You actually have me sitting at my desk with tears running down my face. I'm so sorry for your loss. You have made me rethink things. I may not be a skinny little thing but I have a fantastic life and a wonderful husband.

Thank you for your kindness! Have a wonderful day!

I'm sorry that you find it depressing to look for formals and swimwear. My late spouse was an 18W. Know that you are cherished for who you are. I would give anything to see her in a formal or bathing suit again. That you are who you are is most important. When I see plus size ladies dressing nicely I recall the wonderful life that we shared and the spectacular woman that she was. Because of this, I, for one. would be happy to see you in any of those outfits that you are looking for. You may find it depressing, but for some of us, you are a gift providing beautiful memories. Thank you, Jerry

That is very sweet Jerry.

:) Jerry that is so sweet! I really wish the rest of society was as kind as you are because I've heard my share of names over the years:o. I'm blessed with a wonderful husband who reminds me that he thinks I'm beautiful and you sound very much like he does...your wife was a lucky girl and I'm sure you were a blessing in her life! Thanks so much for your kind words!

Jerry, you are so sweet! My husband says the same thing! You actually have me sitting at my desk with tears running down my face. I'm so sorry for your loss. You have made me rethink things. I may not be a skinny little thing but I have a fantastic life and a wonderful husband.

Thank you for your kindness! Have a wonderful day!

Rikubi,

I am happy if I made your day a little better. I lost my wife 12 years ago and of course I think of her often. I was 48 then and it was quite a shock. I have since remarried and have been given the gift of another wonderful spouse. I cherish both relationships beyond all others and I am so grateful for the gifts we are given. Enjoy your upcoming cruises and more importantly enjoy your lucky husband! Jerry

Archived