Oasis/Allure ports change

For me, it would be a bigger draw. I haven't been to either place, but I have been to every port on the Western/Eastern itineraries multiple times to the point of boredom with them.

I'm with you, except for the fact I have been to Costa Maya. As for Costa Maya, glad I went but no need to go back. I'd love to see St Kitts, it will be a few years before I get to the southern itinerary as I had to change jobs in 2007 and I have to build vacation time up all over again.

I don't think so. Labadee is on the northwest coast of Haiti. The only time Labadee seems to make eastern itineraries is on the 8 nighters.

My first cruise was a 7 day Eastern - Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan, and Labadee so it can be done. It seems though the last few years with high fuel prices they want to go slower and have one less port stop on many intineraries. I would love to go back to Labadee, but I'm as burnt out on Cozumel as I am Nassau (well almost) and Fallmouth isn't interesting me much yet.

AMEN!! Although I do enjoy St Marteen, I am really sick & tired of the same places or the 7 day cruises. IMO, I'd rather do Coco Cay than Nassau. Why don't they build a dock like they did in Labadee? In the beginning, you used to have to tender into Labadee (I'm talking 8+ yrs ago).

Just FYI, I think they started building Labadee's dock in mid 2008, Barefoot beach was closed when I was there in late April 2008 because of dock construction supplies.

Not sure but there are likely some very valid reasons, perhaps the same reasons that a dock hasn't been built at Grand Cayman. The ecology of the region may be threatened by such construction, or it could be that the agreement signed between RCCL and the government of the Bahamas doesn't permit it. If it were just a matter of building a dock there, it probably would have been done long ago.

All good assumptions, though it could just be economic. Perhaps is a good question for one of the Ask the Captain things they do on Oasis or Allure. Also, I believe I remember this class of ship has to follow a very tight route into Nassau because of the depth of its keel, maybe the ship can't get that close? I'm planning on asking about future ports for those ships when I cruise, but that is 8 months out.

My first cruise was a 7 day Eastern - Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan, and Labadee so it can be done. It seems though the last few years with high fuel prices they want to go slower and have one less port stop on many intineraries. I would love to go back to Labadee, but I'm as burnt out on Cozumel as I am Nassau (well almost) and Fallmouth isn't interesting me much yet.

Labadee is doable on the route you mentioned as San Juan and Nassau are usually shorter port stays. I agree with you on Falmouth. If you are really interested in getting back to Labadee and prefer to do the eastern sailings, have you considered Independence and its 8 night itinerary? My favorites are still the southern routes but Independence manages to put together a great ship with a really nice itinerary.

We avoid the same 'ol same 'ol, and the larger ships whenever possible.

St. Kitts is one of our favorite places - so I would put any ship that does it high on the consideration list when it was time to book another cruise. Same with Costa Maya. Right now, the big ones don't even make it into consideration. But I will still take Cozumel. ;)

Even better - hit some of the real goodies along with St. Kitts: do Curacao, St. Vincent, Grenada, Bonaire, and Aruba, and I would have to be dragged off kicking and screaming. Even better - do it FROM FLORIDA!

Wendy

This is exactly what we are doing on Vision of the Seas in January.:)

Labadee is doable on the route you mentioned as San Juan and Nassau are usually shorter port stays. I agree with you on Falmouth. If you are really interested in getting back to Labadee and prefer to do the eastern sailings, have you considered Independence and its 8 night itinerary? My favorites are still the southern routes but Independence manages to put together a great ship with a really nice itinerary.

I might be able to next year as I get that 3rd week of vacation. 8 days haven't been a possability for me up until then.

I started this same thread a while ago and someone mentioned the possability of the port of Ponce in Puerto Rico. Its on the south side of the island. I was thre 20 years ago visiting the Wrigley's plant, but I don't remember much about the area.

For what its worth

http://www.portoftheamericas.com/

don't want to thread jack here, but is there a thread discussing Ponce?

We were there on vacation when a HAL ship docked- an experiment. Would love to discuss the area.

don't want to thread jack here, but is there a thread discussing Ponce?

We were there on vacation when a HAL ship docked- an experiment. Would love to discuss the area.

You can start one. I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Like others have said, it is the ship that is the destination. People aren't cruising them to see the ports. I don't think that will ever change, so a different itinerary would be a waste.

Its exactly why we are 99% sure we are switching to a different cruise next year. We've see the class and the ports. It's time for something new. :)

Archived