Argentina at it again!

OldJerseycruiser

Try this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9448360/British-ships-banned-from-docking-in-Buenos-Aires.html

and if that fails cut and paste this:

---www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9448360/British-ships-banned-from-docking-in-Buenos-Aires.html---

This may cause a re-flagging on the cruise lines part... they want business at the end of the day, and if passengers want to go to Argentina they will reflag to be able to go there... which will be VERY sad, I do hope they fight this off... it's Argentina's loss.

The fact that Princess runs a heavy season in South America, and their flags fly the Red Ensign, I can sense that they might re-flag the vessels.

I've not been to South America. but P&O officers told me that when Argentina was dropped and new ports, such as Chillean ones, added, everyone preferred them so they may just drop Argentina altogether.

This may cause a re-flagging on the cruise lines part... they want business at the end of the day, and if passengers want to go to Argentina they will reflag to be able to go there... which will be VERY sad, I do hope they fight this off... it's Argentina's loss.

The fact that Princess runs a heavy season in South America, and their flags fly the Red Ensign, I can sense that they might re-flag the vessels.

In principle, if nothing else, I don't see cruise lines being impressed by such bullying tactics such as these.

• 3 weeks later...

Typical. I've just booked a 50 night Buenos Aires to Southampton on Adonia next February. It's going to be fun flying into Buenos Aires only to find that Adonia has not been allowed to dock!

Hope they manage to get things sorted out as it was a Getaway fare and I've paid in full.

Considering that Adonia suffered similar problems in February I hope P&O are organised and have a plan B.

On a related point - does anyone know if the Buenos Aires to Southampton trip will involve any sectors (have to settle bill at end of each sector)? P&O seem to think that this information is too sensitive to release before I board the ship.

Thanks in advance.

BigAl51

• 3 weeks later...
Typical. I've just booked a 50 night Buenos Aires to Southampton on Adonia next February. It's going to be fun flying into Buenos Aires only to find that Adonia has not been allowed to dock!

Hope they manage to get things sorted out as it was a Getaway fare and I've paid in full.

Considering that Adonia suffered similar problems in February I hope P&O are organised and have a plan B.

On a related point - does anyone know if the Buenos Aires to Southampton trip will involve any sectors (have to settle bill at end of each sector)? P&O seem to think that this information is too sensitive to release before I board the ship.

Thanks in advance.

BigAl51

Hi BigAl51

I am now on the same cruise as you!

I found this link on cruise ships being allowed to dock in Argentina...

Linda

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/buenos-aires-province-devises-own-falklands-ship-ban-224311982.html dated Aug 2 2012

The bill approved by provincial lawmakers in Buenos Aires, the country's most populous district, is aimed at keeping ships from obtaining supplies or raw materials in Argentina that could be used in energy exploration or the fishing industry off the Falklands.

"The law prohibits any ship with a U.K. flag or other flag of convenience that comes to the area of the Malvinas to explore or exploit natural resources from mooring, anchoring or getting logistical help," said the bill's sponsor, Patricia Cubria.

The broadly backed bill must be signed into law by Gov. Daniel Scioli, a member of the ruling Peronist party. Other Argentine provinces with Atlantic Ocean ports have taken similar steps.

Cubria said the measure would not affect cruise ships or other vessels used for tourism

Thanks for that Linda. Hope you're right as we are looking forward to visiting Tierra del Fuego.

February seems a long way away at the moment!

Have you sailed on Adonia before? We have only ever sailed on larger ships, Aurora & Oriana. Always enjoyed the entertainment, particularly the Headliners, and hope we won't be disappointed by what's on offer on Adonia.

BigAl51

Hi BigAl51,

This is our first time on Adonia and P&O, so you can see we booked primarily for the itinerary!

I am hoping to get one big roll call going for those travelling from Rio to Southampton as I can see there are various people listed already doing various segments of this part of the World Cruise. I will post a link if that happens, failing that I will start one for just our 49 days BA to Southampton.

Linda:)

Hi Linda

Had our cabin confirmed yesterday.

Today we had a letter advising us that Adonia will only be in Buenos Aires for one day rather than the two days originally scheduled. Thursday 14th is now to be a sea day. As we arrive on 13th Feb we are concerned that we may not be able to take a tour in Buenos Aires. Hope this is not the case. Reason for change given as "greater number of ships than anticipated calling into BA on Thursday 14th Feb."

There is another small change, St Barts being substituted by St Kitts.

BigAl51

Hi BigAl51,

Thanks for your post.

I have started a roll call for this cruise on the CC P&O Adonia roll call threads if you'd care to post there instead as there are 2 other roll calls for other segments of this South America world cruise, making it easier to share information.

Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35345153#post35345153

I posted there that I have amended my P&O reservation to include 1 night pre-cruise in Buenos Aires so we now fly on 11th Feb, arriving 8.30am on 12th Feb.

Linda

Archived