Must SEE & DO in New Zealand

Marika

hi, We are planning a 3 week vacation to New Zealand in January 2007 (yes, I plan far ahead). I'm just beginning my research. What are the things we should do, see, visit?

Your opinions are very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I have only had a 2 week holiday in New Zealand so am no expert,but, one of my most favorite places in the world is Queenstown in the south island. It has a "european feel" without the crowds and so much to see and do and is so beautiful. If you can stay overlooking the lake so much the better. Sue

We spent a month in NZ, touring by ourselves in a rental car starting in the South Island. We researched ahead through Frommers and Fodors (online) for information and we also read a bunch of tour books. Spent a day in Christchurch (took a walking tour to get some local history) then down to Queenstown through Wanaka. The scenery is awesome and Queenstown is a busy, beautiful little place - you can bungee jump (nearby), pan for gold, take a steamboat ride, go horseriding, etc.... We drove slowly up the west coast to Franz Joseph Glazier and took a heli ride up the snowfield - breathtaking. There are so many places along the way to stop and enjoy the scenery so hopefully your plans will be flexible. We had alot of picnics along the shore.

You cannot take a rental car from one island to the other so you leave it and get on the ferry and another rental car awaits you on the other side.

North Island is spectacular - the wine region of Napier, the hot springs in Roturua, Pahia in Bay of the Islands and Auckland itself -- all spots to try and see if you can. If you enjoy horseriding - NZ offers some of the most beautiful and diverse riding opportunities.

Try and get info on Bed and Breakfast places - it was a great way to meet local people and appreciate what an amazing country you are visiting. We did a mix of B&Bs and motels.

We started our planning well in advance and wrote to many of the places we were interested in staying at so that we could have brochures to pour over as we made our plans.

You are picking a wonderful time of the year to go.

Hope this helps.

corniglia & tomko2,

Thank you for your feedback. As I said, I'm just beginning to research New Zealand, I've opened a new folder and I will save your recommendations.

We will be travelling on our own, on a motorcycle. We will probably ship our motorcycle there and either ship it back or just sell it. We've done this before and it's a lot cheaper to ship our's then rent one.

Thanks again,

Marika

One thing that is really fun to do near Queenstown is the thriller boat ride in Shotover gorge! Also take the gondola up the hill and watch the parasailers with their kites. Christchurch is easy to get around, lots of sights right together. The sheep farm excursions are fun, and a boat ride in the fjords on the west coast has beautiful scenery.

I've only been to the North Island, so all of my suggestions are for it.

Definitely spend a few nights in Rotorua.

Spend a day or two in Napier - especially if you love art deco. Nice winery's outside Napier too.

Don't miss the Glow Worm caves.

Auckland is a big yawn IMO. One day there is enough.

Jane

corniglia & tomko2,

Thank you for your feedback. As I said, I'm just beginning to research New Zealand, I've opened a new folder and I will save your recommendations.

We will be travelling on our own, on a motorcycle. We will probably ship our motorcycle there and either ship it back or just sell it. We've done this before and it's a lot cheaper to ship our's then rent one.

Thanks again,

Marika

Hi Marika, Sounds like you will be having a great trip. Its a great country to view by motorcycle. We are based in the north island in Tauranga. Though we are involved in toursim our passion is motorcycles. I have been riding and racing them for 30 years. What bike are you shipping and from where! There are quite a few companies that hire out bikes [i have the links if you need them] so depending on duration and type it may pay to use your own as you said.

Would love to offer some help with suggestions for your road route [we go on a 3 day monthly tour with about 20 other bikers so get around a bit. Let us have your email if thats OK and we will get back to you direct [the CC forum manager does not like me posting my contact details direct]. Hope to be able to help out.

KiwiIan, Thanks for offering your assistance. Thanks to all the other's as well.

We have a Ducati ST2 that we'll be shipping from Toronto, Canada. My husband has some business colleagues in Aukland that will be able to accept delivery and hold onto the bike until we arrive. We've rented before and found that it's a lot cheaper to ship our own, as well it's nice to ride a familiar bike.

Currently, I'm gathering info from this site, a friend who's a New Zealander as well as from the official New Zealand site, they have a few driving routes that look good.

You may send me info at travelling360@yahoo.com but please don't bombard me with stuff.

KiwiIan, Thanks for offering your assistance. Thanks to all the other's as well.

We have a Ducati ST2 that we'll be shipping from Toronto, Canada. My husband has some business colleagues in Aukland that will be able to accept delivery and hold onto the bike until we arrive. We've rented before and found that it's a lot cheaper to ship our own, as well it's nice to ride a familiar bike.

Currently, I'm gathering info from this site, a friend who's a New Zealander as well as from the official New Zealand site, they have a few driving routes that look good.

You may send me info at travelling360@yahoo.com but please don't bombard me with stuff.

Email coming your way, regards, KiwiIan

Archived