Motion Sickness on River Cruises

Nana57

I have no idea where you plan to cruise, but I did 10 river cruises on the old Delta Queen and Mississippi Queen and there was no rocking. Just the gentle thumping of the paddle wheel. I LOVED those boats and am delighted that the American Queen is back in operation.

Margaret

No you won't get sick. I get motion sickness and have taken 3 river cruises and love the gentle movement. You can always see land. I wear the patch behind my ear for ocean cruising and haven't been seasick on those cruises either. Thank goodness as I love cruising, ocean or river!

The only place you need to be aware of is in Russia - where the "river" cruise takes you into 2 lakes (Onega and Lagoda...) We actually had some pretty rough sailing across the lake after leaving Kihzi Island.

Fran

We just got back from Russia. As franski stated, there are two lakes and the water can be pretty rough on them sometimes. My daughter and I were on the lower level (portholes). You couldn't feel the motion so much as see and hear it as water splashed hard at the portholes. My daughter had to shut the curtains as the motion of the waves affected her. On the upper levels, people were walking very carefully as the ship rocked. Our guide said it was rougher than usual- but a couple of times it had been worse. (Over the two years he'd worked on the ship)

Most days you could hardly tell you were moving. That one, stormy day, my daughter was getting a little queasy (and she's more prone to motion sickness). It didn't bother me.

So if it's something you worry about or are prone to, you have nothing to lose by bringing a patch or whatever medical help has worked for you. For the most part- the majority of the time- it's smooth sailing. :)

I have no idea where you plan to cruise, but I did 10 river cruises on the old Delta Queen and Mississippi Queen and there was no rocking. Just the gentle thumping of the paddle wheel. I LOVED those boats and am delighted that the American Queen is back in operation.

Margaret

Glad to hear it, 'cause I just booked Lewis & Clark!:)

The only place you need to be aware of is in Russia - where the "river" cruise takes you into 2 lakes (Onega and Lagoda...) We actually had some pretty rough sailing across the lake after leaving Kihzi Island.

Fran

I've heard that Lagoda can be a problem. We've never had rough weather on river cruise either, even when it was stormy, rivers usually remain pretty calm. EXCEPT for the Isselmer in Holland, crossing that was very interesting but thankfully doesn't take long! For the most part, if you get sea sick, river cruising is not a problem.

Archived