Spring Break??

bling19572010

I am in the process of planning a family vacation and am looking at the Celebrity Summit for back-to-back cruises to the caribbean beginning March 2, 2013 for two weeks. Would this time frame be spring break? If it is, do you think that the summit would be a ship that would have many kids? Has anyone taken these itineraries and what is your opinion of the Summit? Thank you!!!:)

Spring break for some schools do start in early March and can be anytime between then and early April. It varies a lot around the country. Around where we live, Chicago area, most public school spring breaks are towards the end of March which I think is more common overall at least for public schools. For colleges there are some web sites which list estimates by week - including this one: http://studenttravel.about.com/od/springbrea1/f/when_spring_bre.htm

There will probably be some kids on the Summit then but not as many as their might be on cruises a few weeks later and not as many as there might be on cruises leaving from Florida (due to lower air fares). Remember that many college age kids can not cruise without parents due to age limits that require an adult over 21 to be on board with them except for limited exceptions.

If you are looking for more kids then you might be fine with the cruises you've selected or you can consider some closer to the end of March or on a more kid oriented cruise line such as RCL or Carnival or from Florida (cheaper air fares than San Juan).

If you are looking for fewer kids then you might consider a 14 day cruise, such as the Eclipse cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale, rather than 2 back to back 7 day cruises.

We are booked for a March cruise but it is a 10 day. We are hoping for a minimal amount of Spring breakers. I have sailed during Spring break before and it wasn't the college students but the younger kids running up and down the hallways. Parents didn't care what their kids were doing as long as they didn't have to deal with them. It didn't ruin my trip though. :)

We've been sailing every March on Celebrity on 10 to 14 day cruises for the past 7 years and have never had any issues with kids causing disturbances on the ships. Yes there will always be some kids, especially when the school breaks are scheduled. But most younger families with school age children tend to stick to the shorter cruises and while Celebrity is great for all ages there are other lines that have more to offer kids, especially teens, in terms of on-board activities.

For the original poster sailing from San Juan - with a San Juan cruise I'd be more concerned with when schools are out in Puerto Rico than the USA mainland: http://www.sanjuan.edu/calendars.cfm?subpage=2 as it would be easier for families to take a cruise if no expensive airfare was involved.

We've been sailing every March on Celebrity on 10 to 14 day cruises for the past 7 years and have never had any issues with kids causing disturbances on the ships. Yes there will always be some kids, especially when the school breaks are scheduled. But most younger families with school age children tend to stick to the shorter cruises and while Celebrity is great for all ages there are other lines that have more to offer kids, especially teens, in terms of on-board activities.

For the original poster sailing from San Juan - with a San Juan cruise I'd be more concerned with when schools are out in Puerto Rico than the USA mainland: http://www.sanjuan.edu/calendars.cfm?subpage=2 as it would be easier for families to take a cruise if no expensive airfare was involved.

Great points Larry, I'll check out the link. The reason why I'm looking at back to back cruises out of San Juan is because that itinerary has some islands that we have not visited yet and also because we want to be on the ship for at least two weeks to feel like we have really had a vacation. Thanks again for the info you have given me!

Archived