Amalfi, besides RIL tours?

BeachBum1007

We just used "see Amafi Coast" and highly recommend them. Vito, one of the owners was our driver ( small van for party of 7) and he was fabulous. Very friendly, informative, fun and professional. Loved his uncle's singing (CD) whi,e driving the coast.

It was 450 euros for the van of 7.

We stopped in Sorrento, and Positano for a fabulous lunch! Do not skip lunch for a quick bite- lunch was worth the trip! We also saw Pompeii. Next time I'd spend more time on the coast.

We also used AP Tours just last week, and they were fabulous. We visited Pompeii, Positano--with lunch at La Tagliata--and then Sorrento. Our all aboard was 5:30, and we took the 4:25 ferry from Sorrento to Naples. The ferry took 35 minutes, and when we arrived, we were less than 5 minutes back on to the Mariner of the Seas. I highly recommend AP Tours.

I have booked AP Tours for our Sorrento stop, just got a confirmation and it includes a charge for a guide of 110Euros, anyone know if we need a guide? I believe it is for the Herculaneum not the tour itself. The driver is your guide on the tour, correct?

I have booked AP Tours for our Sorrento stop, just got a confirmation and it includes a charge for a guide of 110Euros, anyone know if we need a guide? I believe it is for the Herculaneum not the tour itself. The driver is your guide on the tour, correct?

Regarding a guide for Herculaneum, I would definitely check with AP tours for a clarification. Normally, in Italy,tour guide is a separate, licensed, person and NOT the driver. There are very strict rules regarding this.

We Used AP tours for Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento and there was a separate guide (and a very good one at that) that took us through Pompeii. Same thing happened in Rome with AP tours as we had a separate guide that met us for our tour of the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel.

In Italy, the government says you can be a driver OR a guide.....but not both.

I don't know about Herculaneum, but we definitely suggest a guide for Pompeii. When combined with the Amalfi coast you are only there a little over 2 hrs. In order to see much AND know what you are looking at, what it was used for and why it all just blends into a bunch of ruins. Our guide truly made the place come alive for us. We actually had the same guide both times we have booked with APTours. Pina was awesome !!

As for your driver ..... he really mostly gets you from A to B to C.....but if you engage him with questions we have found that you will/can learn a lot about the area, the history and the current way the locals live. I am sure that some of the drivers we have had really wondered where I came up with all the questions I ask :eek:

My 3 friends and I just returned from a Med cruise. We used APTours and thought the tour was great.

Our driver ws Alberto, a delightful young man, and our guide for Pompeii was Pina.

Because our tour started early we arrived at Pompeii before the hordes of big buses. In fact we were the first ones going in. Pina kept us ahead of the crowds so at times we felt like we were the only ones there.

We chose to take the ferry back to Naples from Sorrento and enjoyed the ride. Positano was beautiful. All in all a wonderful day thanks to APTours.

Sue

• 2 months later...

We used AP tours and had Vittorio. He was charming and a very good driver/guide. Had Pina at Pompeii and was very knowledgeable. We booked a tour to go to Mt Vesuvius but due to the clouds and rain Vittorio suggested we go to Sorrento and along the Amalfi Coast to Positano. This was simply amazing. We learned a lot about farming and life in the area and he even showed us the area that he lives in. We were intrigued the entire time. He suggested a good place to eat that was budget friendly and fantastic food, took many pictures for us at scenic spots, and even drove us around Naples before going back to the ship(at our request). I would defiantly use them again.

I have a full day tour booked, AP taking me back to Naples. I don't know if the 4:25 ferry will work. How long a walk from the ferry dock to the cruise ships?

About 5 minutes.

We also took AP Tours-fabulous tour. The best driver.

• 3 weeks later...

We used Salvatore at Drive Amalfi for a tour of Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. Had a wonderful tour and lunch with the most fantastic view of the coast. He is an excelent driver as well as tour guide and will be happy to customize your tour. you can contact him at driveamalfi at hotmail.

Archived