Tampa and flight departures

suezyq50

The airport is actually not that far away, but depending on the day of the week and downtown traffic it could be close.

I would personally not risk it before noon. Wake up a few minutes later and don't rush off the ship. Relax and enjoy the ride to the airport so you don't end your vacation all stressed out about missing a flight. If you have to wait at the airport for a little bit, you could go check in for your flight and then catch a taxi to the International Mall which is right around the back of the mall to kill some time.

TPA is a 15+ minute cab ride ($25+tip, flat rate fare for the cab) away from the port. TPA is not the madhouse that you find at MCO, MIA or FLL, but Tampa traffic could delay you - weekdays, football games, conventions, etc.

Our last cruise from Tampa we walked off the ship at 9:00 and were checked in, through TSA, and at our gate by 10:00 -- but I still would not book anything much ealrier than noon to be safe. Good luck! :)

I live about an hour north of Tampa & have cruised from there around a dozen times. I'm typically off the ship, picked up the family, drove home, dropped them off, and at my desk by 10:30 or 11 - can only recall once that this wasn't the case, when HAL had JUST started sailing from Tampa (their 2nd departure from there) & they were still ironing out kinks in their system of boarding/booting.

The airport, as others have mentioned, is 15 to 30 minutes, depending on whether you're in workday, rush hour traffic.

That said, I probably would be hesitant to book a flight earlier than noon. I wouldn't want to be stressed over whether we'd make the flight. Just book at noon & take your time exiting; have a nice end-of-cruise breakfast & end your trip relaxed.

We have cruised out of Tampa twice. Once returning on a Sunday and once on a Thursday. We had a 2pm flt on the Sunday and did regular debark and got to the airport at 10:30. Last Oct, we did self assist and were at the airport at 9:20 for our 11:30 am flt. Personally, I would not book anything before 11:30. We made it in plenty of time but it all depends on how busy the airport is. I just returned from visiting my family in Tampa Bay last week. Returned last Thursday afternoon and the airport was a madhouse. This was on a Thursday ?? I was there 2 hours before flight time and needed every bit of it. Airline check-in was 45 min wait and security on airside was over a half hour. The place was a zoo.

I fly to Tampa 4 times per year to visit family and it's always a crap-shoot as far as how busy it can be. Flts 11:30 am - noon or later to be safe and you should be fine.

:):)

Archived