Anyone Use Car Rental from Le Havre to D-Day Sites

ddpe

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone rented a car from Le Havre port and then driven to D-Day sites of Utah and Omaha? Any difficulties, suggestions? Any trouble with roads, parking, car rental? Our ship does not depart until 8:30 pm so we have all day. It will be a Sunday. I checked with Hertz and they said they are closed on Sunday.

We have rented cars several times in Le Havre and had no problems driving in the region (we have our own GPS which is very helpful). Normally we have taken a taxi to get to a rental car office (in town) but there is a rental car company with an office in the port which I believe is called "Rent a Car." But to the best of my knowledge they are not open on Sundays. The French and Italians really have little interest in business productivity and the idea that they would open up just because there is a ship in port is outrageous :). However, there is a Europcar location (on the Quai Southampton) that does show Sunday hours (they are open in the morning). My advice would be to call Europcar (they have a toll free number) and inquire if they are truly accepting Sunday reservations. These agencies will allow you to drop the car after hours by pre-arrangment.

Hank

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone rented a car from Le Havre port and then driven to D-Day sites of Utah and Omaha? Any difficulties, suggestions? Any trouble with roads, parking, car rental? Our ship does not depart until 8:30 pm so we have all day. It will be a Sunday. I checked with Hertz and they said they are closed on Sunday.

If you do find it difficult to rent a car on Sunday (or even if not), you might want to consider a private tour of the D-Day sites. I say this because we did one with Overlord Tours in May (8 folks total from our Roll Call) and it was really fantastic. (Do a search on here and you'll find others who give Overlord high marks as well.) The guide was great, we didn't have to waste time getting or returning a car, nor trying to find our way around. And with a private tour, you can fine tune it to what you want to see... Just a thought.... It was an amazing day.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

Renting a car at the port is very easy. Here is their email (at least it was their email this April) le_havre@rentacar.fr You can see if they're open on Sunday.

We also had our own GPS but they will rent you one.

We've rented a car there twice. The first time we drove to Mont St Michel and stopped at the D Day beaches on the return trip. This year we went to William the Conqueror's castle, then drove the beach road along the D Day beaches and stopped at Honfleur. Have money for tolls. I think it's 5 euros each way on the bridge.

Archived