Cooler Question

DMgirl

I'm thinking about getting a rolling collapsible cooler to take with us on our cruise, but I have a few questions. Does anyone know if there is any place to stop between the Holiday Inn Port of Miami & the actual Port? Also, is it acceptable to bring on a 12 pack of soda and a 12 pack of beer? The cooler I'm looking at holds 30 cans. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

If you are carrying on the cooler, just beware the beer might not make it. But they do allow a reasonable amount of non alcoholic beverages to be brought on... you can try the beer, but just don't be upset if they take it away... if you are concerned, pack it in your checked luggage. Also remember if you are carrying it on, it needs to be able to fit through the xray machine like those at the airport...

We sent the cloth cooler with the luggage. I tried not to pack it to heavy lol We would empty the melted ice water & the room steward refill the ice in it all week. Put a tag on it an send it off with the other bags

I'm thinking about getting a rolling collapsible cooler to take with us on our cruise, but I have a few questions. Does anyone know if there is any place to stop between the Holiday Inn Port of Miami & the actual Port? Also, is it acceptable to bring on a 12 pack of soda and a 12 pack of beer? The cooler I'm looking at holds 30 cans. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Beware: We had the same thought process when we were staying at that same hotel. There isn't much down in that area, at least within walking distance. We got cheap Tonic Water and never ended up using it. They did have some Cokes and things.

-Stephen

Triumph 4/9/05

There is no place to buy your Cokes and beer in the area you are staying, and feel safe about walking around there. Ask your taxi driver to stop briefly at a grocery store on your way to the hotel. You could also pick up some snacks or breakfast items for the hotel night/morning and you'll be set to leave for the port the next morning.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll see if our shuttle driver will stop on the way from FLL to our hotel. We're using Larry's Limo so I'm sure it won't be a problem ( I hope at least!). So, I guess I'll just put a tag on it and check it at the port with our other luggage. I just hope it makes it to our cabin!

Don't think you will have any trouble. I also wrapped some tape around it - not much but enough to discourage anyone from opening it. And on the inside, to keep the cans from moving around. I put bubble wrap. Remember they will toss it around a bit. Have a great trip. Can't wait until October.

Lilm, I don't think the cooler has to have wheels, no. Just don't put ice in it :) I had a small suitcase that I put a big jug of Mudslide and bottle of gin & a 12 pk Bud in it. The Buds were left in the original carton unprotected with towels or anything. I put a couple 2 liter of cokes and water in the cooler. In the room, I took some of the cokes and water out and put in closet & put the buds in the cooler (I still paid my share for drinks)

I suppose you could check in the bag (although technically you're not allowed to bring alcohol onboard) but please don't fill the cooler with ice. They are not that careful handling the bags and imagine that melted ice leaks out all over someone elses bag and ruins their clothes or something electronic! Your cabin person will bring you ice, and depending on your cabin and ship you may have a fridge. Remember, you can't drink your own alcohol on deck or in the public rooms.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll see if our shuttle driver will stop on the way from FLL to our hotel. We're using Larry's Limo so I'm sure it won't be a problem ( I hope at least!). So, I guess I'll just put a tag on it and check it at the port with our other luggage. I just hope it makes it to our cabin!

We used Larryslimo-- and had a wonderful driver whose name was Victor. He stopped at a grocery store and let us buy our stuff. Soda can be carried on. Beer and alcohol will be taken from you.

I like the idea of the bubble wrap.

We put two twelve packs of soda in their original packaging in a suitcase. Needless to say the porter dropped that suitcase by accident. We were all scrambling to clean up and hide our goods. We had a good laugh and gave her a tip. At first she refused the tip. Hey accidents happen :)

We have never had a problem bringing on alcohol. The first time I had 2 bottles of wine in the carryon and it went through. Then I read that it probably should have been in the checked luggage so that is what we do - wrapped very well with bubble wrap. You can take a drink on deck with you if you have those nice sports bottles with the name of the ship on the outside - no one knows what is in there. We do bye drinks outside the stateroom but it is nice to have your own for that great "balcony time". Have fun.

I am bringing a cooler myself this time as the Triumph does NOT have a fridge.I like to keep MILK cold and also put in our soda and water. It also comes in handy to keep the left over beers from the beer bucket cold overnight. I did bring one bottle of wine (never drank it) and some 16 oz water bottles with vodka and kahlua (the reason I like to keep the milk cold);) WHite russians on the balcony - and for an extra treat add some icecream.....YUMMY

I already ordered the Corona basket from Carnival for embarkation so we will have ice cold beers for sailaway....hmmmm so far away

We have never had a problem bringing on alcohol. The first time I had 2 bottles of wine in the carryon and it went through. Then I read that it probably should have been in the checked luggage so that is what we do - wrapped very well with bubble wrap./QUOTE]

a reasonable amount of wine is allowed to be carried on. It stated that policy on the web page./

Archived