Massdam: 2,000 pounds of Maine Lobster

Salacia

We have had Maine lobster on Maasdam's Canada cruises a few times when they made FABULOUS seafood buffet at lunchtime. We have never had it served at dinner. They serve the same frozen lobster tails as on all the other ships.

We have heard a few times the chef's made thermador. They did a huge amount of work to do that and apparently there was moaning it wasn't the usual tails. We never had the thermador but I heard about it a few times.

Small lobsters (one pounders) are the lowest price this year they have been in years and it's great Maasdam will treat everyone to fresh Maine lobster. At the usual prices, it isn't a treat they can always offer. Kudos to the Chefs for planning that. :)

I will add for anyone rushing out to order lobsters, the larger size ones (2 pounds and up) are still priced very high. We got two lobsters about 2 1/2 or 3 pounds on Sunday and it was very pricey, as usual. Any lobster under one pound must be thrown back to be allowed to grow and reproduce.

Oh now I'm really drooling, lobster thermador, yum, yum. :D:D

The mussels from PEI are the very very best. Their lobsters aren't bad either.:):)

Sail, can you really get lobsters shipped fresh from Boston?

Yes, Carol.

There are lobster sellers that ship anywhere.

Just FYI, we live in NH and lobsters now are at their cheapest price in years.

Some say its because of the mild winter we had last. Others say the demand is way down due to the economy.

Bottom line, theyre relatively cheap and as good as ever. If you have them shipped, the transport charges will exceed the cost of goods,but well worth the expense.

We shipped a few to friends in the midwest a few years ago,and when they got them, they told us later,:"We had to throw them out. They were all green!"

I just cringed and said nothing.

We'll be on the Maasdam Sep 1st to Montreal and back. Looking foward to one or two!

Just FYI, we live in NH and lobsters now are at their cheapest price in years.

Some say its because of the mild winter we had last. Others say the demand is way down due to the economy.

Bottom line, theyre relatively cheap and as good as ever. If you have them shipped, the transport charges will exceed the cost of goods,but well worth the expense.

We shipped a few to friends in the midwest a few years ago,and when they got them, they told us later,:"We had to throw them out. They were all green!"

We'll be on the Maasdam Sep 1st to Montreal and back. Looking foward to one or two!

It is true that small, one pound lobsters are at about the lowest price they have been for many years. However, any lobsters two pounds and over are no less costly than always. We don't buy one pounders as we don't think there is much to eat in them. The tails are so small, the claws are one bite and we like to have some lobster :) when we have lobster. :)

Some restaurants offer twin lobster specials at very low prices and that's a nice dinner. :)

Got to admire your restraint.

The mussels from PEI are the very very best. Their lobsters aren't bad either.:):)

Sail, can you really get lobsters shipped fresh from Boston?

Do an Internet search for "Maine Lobster" and you will come up with many places that ship from Maine. I checked a month or so ago. Still very costly with the shipping and all.

Do an Internet search for "Maine Lobster" and you will come up with many places that ship from Maine. I checked a month or so ago. Still very costly with the shipping and all.

Try googlling for MA. Maybe the prices might be a bit lower?

Worth a try.

I will be on that sailing leaving the 18th, but I don't eat lobster. There are 16 of us going and I think I'm the only one that doesn't eat. I'm passing this article on to all my travelers and I'm sure they'll be excited!!

Schwabby

I have to check with my local fish market to see where their lobsters come from. They usually steam them for me. I only like the male lobsters, but haven't had any in about a month.

Carol,

We prefer the males also but when we get 2 1/2 pounds and up, we cannot always get males at last minute. The lobster pounds don't bring in as many of the big ones so we have to take what they have. Their lobsters are so fresh, it's worth it to us.

You say your fish place steams them and that is great but how long did they have them before they were cooked? Are they cooked to order? Hot when you pick them up?

Makes a difference to how tender etc

In German television I was told, this season they have so many lobsters in Maine (the reason I forgot), they have problems to handle them.

For my wife lobsters are in the category vermins. When we did the tour Ft.Lauderdale to Montreal we were not able to take a daily tour. The daily tour was with lunch, and lunch was lobsters.

We are living in the middle of Europe, the so called "Wetterau" (good farmland since 7-9000 years), where the people need meat, potatos and sauce. Fish and seafood are unknown. (Although this has changed in the last years, the people are more mobil, especially the local slangs disappear).

Last December at the Volendam we were invited to the captains table and what came up: Seafood. Thanks god, for my wife there was also a steak available.

How delicious is this: The Massdam is taking delivery of 2,ooo pounds of fresh lobster from Bar Harbor, Maine next week. Local lobstermen are happy and no doubt there'll also be some happy passengers after that dinner. Nice local news story can be found at http://fenceviewer.com/site/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=76227:cruise-ship-will-%E2%80%98buy%E2%80%99-bar-harbor&Itemid=938

To you lucky Massdam passengers - enjoy :)

Regards,

Salacia

Wish I were on that cruise.....sounds delicious!!

• 2 weeks later...

Prices are still low for the one pound size lobsters so........

maybe. :)

If not, you certainly can have lobster lunch on your own in any of the New England/Atlantic Canada ports. Delicious.

Bar Harbor, Halifax, Charlottetown...... all great places to treat yourself to a wonderful lobster lunch.

:) We were on the Voyage of the Vikings and visited Bar Harbor on the 17th (last day of the cruise) The Captain announced that we would be taking on (i believe he said 450 lbs) of live lobsters that day. They served fresh lobster thermidor in the main dining room that night It was quite good too. I'm wondering if HAL didn't contract for 2,000 lbs (a ton of lobsters wow! ) and take it on in 4 or 500 lb increments over the next few weeks. 2000 Lbs is quite a lot for 1200 people and probably only half or less ordered it.

:) We were on the Voyage of the Vikings and visited Bar Harbor on the 17th (last day of the cruise) The Captain announced that we would be taking on (i believe he said 450 lbs) of live lobsters that day. They served fresh lobster thermidor in the main dining room that night It was quite good too. I'm wondering if HAL didn't contract for 2,000 lbs (a ton of lobsters wow! ) and take it on in 4 or 500 lb increments over the next few weeks. 2000 Lbs is quite a lot for 1200 people and probably only half or less ordered it.

Wouldn't it be nice if at least some of the crew got a treat as well. :)

Archived