Charleston, S.C. review

OC PAT

Just returned from my second trip to Charleston, the first 11/03 on a cruise and this past week on a business trip. Decided to write this since I could find little info. on these boards

When I went in 2003 I was with my dad. I booked thru the internet DOIN' the Charleston. It was an air condition bus tour with comfy seats. They had a tv screen that showed how the sites looked thru the years and what it looked like inside. Great if you are physically challenged or easily bothered by the heat and humidity.

This trip I stayed at the Embassy Suites at the convention center in North Charleston near the airport. A 15 min. ride to downtown. Hotel outstanding. Full free breakfast and free happy hour makes up for not being downtown. Hotel has 10 dollar shuttle roundtrip for downtown.

We ate at the Sweet Water Cafe for breakfast. Nice local touch with reasonable prices The Boatyard was really a fantastic dinner. Wine lovers will love it. The crab fritters, steak and lobster and their deserts were super. Atmosphere great. They have 3 locations, one downtown.

Rented a car thru enterprise. Offered to fill up car at 1.97 so knowing that gas stations were over that we said sure. Well, we didn't use all the gas and they wouldn't give any credit so we ended up paying 3.00 a gallon.

Had dinner at Middleton Place Plantation. What a place. Has been there since colonial days. The resturant has huge windows overlooking the pond, woods, and gardens. The dinner with a alcoholic drink, appetizers and entree for 5 was 213 dollars. Very pretty. Saw alligators, blue herons and nasty bug bitters. This place has a Inn that really looks great for a romantic get-a-way. Has oldest gardens in the US. Big white oaks. Not far from Magnolia Plantation.

Explored Island of Palms Beach. Sand so hard people were bike riding on it. Waves are fun for jumping not as big as Ocean City's in Maryland. They had really nice looking large homes on the beach that folks rented.

DH went to Ft. Sumtner. This requires taking a boat ride. Bring suntan lotion. Tour had lots of interesting info. but this is for your historic buffs.

Had lunch at Poogan's Porch-ok-not great but not bad.

Went to Charleton Cooks Cooking School 6:30 P.M. Wed. night. The executive chef from Hank's Seafood taught the class. 55 dollars. The store is 1/2 block from the Custom house on East Bay. Lots of fun. Afterwards went across the street to the Market Pavillian. Go the roof and have a drink with a snack. Great view of Charleston. Ask for Lauren, tell her Pat sent you.

Food specialities, shrimp with grits, cole slaws, olives stuffed with blue cheese, fried foods, oysters, crab fritters, peanut soup.

Shop at the slave market. A group of buildings with numerous shops from food, to sweet water reed baskets, jewelry and tourist stuff. Named such because in the slave era the markets were so dirty that only the slaves were sent to shop there. Butchers would throw their scraps out on the street and the waiting vultures would be fightening over the bits.

Numerous carriage rides are offered to explore the city. They also have walking ghost tours that are not scary according to one of our folks who went on the tour.

Charleston is similiar to New Orleans in their cuisine. I believe they are more diversed. Food, Plantations and a good dose of history is what this pretty town offers. I was their to observe and learn about their Drug Court under the leadership of Judge Condon. He is really doing a great job and worthy to check out if your're in the legal business.

OC PAT

Thanks for your kind words. Just returning the favor. These boards have help plan many of my vacations.

Charleston is a growing big secret. I know a lot of folks from Maryland's Eastern Shore just love the area.

Just returned from my second trip to Charleston, the first 11/03 on a cruise and this past week on a business trip. Decided to write this since I could find little info. on these boards

When I went in 2003 I was with my dad. I booked thru the internet DOIN' the Charleston. It was an air condition bus tour with comfy seats. They had a tv screen that showed how the sites looked thru the years and what it looked like inside. Great if you are physically challenged or easily bothered by the heat and humidity.

This trip I stayed at the Embassy Suites at the convention center in North Charleston near the airport. A 15 min. ride to downtown. Hotel outstanding. Full free breakfast and free happy hour makes up for not being downtown. Hotel has 10 dollar shuttle roundtrip for downtown.

We ate at the Sweet Water Cafe for breakfast. Nice local touch with reasonable prices The Boatyard was really a fantastic dinner. Wine lovers will love it. The crab fritters, steak and lobster and their deserts were super. Atmosphere great. They have 3 locations, one downtown.

Rented a car thru enterprise. Offered to fill up car at 1.97 so knowing that gas stations were over that we said sure. Well, we didn't use all the gas and they wouldn't give any credit so we ended up paying 3.00 a gallon.

Had dinner at Middleton Place Plantation. What a place. Has been there since colonial days. The resturant has huge windows overlooking the pond, woods, and gardens. The dinner with a alcoholic drink, appetizers and entree for 5 was 213 dollars. Very pretty. Saw alligators, blue herons and nasty bug bitters. This place has a Inn that really looks great for a romantic get-a-way. Has oldest gardens in the US. Big white oaks. Not far from Magnolia Plantation.

Explored Island of Palms Beach. Sand so hard people were bike riding on it. Waves are fun for jumping not as big as Ocean City's in Maryland. They had really nice looking large homes on the beach that folks rented.

DH went to Ft. Sumtner. This requires taking a boat ride. Bring suntan lotion. Tour had lots of interesting info. but this is for your historic buffs.

Had lunch at Poogan's Porch-ok-not great but not bad.

Went to Charleton Cooks Cooking School 6:30 P.M. Wed. night. The executive chef from Hank's Seafood taught the class. 55 dollars. The store is 1/2 block from the Custom house on East Bay. Lots of fun. Afterwards went across the street to the Market Pavillian. Go the roof and have a drink with a snack. Great view of Charleston. Ask for Lauren, tell her Pat sent you.

Food specialities, shrimp with grits, cole slaws, olives stuffed with blue cheese, fried foods, oysters, crab fritters, peanut soup.

Shop at the slave market. A group of buildings with numerous shops from food, to sweet water reed baskets, jewelry and tourist stuff. Named such because in the slave era the markets were so dirty that only the slaves were sent to shop there. Butchers would throw their scraps out on the street and the waiting vultures would be fightening over the bits.

Numerous carriage rides are offered to explore the city. They also have walking ghost tours that are not scary according to one of our folks who went on the tour.

Charleston is similiar to New Orleans in their cuisine. I believe they are more diversed. Food, Plantations and a good dose of history is what this pretty town offers. I was their to observe and learn about their Drug Court under the leadership of Judge Condon. He is really doing a great job and worthy to check out if your're in the legal business.

OC PAT

Pat, as a Charleston area native, thank you for your kind words about our lovely city but just a few corrections.

Isle of Palms is on Sullivans Island and I think that is where you got Island of Palms.

Also, the wave size has more to do with the weather and currents than the locations. Chances are our waves are the same size as your waves on any given day.

Sorry you didn't like Poogans. Great restaurant.

Next time email me and I'll give you some local advice.

I stand corrected and that's important for folks checking out what to do in Charleston. I was operating on memory only and this young gal's memory has wierd gaps. Really appreciated your response and invite.

Now about those waves. I wish Ocean City had those gentle waves like you all had when I was there. Our costal waves are higher and more rapid. Our surfers are out in front of my place year long. I loved your beach because I could deal with your waves something that I can't do in my front yard thanks to two knee replacements. I truly enjoyed the hard sand and the ocean because I could walk it. Oh DH just said with the high tide and full moon the ocean is kissing our dunes. It's unseasonably cold here. When I was there it hit 90.

Again thanks

OC Pat

Archived