Solo on NCL - more than double rate???

Rosebud5t

Hi everyone! I've been cruising with Carnival and would like to try NCL, but am running into higher than double rates since I cruise solo. I just ran a quote on the Pearl for Feb 10, 2013, it was $399pp or $798 per inside cabin for two people. I went back and changed the travelers to 1 and the per cabin rate went up to $1313. What the heck??? Does anyone know if this is normal for NCL to charge more than double for solo cruisers? If that's the case, wouldn't I be better off booking a second person and just having them not show up?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated as I really would like to try NCL. I have no problem paying double since it's my choice to travel solo, but am certainly not willing to pay more than double.

Thanks!

Hi everyone! I've been cruising with Carnival and would like to try NCL, but am running into higher than double rates since I cruise solo. I just ran a quote on the Pearl for Feb 10, 2013, it was $399pp or $798 per inside cabin for two people. I went back and changed the travelers to 1 and the per cabin rate went up to $1313. What the heck??? Does anyone know if this is normal for NCL to charge more than double for solo cruisers? If that's the case, wouldn't I be better off booking a second person and just having them not show up?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated as I really would like to try NCL. I have no problem paying double since it's my choice to travel solo, but am certainly not willing to pay more than double.

Thanks!

I just went to NCL's website and pulled up that cruise and it's showing $549 per person, not $399.

I've cruised solo & never had that happen. I can usually find a rate which is less than double if I am flexible in my dates and keep looking.

Just checked the rates & the lowest is $549pp inside with a single person at $1098 which is exactly double.

Thanks!

Another option...

The EPIC has studio cabins, with no single supplement. The BREAKAWAY will also offer these when she comes out in April/May 2013.

Thanks!

The cruise you are looking at is over Valentine's Day which makes it more expensive. A week earlier or a week later will change the price. The price always goes up over a holiday and spring break season (middle of March until after Easter).

That's unusual to see, i.e. the single/double occupancy rates that you mentioned/observed. Have not seen or heard of that before (and) do not believe that it is the "norm" at all for NCL Cruise Fares.

I would suggest going through the booking again. And make sure it is the same cabin type, ship an date. Any of those changes will cause variances.

And, if for some weird reason, you can just book a second person that "misses the ship".

I have traveled solo on ncl three times and never had to pay double once.i have a good pcc at ncl who has always worked with me to get me a good rate and obc. My Christmas cruise on the epic is my fourth and I am sailing inside(not a studio)for less than studio prices.call ncl,be flexible,wait for the deals.they will work with you unlike my experience with other lines,ncl values my business.

Archived