Zaandam or Statendam ???

PAHORNER

OK, HELP !, All you knower's of all things HAL. Zaandam or Statendam ? DH and I are in the planning stages of Alaska 2013, both ships offer same literary just week or so time difference so that would not be a problem, just not sure of ship. We have sailed HAL a number of times on the Zuidy, Westerdam and the Eurodam never any of the smaller ships. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Have not been on Zaandam but last few trips on Statendam have been plagued with mechanical issues. Crew seemed fine but things like an engine failure seem to occur more often than on other ships. Used to be our favorite HAL ship.

FWIW

Gary

A week or so can make a big difference in two items. One, the number of families traveling on your cruise due to schools being out and such. Two, the weather is colder and more wet on both ends of the offered travel windows for Alaska. We went in May and it was cool, and misty but no children and we had a good time. I can't say one ship over the other as we were on the Amsterdam then.

I also have sailed on both and would not hesitate to do so again. However, if the itinerary was exactly the same I also would go with the Zaandam. She is the newer ship. As far as the crew and service go you can not go wrong with either. But the Statendam is older and beginning to show it.

I prefer the Zaandam. She is newer & a tiny bit larger. Love that she has 3 banks of elevators whereas Statendam only has two.:):D:)

I prefer Statendam.

The mid bank of elevators in Zaandam, took out the great Half Moon Room found in Statendam, a meeting room that I missed in Zaandam.

Because of her smaller size I had no problem with just the two sets of elevators in Statendam.

john

• 4 weeks later...

DH and I are also planning an Alaska cruise. We cruised the Oosterdam in 2010 to Alaska's inside passage, and all it did is make us hungry for more Alaska. Our plan is to spend a few days exploring Alaska, then make our way to Anchorage/Seward for the southbound leg.

Both ships are going to be great. Having just come off the Veendam to Bermuda (its last trip :( boo-hoo) I totally a HAL fan. No other cruise ship has that level of service.

Other than the small difference in the size of the ships, we haven't seen any real differences, and will probably decide based on price and schedule.

Archived