More Expansion Coming to Port Canaveral

Retired LEO

efficient Governor?

effective Governor?

oops I guess you didn't want to hear a counterpint to your 3rd grade rant.

Sorry, but he's right. I hate politicians and their funny math. I like Rick Scott, but he's way off on this one.

I was just in FLL and outside the airport hung a giant banner that said, "SOUTH RUNWAY EXPANSION = 10,882 JOBS!"

Sorry, but can you explain to me how they come up with that number? It doesn't take 10 thousand people to build a runway.

Remember he went on a cruise, a short time ago, touting jobs.

The only jobs to tout had to be cruise ship jobs.

He is a putz though.

Spent over $70M of his own cash to be the governor.

I have no respect for that man.

Good thing for port Caniveral.

Sorry, but he's right. I hate politicians and their funny math. I like Rick Scott, but he's way off on this one.

I was just in FLL and outside the airport hung a giant banner that said, "SOUTH RUNWAY EXPANSION = 10,882 JOBS!"

Sorry, but can you explain to me how they come up with that number? It doesn't take 10 thousand people to build a runway.

I think in big infrastructure jobs, governments like to throw "person years" around as the actual number of jobs created. And it's a lot more than just the guys laying concrete. Never mind the engineers who have to design it, you have specialized equipment being built for a job like that, truckers bring materials, and the spin off jobs in the community supported by all these workers spending their money.

Remember he went on a cruise, a short time ago, touting jobs.

The only jobs to tout had to be cruise ship jobs.

He is a putz though.

Spent over $70M of his own cash to be the governor.

I have no respect for that man.

Good thing for port Caniveral.

His "own" cash, how did he come to have that cash in the first place!:rolleyes::D

I think in big infrastructure jobs, governments like to throw "person years" around as the actual number of jobs created. And it's a lot more than just the guys laying concrete. Never mind the engineers who have to design it, you have specialized equipment being built for a job like that, truckers bring materials, and the spin off jobs in the community supported by all these workers spending their money.

Your comment is very valid and one that a lot of people don't take into consideration when they hear about a construction project. Large projects have a big impact on the community from a "trickle-down" standpoint (food trucks, maintenance, local grocery stores, gas stations, etc.)

I did notice though that the article is short on details. Some of the money is being spent on dredging and widening the shipping channel, but what else is happening? A new cruise terminal for RCI or Disney now? Or is this just a piggyback of old news (the new Carnival terminal they are standing in) with the spending on the dredging?

There are direct and indirect jobs from such a large project. 10000 does seem like a lot though from building a runway.

Archived