Fort Lauderdale Pre Cruise Day

maplevale

Any suggestions on what to do/see? A day at the beach? Book a hotel with a nice pool area? We aren't big shoppers but will need to grab some wine and pop to take aboard.

We arrive at 10am the day before our cruise. Need to factor in a cab/transportation from the airport to hotel to do something/dinner and back. Or a nice central located place we can walk around.

The Renaissance is centrally located and has a nice pool area, but isn't near the beach.

Sort of depends on your budget...cabs are not really expensive (maybe $15-20 from the airport to most hotels....and $10-15 to the pier...give or take a few bucks..)

The Embassy Suites is also popular and the pool looks nice, plus you get free breakfast...and a free happy hour ....

Or over by the beach you could look at the Bahia Mar

that's just a start...there are many places......

It's right across from a Walgreens pharmacy that has lots of stuff...and from SOME rooms you can see the ships...it's essentially across the street from the port entrance, though the pier area is HUGE.....(hence, not walkable...:eek:)

Plenty of restaurants along the road...and another large shopping center...

http://www.theharborshops.com

Plus you could always hop on http://www.suntrolley.com as well..if it runs when you are there...and head over by the beach....

poke around this board too...there are lots of places....:)

You also might want to look into a hotel near the water taxi. We found this to be a great way to both see the FLL area and also a great mode of transportation

For $20 per person you can get on and off all day at a bunch of different stops. Stop for lunch at one place then head to the beach for awhile. Stop shopping then have dinner.

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/

Maplevale, my sister and I are booked at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina. It's right on the intracoastal, has a water taxi stop right by it, and we got a great rate since we booked it what seems like 27 years ago. I have been doing a lot of hotel research since the Hilton charges for things like internet (so annoying) and a hotel that looks nice is the Hampton Inn Ft Lauderdale Airport. Right now on expedia.ca it's $108 a night, and has an airport and a cruiseport shuttle. There's a Winn Dixie across the street (good for wine and other such stuff). The pool is nothing to write home about but hey, it's a pool. Free internet, free parking, and free breakfast. The only reason I'm not booking there is that I got the Hilton for $70 a night. Which, even if I pay for the internet, is still not $108. Don't know if we can include links in here but the Hampton Inn is http://www.hamptoninnftlauderdaleairport.com/ . Don't mix it up with a few other Hampton Inns on Expedia. This one is the newest with the nicest looking rooms and the best reviews. Trust me, I spend HOURS reading tripadvisor etc. I should have been a travel agent but that's certainly not a secure job in this day and age.

I am staying at the LaQuinta in Hollywood for my precruise. It has free Airport Shuttle and free shuttle to Port Everglades. Its across from Oakwood Plazafor last minute things to pick up, with a few restaurants. It has a nice looking pool. Also comes with a free breakfast. There are good reviews on this board plus on Trip Advisor. With the great government rate I'm paying, its definately worth it.

I am staying at the LaQuinta in Hollywood for my precruise. It has free Airport Shuttle and free shuttle to Port Everglades. Its across from Oakwood Plazafor last minute things to pick up, with a few restaurants. It has a nice looking pool. Also comes with a free breakfast. There are good reviews on this board plus on Trip Advisor. With the great government rate I'm paying, its definately worth it.

I think I am booking this hotel as well. It does say "airport shuttle available". Normally I would notice complimentary. Do you know if it's free or is there a charge?

Saw your recommendation for the LaQuinta. Checked it out for our April 2013 cruise and it was within my budget so I booked it. I understand there is a shopping mall across the street but I was reading on one site that said you should be careful in that area at night. Do you know anything about that?

We will need to be able to walk to shopping, restaurants, grocery (for wine & beer) and was wondering if it had all of this and if it would be safe?

If you've stayed here before, any info you can give will be appreciated. Also do you know how far it is from the beach and how much a trolley or taxi would be to get there?

THANK YOU!! :-)

Forget my previous question...the rooms will not accomodate 5 of us.

Do you have children in your 5? I put in 2 adults and 3 children and rooms come up with 2 dbl beds. Maybe you can add a cot? I have 5 but my nephew & his friend are joining us so we have 2 rooms. I would call them and see if they can accomdate you.

Saw your recommendation for the LaQuinta. Checked it out for our April 2013 cruise and it was within my budget so I booked it. I understand there is a shopping mall across the street but I was reading on one site that said you should be careful in that area at night. Do you know anything about that?

We will need to be able to walk to shopping, restaurants, grocery (for wine & beer) and was wondering if it had all of this and if it would be safe?

If you've stayed here before, any info you can give will be appreciated. Also do you know how far it is from the beach and how much a trolley or taxi would be to get there?

THANK YOU!! :-)

I have not stayed here before but there are a few recommendations on these boards that I have read that don't state any of the above. Royalcruz, who frequents these boards said its a nice place to stay. It is across the street from a Plaza that has stores & restaurants so you will be able to walk. I also read that they will shuttle you for free to places.

Read post # 5 on this thread. This person gives the LQ, Hollywood a great review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1686077

If you are sailing after Thanksgiving, I can come back and let you know how it is.

Embassy Suites just offers too much value in the Fort Lauderdale area.

1. Free Cooked to Order Breakfast

2. Free Happy Hour

3. Close to Harbor Shops (Total Wine, Publix, Restaurants, etc.)

4. Beautiful Pool Area

5. 2 miles from Beach / 2 miles from Las Olas nightlife / 2 miles from Port Everglades / 2 miles from Airport

6. 1/2 mile from the Water Taxi Stop by the Hilton Marina (Great way to see Fort Lauderdale)

Embassy Suites just offers too much value in the Fort Lauderdale area.

1. Free Cooked to Order Breakfast

2. Free Happy Hour

3. Close to Harbor Shops (Total Wine, Publix, Restaurants, etc.)

4. Beautiful Pool Area

5. 2 miles from Beach / 2 miles from Las Olas nightlife / 2 miles from Port Everglades / 2 miles from Airport

6. 1/2 mile from the Water Taxi Stop by the Hilton Marina (Great way to see Fort Lauderdale)

I love Embassy Suites, but, $265 compared to $119 for LaQuinta for my travel dates anyway, that's a no brainer for me. Especially since it's just one night and your really not in your room that much. That's a spa treatment for me on the ship!! :-)

Archived