Hubbard Glacier..which side?

jimmythegreek

The times we have been at Hubbard Glacier (in fact at any of the glaciers) the ships do a 180 so both sides of the ship have views. They may have changed that procedure, but the last time we did Alaska was in 2011 and that was the procedure.

George and Louise in Sun City Huntley Illinois

Hubbard Glacier on Century...port or starboard? Does it really matter?

It doesn't matter. The ship will slowly turn through 360 degrees. But I would suggest you take a seat in the forward lounge so that you can see what the naturalist on the bridge is talking about and keep warm. The approach and return from the glacier is best seen from the lounge too. Take good binoculars - you might spot bears and other wildlife.

Hope you are blessed with good weather.

It doesn't matter. The ship will slowly turn through 360 degrees. But I would suggest you take a seat in the forward lounge so that you can see what the naturalist on the bridge is talking about and keep warm. The approach and return from the glacier is best seen from the lounge too. Take good binoculars - you might spot bears and other wildlife.

Hope you are blessed with good weather.

The side doesn't matter. What see coming in on one side you'll see leaving on the other. Most ships do a 360 circle near the face.:cool:

Sailing out of Vancouver, I would definitely chose port side. Sailing the inside passage the scenery is beautiful on either side. As for the different ports, you will mostly be off the ship anyway. Enjoy your cruise.

Just wanted to make a quick comment regarding Hubbard. Since Hubbard is advancing (and not retreating) many passengers are outside while at the glacier face. If it is actively calving then the sound is incredible and not to be missed by staying inside.

I agree and second this - outside is the place to be It was amazing experience I will always remember.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Just wanted to make a quick comment regarding Hubbard. Since Hubbard is advancing (and not retreating) many passengers are outside while at the glacier face. If it is actively calving then the sound is incredible and not to be missed by staying inside.

The sounds are incredible. For the most part, fellow passengers were listening as if they were at a classical concert. Funny thing though, on our Century Cruise early this year, maintenance staff were sanding the promenade deck or something making a ghastly noise right when we were approaching the glacier face. :eek: It stopped soon thereafter: someone must have done something about it.

I would agree with this comment. We were able to get very close to the face of Hubbard on our cruise and the sounds of the calving were amazing. They had lots of blankets on deck to use to keep warm. Our naturalist did a great job of explaining everything that was happening. You are only there once - go out on deck and enjoy the experience.

Archived