Requesting a matress pad

Nickymjw1

. Everyone I've talked with about the Triumph says the beds are horrible so I guess I'll have to bring one along.

While Ive never used a mattress topper. Ive always thought Carnivals beds were the most comfortable of any cruiseline.

I just asked the GF and she said the bed on the Triumph was great. We were on her in feb

I bought some self inflatable camping mat at Walmart but I'm taking it back.

I think it ended up only being 1"!

I think I am going to check online one more time and last resort will be buying the 4 inch memory foam topper and do the spacebag thing.

@youngbdg, my DH and MIL said the bed was fine for them, however I have back and hip issues so I need some extra padding.

Sadien, since u used that self inflatable i am thinking about, do you think it will be better cushioning or the egg crate?

I bought some self inflatable camping mat at Walmart but I'm taking it back.

I think it ended up only being 1"!

I think I am going to check online one more time and last resort will be buying the 4 inch memory foam topper and do the spacebag thing.

@youngbdg, my DH and MIL said the bed was fine for them, however I have back and hip issues so I need some extra padding.

The camping ones (ThermArest will set you back around $80 at REI) are thin and very dense. The ones we have can be inflated (by mouth) a bit more for firmness. Ours have only been used for camping in tents on dirt & rocks. Ours are about 12 years old. Havn't felt a rock using them.

For a cruise I would bring an eggcrate in a SpaceBag. From our experience the eggcrate is much lighter and easier to pack and would have no plastic air valve.

The eggcrate also seemed to be wider than our ThermArest pads.

I guess in my mind i am thinking about the old dashioned egg crates that don't give much cushioning once u lay on it. I will check them when i go. Back to Walmart. My best sleep when visiting friends has always been an air matress so maybe I will just get the one my MIL has and throw it in a suitcase. Lol

I've never thought the beds on the ship were soft. I have found that as I have gotten older, I prefer a firmer mattress, so the hard beds don't bother me as much as they used to. Thank goodness for my select comfort mattress at home. I can adjust as needed. Now those would be nice to have on a cruise.

What happened to the soft beds? :confused:

I don't know.

But the ones they have now are like concrete.

I know that some people like a super hard bed, but they make me hurt.

I have had a hard time, literally, sleeping on the carnival mattresses for a couple of years.

I hope they get the egg crates back.

I don't know.

But the ones they have now are like concrete.

I know that some people like a super hard bed, but they make me hurt.

I have had a hard time, literally, sleeping on the carnival mattresses for a couple of years.

I hope they get the egg crates back.

That's sad to hear. That was one of their newer selling points.

I know egg crate mattress requests are the rage on the RCCL boards.

What happened to the soft beds? :confused:

Right??? The old comfort beds that you never wanted to get out of??? We used to even take naps on sea days (something we never do at home) Our last cruise, it was hard to even go to bed at night, it was not only hard, but LUMPY, it sucked!!! Yeah the new boss is NOT the same as the old boss, the new boss doesn't care much if he has satisfied customers.

Gonna take a topper for the mattress in a space bag, which is a PAIN, but I am not going to suffer like I did on the Miracle last year!!!

Carole

Reading the post about the hard beds has me worried. We sailed on the Fascination in June 2009 and the bed was great. Has Carnival changed the type of mattresses used since 2009? We are sailing on the Dream in June 2013. How are those beds?

I can't speak for the Dream, but the mattresses have definitely changed in the last year or so. Much thinner and hard as a rock. I've never thought the Carnival beds were quite as comfy as most other folks, but have had a couple that weren't that bad. My last two sailings on the Liberty and the Pride (Jan and July of this year) there was a noticeable change. The mattresses just feel thin and cheap now. :( Not good for those of us with back problems.

Reading the post about the hard beds has me worried. We sailed on the Fascination in June 2009 and the bed was great. Has Carnival changed the type of mattresses used since 2009? We are sailing on the Dream in June 2013. How are those beds?

Just off Dream yesterday, everyone at our table agreed that the beds are HARD. I would compare it to a step above sleeping on the floor.........seriously. I wish I brought a topper with me! I dreamed of my tempur pedic!!!

I'd pay extra for a soft bed.

I was just thinking today how much money Carnival would save in the long run if they switched to tempur pedic style beds since they have a 20 yr guarentee and they wouldn't have to switch out the beds anymore. Just Sayin.....

Archived