Bringing a minor who is not related

Hello guys. I just got back off my last cruise and of course am thinking about the next. We are considering bringing a friend of my sons on our next cruise with us, and was wondering what things regarding documentation we need to do.

Both my son and the friend will be 19 at the time of the cruise, and we are from the UK, if that makes any difference.

I have read on here something about having to get a letter or something from the parents, but I spoke to the loyalty person on the ship, and they said no such thing is needed.

I also mentioned about booking them in their own room, but he said that they must be connecting cabins. I know I have read on CC that opposite, or next door is fine.

Has the loyalty guy got his facts wrong, or have I?

If they are over 18, you don't need permission at all. They will need their ID/passport, but you don't need a letter from parents.

Booking next door is fine....although sometimes they will make you book an "adult" (over 25) in each room...you can rearrange the cabins when you board.

My husband is not traveling with my 6 year old daughter and I, do I need the letter? I just read somewhere that I did, but not from the cruise line. Help would be appreciated as he is currently on a motorcycle trip to the Artic Circle and getting such a letter would be problematic.....

I brought a letter signed by the kids' father when we went on our Disney cruise, but they never asked or questioned.

On the last RCCL cruise, however, they did question me... their dad actually came on that sailing, but was in a different cabin and checked in separately.

Here is a template of what I used:

Date

To Whom It May Concern:

I, (father’s name), give consent for my minor children, (full names of children), to travel on the (name of ship) cruise with their mother and stepfather, (full names), from (start and end dates of trip). They will be traveling via the following flights:

Paste flights and cruise itinerary

(Subject to change due to delays, missed flights, weather conditions, etc.)

In addition, I give permission to their mother, (full name), to authorize any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment for my children during this trip.

Sincerely,

(Signed Name of Father)

(Contact Phone Number)

Hello guys. I just got back off my last cruise and of course am thinking about the next. We are considering bringing a friend of my sons on our next cruise with us, and was wondering what things regarding documentation we need to do.

Both my son and the friend will be 19 at the time of the cruise, and we are from the UK, if that makes any difference.

I have read on here something about having to get a letter or something from the parents, but I spoke to the loyalty person on the ship, and they said no such thing is needed.

I also mentioned about booking them in their own room, but he said that they must be connecting cabins. I know I have read on CC that opposite, or next door is fine.

Has the loyalty guy got his facts wrong, or have I?

Notarised letter is not needed as over 18.

As they are under 21 their cabin will need to be next door to your cabin or across the hall.

Since they are over 18, you shouldn't need permission. I would recommend asking the friend to bring along a printed medical history with vital info. If he were to get into an accident, you might not know the vital info needed to treat him. Just a thought....

My husband is not traveling with my 6 year old daughter and I, do I need the letter? I just read somewhere that I did, but not from the cruise line. Help would be appreciated as he is currently on a motorcycle trip to the Artic Circle and getting such a letter would be problematic.....

A letter of permission is needed only when a child under 18 is not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Thus you do not need a letter.

While you do not need permission if they are over the age of 18, it would be wise to get health care surrogate leter notorized. This way god forbid something happens out of the country where he cannot make medical decisions and has no family someone in the group would be able to do it for him.

Archived