Cashiers Checks, Credit Card, or Cash?

bulldogbrian

Which is best to use?

If you mean for your Sail & Sign account, we always use a credit card. Some folks like to use cash or a combo of the two. I'd advise against using a debit card because of the holds they put on during the week. I don't know if they'd take a cashiers check, but will take travelers's checks, if you can still find them.

We used cash / travelers checks on our first cruise, and it was a HUGE pain... we completely underestimated the amount our bill would be, and kept having to go wait in a very long line at the desk to add more money... :rolleyes: Next one will be a credit card for sure...

For myself, I plan to put an OBC on my account with Fun Ship Dollars well before I sail. I'll have estimated what I will likely spend. Will then use a credit card. I tend to be very good about knowing what I'm spending, and since the excursions, tips and Bon Voyage items will already be prepaid, the OBC should cover it.

We use a credit card for our on-board expenses and buying stuff in port. However, we always take travelers checks (which are now Travelers Visa cards through AAA) also. We like to have cash with us (for gambling or small locations in port that only take cash) but we don't bring a lot of cash money. At least if our Travelers Check Visa card gets stolen, it will immediately be replaced by AAA.

Plus whatever is left on the card, can be used up once you get home.

We have everything possible paid in advance including money on our Sail & sign. We bring a small amount of cash and travellers cheques for larger amounts. We have them in $50's and $100.'s so we don't have to spend all day signing. We also make sure we have plenty of room on a credit card for emergencies.

Our plan of attack is to purchase Fun Ship Dollars online to pre-load our S&S account. We use our debit cards for everything as we really dislike using our credit cards for things like vacations (I am a firm believer that credit cards are for emergencies only unless you can pay off the balance in one month). Our debit card is also tied to a good rewards program so not only are we paying with money in the bank, but we get points for it as well.

We will also bring along cash in small bills for tips and stuff in port that does not take Visa Debit. We are still on the fence about bringing along Traveler's Check's in case of wanting to add more money onto our S&S account. We are weighing that option against just using our debit card and dealing with the hold, but really we plan to over estimate our pre-load amount on the S&S.

Travelers checks are essentially cash. The easiest way is to use a credit card to "hold" your account...then, pay it off in cash on the last night, if you wish, or just pay the bill in full when you get the credit card bill!

Nothing is actually CHARGED to your credit card until the cruise is over....sort of like charging things to a hotel room....you settle the bill at the end of the trip.

If you decide Debit or Credit, just make sure you call your bank before hand & let them know you're travelling. Personally I like the cash option, that way we are notified when we've gotten to close to our planned budget ;). With credit/debit, they just keep charging & you can be really surprised at the end.

Archived