Ships we saw while in VA Beach

crusinfamof4

I hope these post, even though the pic quality is not very good. We were in VA Beach this past week. We got to watch 2 ships sail in towards Baltimore--we could see the Bay Bridge from our balcony. We had bonoculars and were able to see what ships they were, after a little research. The first one was the Pride cruising past us last Saturday night and then Wednesday night, or Thursday night (sorry cannot remember which one, but think Wednesday) we got RCCL Enchantment of the Seas. The ships were actually closer than they appear in the pics. My DH and I thought it was cool, our DSs could have cared less!

1753.jpg.40d0c4658b1f1d4cb0dbf94661228efc.jpg

1848.jpg.e2fd5fe7fc517a6b97c2495e2359646e.jpg

I spent 9 years in Norfolk/Va beach area while i was in navy. I owned a boat and used to run all the waterways around there. i was there from 84 to 92. ive never seen cruise ships go through there. Always navy and merchant ships. Guess cruising wasnt very popular back then. Kinda miss being there. Even though I grew up In Md and spent many of summers on eastern shore, It was a great experance.. Now i live in Atlanta which is boring and the nearest coast is 300 miles away. But at least Im not to far from cruise ports.

I live in Virginia Beach. I was aware that the Enchantment and Pride come down through from Baltimore, but have never seen them. Of course, since I live here, I am rarely at the beach. (funny how that works)

I am actually waiting ever so patiently for the day when we have a full time ship out of Norfolk. It is frustrating to have a cruise going our only at the times we cannot cruise....and a very small window of availability as far as how long the ship is here.

We planned a cruise last week out of Charleston for next week. We just planned it last week as a last minute decision. We would have cruised out of Norfolk without a thought if we had that choice.

We usually cruise Royal...not for a particular reason, but since we collect points, we figure we might as well stick to one. We are on the Carnival Fantasy next week. Looking forward to different food and activities. Also, we have never been to the Bahamas.

I live in Virginia Beach. I was aware that the Enchantment and Pride come down through from Baltimore, but have never seen them. Of course, since I live here, I am rarely at the beach. (funny how that works)

I am actually waiting ever so patiently for the day when we have a full time ship out of Norfolk. It is frustrating to have a cruise going our only at the times we cannot cruise....and a very small window of availability as far as how long the ship is here.

We planned a cruise last week out of Charleston for next week. We just planned it last week as a last minute decision. We would have cruised out of Norfolk without a thought if we had that choice.

We usually cruise Royal...not for a particular reason, but since we collect points, we figure we might as well stick to one. We are on the Carnival Fantasy next week. Looking forward to different food and activities. Also, we have never been to the Bahamas.

Carnival Glory sails out of Norfolk in May and October. Wish we'd get more ships in! We'd sail a lot more often!:) We usually sail on Princess, but for the right price and not having to fly, I could be persuaded!:rolleyes:

Those are the two ships. See them in Baltimore every week. Really impressive to sail through the VA-MD Bay bridge tunnel. Really looks close. One time we even saw the Pride passing by our room on Enchantment just before we left the Bay at the start of our cruise (Pride was coming into the Bay). Unexpected and awe-inspiring. Like a wall of lights outside our room and happened so quickly we couldn't get a picture.

I am also in Virginia Beach, and would also love to see a full time ship go out of Norfolk. Of course, the only way that would happen would be if the current sailings out of Norfolk would sell out and provide enough profit for the companies to take notice. Hopefully, that will occur.

Carnival has put more sailings on for next year than all previous years - but I would like to see another line offering longer trips to other destinations than the Bahamas. With that being said, I am still absolutely looking forward to going out on the Glory again this October:)

Those are the two ships. See them in Baltimore every week. Really impressive to sail through the VA-MD Bay bridge tunnel. Really looks close. One time we even saw the Pride passing by our room on Enchantment just before we left the Bay at the start of our cruise (Pride was coming into the Bay). Unexpected and awe-inspiring. Like a wall of lights outside our room and happened so quickly we couldn't get a picture.

That's gotta be some sight going through that tunnel:eek:

and the return view. We were on the Pride coming back to Baltimore after our weeks cruise and around 10pm or so we were passing Va beach, all lit up at night

Ha ha ha, almost the same view we had of your ship! It seems so much closer in person, like we could have swam out to them. But then when you take a pic, the ships are SOOOOO far away!

We were just at the Outer Banks off North Carolina. On Friday night we could see a cruise ship miles out that was headed north. Think it was about 10ish. Assumed it could have been the Pride heading home. Does that sound right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You do mean sail under the Bay bridges and over the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel. At least that's what I hope you mean. I have never seen a cruise ship sail through a tunnel. :eek:

I've seen cruise ships sailing past the beach area in Va. Beach.....but even with binoculars, I couldn't make out the names....they are pretty far out there! My mom lives right on the bay within spitting distance of the Bay Bridge/Tunnel....great views she gets of everything, from Navy vessels to cruise ships!

Reminds me of the time we stayed in the Wyndham on Cable Beach, and got to watch all the ships come an go every day.

Most frustrating was they were too far out of sight to see their names. To the novice, the same ships were coming and going every day.

More than likely the Pride unless the Miracle had to off load a sick passenger.

Thank you. I knew it was a Spirit class, but couldn't remember which one was in Baltimore. I do know that it was an amazing sight to be going down into the tunnel and look almost straight up and see the ship going overhead. :)

On our first Fantasy cruise leaving from New Orleans we passed the NCL ship heading back to N.O. in the river. Looked close enough to reach and touch her. Funny thing was it looked like she was moving twice as fast given we were heading in the opposite direction.

Thank you. I knew it was a Spirit class, but couldn't remember which one was in Baltimore. I do know that it was an amazing sight to be going down into the tunnel and look almost straight up and see the ship going overhead. :)

I think we passed by the bridge/tunnel a bit after midnight and it was really eerie seeing headlights heading towards us and then disappear.

I think we passed by the bridge/tunnel a bit after midnight and it was really eerie seeing headlights heading towards us and then disappear.

Just did this on the Pride last night at about this time...even though I live in Va, I have never been across the CBBT, but I can say that I have sailed across. Saw the lights from VA beach too. Really neat.

I wanted to get a pic of the ships going back out tosea the next night, I checked on my phone and found a post on the CCL site and it said the ships usually pass the bay tunnel around 12:30 or 1 am the day they embark. Sunday night for the Pride, I waited and waited and waited. At 1 am I went to bed. My DH found this ship tracker site (that's how we discovered the second ship was Enchantment) and I kept checking all night. By 1 am it was not even close to the bay tunnel. I was a little bummed that I couldn't see them going back out.

We weren't sure if we would be able to see any other cruise ships. I checked Port of Baltimore and those were the only two that were sailing to/from there while we were there.

Here is a pic of the USS Lincoln going to it's new home base in Norfolk. (we had a lot of time on our hands, it rained 2 days we were there)

1759.jpg.0b8f15e0f1dd10bd4a10c03d30eeedbd.jpg

We were just at the Outer Banks off North Carolina. On Friday night we could see a cruise ship miles out that was headed north. Think it was about 10ish. Assumed it could have been the Pride heading home. Does that sound right?

If I remember correctly, the Pride should have been up off the OBX by Saturday Noon from say north of Cape Fear to Duck, NC on the OBX by Sat evening and then turn into the Chesapeake Bay by 10pm or so on Saturday and then we crossed the CBBT around 11pm.

If I remember correctly, the Pride should have been up off the OBX by Saturday Noon from say north of Cape Fear to Duck, NC on the OBX by Sat evening and then turn into the Chesapeake Bay by 10pm or so on Saturday and then we crossed the CBBT around 11pm.

Maybe a NYC cruise or maybe it wasn't Carnival.

Archived