Updated view of the Breakaway

Zimomiller

Here is a link to the webcam at Meyer Werft where the Breakaway is under construction.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=2&subs=0&did=826

The bottom picture is of the Breakaway.

As you can see, the door to the building is open and the Breakaway is the only thing in view. They will be floating in new blocks and then we will see the assembly of all the blocks that have been constructed that sit awaiting their lift into place.

I had a similar reaction.

The ships make their transit backwards down the river to the sea.

Does this mean that the Breakaway will make the transit bow first?

I am not certain there is enough room to turn the ship 180 degrees in that area in front of the building dock.

I had a similar reaction.

The ships make their transit backwards down the river to the sea.

Does this mean that the Breakaway will make the transit bow first?

I am not certain there is enough room to turn the ship 180 degrees in that area in front of the building dock.

Yes I think she'll be bow first which is a bit harder I think.

There might be enough room for her to do the 180. I know she will be longer than Reflection, but clearance might not be as big an issue as we thought originally.

Does anyone know why Meyer Werft is building Breakaway with the bow pointing towards the hall door as opposed to their usual practice?

There might be enough room for her to do the 180. I know she will be longer than Reflection, but clearance might not be as big an issue as we thought originally.

Does anyone know why Meyer Werft is building Breakaway with the bow pointing towards the hall door as opposed to their usual practice?

I think it was purely due to the fact the aft section could be built, I mean if they had just laid the bow part not really much could be stacked up block wise ..

I think it was purely due to the fact the aft section could be built, I mean if they had just laid the bow part not really much could be stacked up block wise ..

Actually, in ship construction the aft section is always built first as the first part of the ship that is constructed is the section containing the engines. (After the Keel-laying, of course)

Actually, in ship construction the aft section is always built first as the first part of the ship that is constructed is the section containing the engines. (After the Keel-laying, of course)

Is she having Azipods or traditional screws like Epic? Im thinking the first but is that a first for NCL?

Is she having Azipods or traditional screws like Epic? Im thinking the first but is that a first for NCL?

Very interesting question. I would like to know that also.

I know however that NCL has alot of ships with Azipods - ex: Star/Dawn and all the Jewel Class ships.

I know however that NCL has alot of ships with Azipods - ex: Star/Dawn and all the Jewel Class ships.

All NCL ships having Azipods (invented and built in Finland, yay! ;)) are built by this same German shipyard so that could hint towards using them in Breakway class too. But on the other hand, it could have nothing to do with anything. :D

I found unconfirmed hearsay about Breakaway having Azipods but couldn't find anything close to reliable to confirm it.

I found a discussion in a photo at Shipspotting that indicates that the Breakaway and Getaway will have azipods.

Apparently these are a new generation of azipods that combined with a new bow design are expected to reduce fuel consumption by 20%.

Obviously not a rock solid answer, but it makes sense based on the pre-Epic classes of ships.

I found a discussion in a photo at Shipspotting that indicates that the Breakaway and Getaway will have azipods.

Apparently these are a new generation of azipods that combined with a new bow design are expected to reduce fuel consumption by 20%.

Obviously not a rock solid answer, but it makes sense based on the pre-Epic classes of ships.

The description in question has also clearly incorrect data ("Flag US / New York") but yep, it really makes sense for the new builds to have azipods.

All NCL ships having Azipods (invented and built in Finland, yay! ;)) are built by this same German shipyard so that could hint towards using them in Breakway class too. But on the other hand, it could have nothing to do with anything. :D

I found unconfirmed hearsay about Breakaway having Azipods but couldn't find anything close to reliable to confirm it.

I know that they didn't want Epic because of the issues seen on other big ships hence why sometimes she struggles with maneouvring the aft end at ports.

I think it was Queen Mary and some of the RCL ones that had to have expensive repairs..

Could also affect the Ems River conveyance as I'm fairly sure they pull rather than push, so the usual aft transfer in reverse would pull water under the hull ?

Archived