Bringing food into Chile

nsync

I read on the boards that Chile checks for food. Are they only looking for fresh or raw food? My cruise ends in Santiago and I was hoping to buy packaged candy, cookies, and wine as souvenirs in the various ports. Thanks for your help!

They do check, with dogs in my experience. I got dog-flagged arriving in Valparaiso. I had a requested gift to deliver in Valparaiso of chocolates. So, I had 2 factory sealed bags of individually-wrapped Ghiradelli chocolates. The dog flagged me and I got pulled out of line and thoroughly searched, but I was allowed in with the chocolates. The searchers acted pretty annoyed with the dog, so I guess that wasn't something he was supposed to alert on. But, they pulled me and the woman next to me out based on the dog sitting down in front of our bags. The woman next to me gave me a good tongue lashing for getting her serached when she saw those bags of chocolates. My Mom had a bunch of hard candies and suckers in her bag and the dog did not alert on her and she did not get searched. I feel certain they are trying to stop agriculture products and fresh produce, so you should be fine.

My experience wiith Agricultural inspections, is the State or Country is trying to protect the fresh produce industry against pests coming into their area on fresh produce. Having been sprayed with insectisides in California, Florida and Texas, and being in the industry so I read the enormous cost of these programs, I would never take a raw product into another producing area.

Processed and packaged goods should never be a problem (Except Ham in Isreal or Beef in some countries).

They do check, with dogs in my experience. I got dog-flagged arriving in Valparaiso. I had a requested gift to deliver in Valparaiso of chocolates. So, I had 2 factory sealed bags of individually-wrapped Ghiradelli chocolates. The dog flagged me and I got pulled out of line and thoroughly searched, but I was allowed in with the chocolates. The searchers acted pretty annoyed with the dog, so I guess that wasn't something he was supposed to alert on. But, they pulled me and the woman next to me out based on the dog sitting down in front of our bags. The woman next to me gave me a good tongue lashing for getting her serached when she saw those bags of chocolates. My Mom had a bunch of hard candies and suckers in her bag and the dog did not alert on her and she did not get searched. I feel certain they are trying to stop agriculture products and fresh produce, so you should be fine.

I personally saw a dog alert on a young crew member several times. He kept shaking his head that no food. He had 1 one orange and he was searched and then sent back to the ship (denied entrance) since he was a crew member. I had wrapped cracker peanutbutter sandwiches that I had in my handbag carried from USA and dog did not alert on that.

Just a for your information: If flying from Santiago airport, get in line even if no gate agents! A mosh pit happens the instant the gates open and people almost get into fights over their place in that ticket line. The electronic ticket machines for checkin are lining up in another unformed mass but the electronic machine did not work the entire 4 hours I was there. Families stand in the ticket line hugging and kissing and fussing but once you check your bags and go to the other part of terminal it calms down lots and less people. :eek: There was a final check at the airplane door of all bags. You had to take your stuff out of hand luggage or they stirred it with their stick one by one. They took your $3 bottle of water away :eek: then you were allowed on the airplane. Don't buy drinks for the plane -- they take them:eek:

Same procedure with dogs in Australian ports. I saw a couple tell the officer what kind of prepacked food they had and showed it to him. He then decided that it was ok. That might be the proper way to go.

The dog sniffed my bag in which I had no food. It obviously smelled the open package of cookies that had been in the bag two days before.

We flew into Santiago earlier this year. We were told by the airline and in correspondence with the tour guide that was picking us up to ensure we had no fresh food or even some kinds of wood products. I always carry chocolate and granola bars in case I can't eat the food on the flight. I didn't declare anything and there was no problem with the packaged food. They are very intent on keeping agricultural pests out of their country and can't blame them as a large portion of their economy is dependent on agricultural products.

I need to carry protein bars to keep blood sugar levels in check, Am I correct in assuming these are ok? Should I have them in hand to show officers?

thanks in advance

Here's the information on the Chilean government website:

Entry of Passengers to Chile with Products of Plant and Animal Origin

http://chileabroad.gov.cl/en/tramites/para-extranjeros/tramites-aduaneros-sag/

Archived